Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

I’m 47…. You just get used it!  It would be odd if you didn’t feel the strain…. Had a full on off-roader today and saw two other people in 9km…. Belting down the hills, sun shining with great music on was life affirming!

Same age as me and @UpTheLeagueFox as it happens, but your profile pic on Strava makes you look about half that! :whistle:

Looks like you had a goodun today :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Come and join our club if you like?

Thanks but think I'll keep my attempts at running private on Strava for the time being

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

I’m 47…. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Same age as me and @UpTheLeagueFox as it happens

Erm, excuse me Howie lad :mad:  I am 46. 

Admittedly I'll be 47 on Thursday next week but I'm clinging on to 46 for the moment lol

• Haha 3

Ever since my half marathon got cancelled I've not really had the motivation to do any running. But got 4 days off work coming up so gonna try and go for a run on at least 2 of those days. But I am starting to miss it tbf, its just nice to be outside and you do feel good after you've done it.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 12:41, Ian W LCFC said:

Ever since my half marathon got cancelled I've not really had the motivation to do any running. But got 4 days off work coming up so gonna try and go for a run on at least 2 of those days. But I am starting to miss it tbf, its just nice to be outside and you do feel good after you've done it.

Exactly the same, sun keeps shining but struggling to get out as I've no races to look forward to. Gonna use the Strava challenges I think in April to keep \ get me going.

On 14/02/2020 at 13:16, Vacamion said:

Ok just joined.  :scarf:

Only doing rare outdoor sorties just now, in between less intense treadmill runs.

Let's see if I can ratchet the outdoor miles up to half marathon by early April.

:)

Oh dearie me.

lol

I've been doing runs for the last six weeks without realising that you have to sign up, pay after a month, then start "recording" before you run, having given the App location permissions.

I'd downloaded the App in mid Feb and thought that was all I had to do and it was recording my runs.   :doh:

It's now sorted (well, I think so) and my first slow plod round 5km has been added.

I'm carrying a slight calf injury on one leg and a persistently crap achilles on the other, but I still like a twirl round the block, the occasional 10k and this weekend would have been the Berlin half, sniff sniff...

5 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Oh dearie me.

lol

I've been doing runs for the last six weeks without realising that you have to sign up, pay after a month, then start "recording" before you run, having given the App location permissions.

I'd downloaded the App in mid Feb and thought that was all I had to do and it was recording my runs.   :doh:

It's now sorted (well, I think so) and my first slow plod round 5km has been added.

I'm carrying a slight calf injury on one leg and a persistently crap achilles on the other, but I still like a twirl round the block, the occasional 10k and this weekend would have been the Berlin half, sniff sniff...

I think you can still use the app, record your runs etc. without paying for it can't you?

I'm sure I've used it O.K. for over a month now without needing to pay. I'm sure @Wolfox will confirm!

Went out for a run with my fat, unfit 10 year old boy today. Useless fvcker kept stopping and making excuses and basically ruined it for me. Can't believe I'm nearly 5 times his age and it much better shape than him. The youth of today and their bloody video games eh? I blame the parents :ph34r: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I think you can still use the app, record your runs etc. without paying for it can't you?

I'm sure I've used it O.K. for over a month now without needing to pay. I'm sure @Wolfox will confirm!

Went out for a run with my fat, unfit 10 year old boy today. Useless fvcker kept stopping and making excuses and basically ruined it for me. Can't believe I'm nearly 5 times his age and it much better shape than him. The youth of today and their bloody video games eh? I blame the parents :ph34r: 

@Vacamion  - Strava is completely free unless you sign up to one of there paid for programmes 

11 hours ago, Wolfox said:

@Vacamion  - Strava is completely free unless you sign up to one of there paid for programmes 

The only way it would let me in was if I signed up for a free trial which ends on 30 Apr, at which stage, I'll be charged £47.99

I think I'm doing it wrong.

Screenshot_20200401-072109_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, Vacamion said:

The only way it would let me in was if I signed up for a free trial which ends on 30 Apr, at which stage, I'll be charged £47.99

I think I'm doing it wrong.

Screenshot_20200401-072109_Gallery.jpg

just don’t renew it…. You’ll find you can still record runs no problem at all

• Thanks 1

Only just got the app, seems good. I’m aiming to get a sub 20 minute 5k but at my age and as someone who only really started running a few years ago it might be hard. Good fun aiming for it though. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Only just got the app, seems good. I’m aiming to get a sub 20 minute 5k but at my age and as someone who only really started running a few years ago it might be hard. Good fun aiming for it though. X 

I'm going for the same goal :)

Hit 23-flat this time last year, then was in about 22:30 shape at November. Then did my marathon training (but no race) before getting 21:20 in a time trial last week. Once I get my mojo back to do some specific 5k training I'll be doing a lot more speedwork and hoping to get sub-20 at some point over the summer... Fingers crossed :D 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Hit 23-flat this time last year, then was in about 22:30 shape at November. Then did my marathon training (but no race) before getting 21:20 in a time trial last week. Once I get my mojo back to do some specific 5k training I'll be doing a lot more speedwork and hoping to get sub-20 at some point over the summer... Fingers crossed :D 

I hit 26.07 for 5km last month on the treadmill before the lockdown (I'm even older than Rumble btw) and felt quite good about myself. Figured I could maybe shave another minute off that by the summer, so set myself a target of 25.14

Reckoned if I could achieve that I'd be exactly twice as slow as the world record lol

How the fvck can they run 5km in 12.37? Madness! 

• Like 1

Did a 42 min 10km (when I was 17 ☹️)

Can nudge up to the 25 min mark when I’m lean and really hit my straps…

I get a lot more out of my trail running…. I think rough terrain must add at least another 1 min per Km (seeing as I occasionally have to run through goo and vault over gates)

met a traffic jam yesterday!  Was completely stuck behind a massive herd of cows going in for milking !

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 3

On 02/04/2020 at 15:17, Xen said:

Sounds like you’re a wee bit ahead of me, well done! My best time is bang on 22 minutes. I’m 39 and have jogged periodically in my life but only started doing it regularly and recording times and distances very recently so I’m quite happy with where I am. I think in another life I could’ve been a decent runner as I’ve probably got the build. Just wish I’d started at 15 rather than 35 haha! 

Good luck with your efforts! The speed work really helps I think as makes “race pace” feel slower and easier. X 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Out yesterday for the usual 5k, forgot to turn the app to "record".  

I'm really coming across in this thread like I'm a right old technophobe.  lol

Haha done it a few times so you’re not the only one. X