Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Formula 1 2020

6 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Tax avoidance. 

Hes actually one of the top 5000 tax papers in the UK. He pays tax on any earnings he makes in the UK and that's fine. Does he earn money elsewhere and not pay tax here on that? Well yes, and we don't have system where UK nationals pay tax on all earnings made outside the UK. So what if he lives abroad, millions of others do too.

14 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Maybe. The one I remember was that private jet about 4 years ago.

Either way if I was in his position I'd be doing exactly the same, so I don't blame him one bit.

He used a legal rule to avoid vat on a jet totalling £3.3m. He pays what he legally owes. There are some, and some of those have been honoured who pay **** all on anything. Funnel everything through offshore accounts etc.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He used a legal rule to avoid vat on a jet totalling £3.3m. He pays what he legally owes. There are some, and some of those have been honoured who pay **** all on anything. Funnel everything through offshore accounts etc.

I can't think why Lewis Hamilton is being picked on. There must be a reason. Wonder what it could be...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I don't disagree, he uses legal loopholes to get out of paying tax, I'd be doing the same if I had his money.

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I can't think why Lewis Hamilton is being picked on. There must be a reason. Wonder what it could be...

He gets grief because of his hypocrisy, same as people like Piers Morgan. There might be some people who dislike him because of his skin colour, but I'd wager they're a very small minority of idiotic people.

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Its not even the plane thing, so not aimed at Leicester_Loyal, for some its just the fact he lives abroad and supposedly pays no tax. Much like celebrated actor, wife beater and Knight of the realm, the late Sean Connery.

To be fair my comment wasn't actually directed at anyone on here. At least not knowingly. There are some that will hate on him purely because they can't fathom a black person being vastly more successful than them and then feel angered even more that Hamilton dares to be recognised for it. And yes it may be a minority but it's still more than should be existing. 

20 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't disagree, he uses legal loopholes to get out of paying tax, I'd be doing the same if I had his money.

He gets grief because of his hypocrisy, same as people like Piers Morgan. There might be some people who dislike him because of his skin colour, but I'd wager they're a very small minority of idiotic people.

What's he hypocritical about? I understand an F1 driver talking about environmentalism might seem a tad hypocritical, but they are working to be carbon neutral, if they aren't already. I'm struggling to think where hid actions have gone against what he preaches.

Morgan got hate because he was biased, and didn't hide it. I've started to respect him a lot more recently as he actually done his job and asked the government tough questions, and fought against gun use in America, going against the grain of his usual fans.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

What's he hypocritical about? I understand an F1 driver talking about environmentalism might seem a tad hypocritical, but they are working to be carbon neutral, if they aren't already. I'm struggling to think where hid actions have gone against what he preaches.

Morgan got hate because he was biased, and didn't hide it. I've started to respect him a lot more recently as he actually done his job and asked the government tough questions, and fought against gun use in America, going against the grain of his usual fans.

He flies his dog around the world on his private jet whilst talking about how we each need to do our bit for the environment. It's the same mentality as a lot of these celebs, 'do as I say, not do as I do'. Others will see it as great that a man with his stature is choosing to preach about the environment, but a lot (as I do) find it hypocritical.

5 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Fair play to those critical of Hamilton and the tax theories for declaring they would voluntarily pay tax in a country they chose to move out of

You know apparently we can all voluntarily pay higher tax, you just have to contact HRMC and discuss it, I never realised this until a few months agolol

I won't ever be critical of Hamilton and his tax situation personally, because I know I'd be doing exactly the same.

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He flies his dog around the world on his private jet whilst talking about how we each need to do our bit for the environment. It's the same mentality as a lot of these celebs, 'do as I say, not do as I do'. Others will see it as great that a man with his stature is choosing to preach about the environment, but a lot (as I do) find it hypocritical.

I'm sure I'd read somewhere that he'd got rid of his private jet. Or am I imagining that?

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think he did. Then he started talking more about the environment and I don't think he even has the jet anymore. So if he's changed his outlook, and therefore his ways, I'm not sure he can be labelled hypocritical.

• 2 weeks later...