Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Shortage items thread

4 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I usually shop at Aldi but their supplies of almost every essential item has been nothing short of abysmal for the last few weeks. I've made two trips to Shelthorpe Tesco in as many weeks and have got everything I need on both occasions with no bother at all (except baked beans). Went earlier an hour after opening, they had eggs, pasta, meat, toilet roll, soap, vegetables, frozen stuff, no problem whatsoever. Bit light on cleaning stuff but still some availability. The nearby Aldi have had next to none of these items since the stockpiling began

I am a consultant to Aldi and its a complaint they are getting a lot regarding their stock levels. 

The problem is with them and Lidl is the number of staff in the stores as if they are on the tills they cant put the stock out. They go and put the stock out and people cant get through the tills. Their sales were up by something like 180% last  week which is ridiculous for them they arent built to cope with demand like they currently have. 

They are currently on a massive recuitment drive and hoping to double their staff in each store but obviously this isnt that straight forward.

Personally it maybe easier to go to the bigger stores that have shelf stacking staff (more than ever) and till staff. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I usually shop at Aldi but their supplies of almost every essential item has been nothing short of abysmal for the last few weeks. I've made two trips to Shelthorpe Tesco in as many weeks and have got everything I need on both occasions with no bother at all (except baked beans). Went earlier an hour after opening, they had eggs, pasta, meat, toilet roll, soap, vegetables, frozen stuff, no problem whatsoever. Bit light on cleaning stuff but still some availability. The nearby Aldi have had next to none of these items since the stockpiling began

I went shelthorpe aldi on Saturday 9.30 and got pretty much everything on my list bar Weetabix. There weren’t any cleaning products however I didn’t need any. Didn’t look for loo roll here either

2 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Aldi syston has been spot on, best shop I've used in the last week. Been twice to get essentials now kids are off and I've been impressed both times. Now Thurmaston asda on the other hand.

Thurmaston Asda was awful a full two weeks before the bog roll tea leafs turned up, one or two essential item shelves had very little in. I said at the scan yourself till to the woman who hovers there it needs filling, some nearby woman pipes up people are panic buying, this was two weeks before the bog roll episode.

Tesco Shelltorpe on Saturday was the opposite, I got spuds, eggs, even a loaf but only what was left which was a whole meal toastie. No cleaning stuff like Asda but they seemed more stocked up. Aldi close by could've been the answer with more going there, I don't know.

I think a lot depends on your luck when you walk in. 

Another few weeks before I can go full on The Goode life though, so the fight for nose bag will go on for now. I can't live on salad leafs which is all I've got now with radishes maybe early next week.

Need a couple of hens, a boar and a heffer, Melton market is tempting. Pheasants a plenty around here though.

1 hour ago, promised land said:

Need a couple of hens, a boar and a heffer, Melton market is tempting. 

You can have my wife on a long term loan if you want.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, promised land said:

Thurmaston Asda was awful a full two weeks before the bog roll tea leafs turned up, one or two essential item shelves had very little in. I said at the scan yourself till to the woman who hovers there it needs filling, some nearby woman pipes up people are panic buying, this was two weeks before the bog roll episode.

Tesco Shelltorpe on Saturday was the opposite, I got spuds, eggs, even a loaf but only what was left which was a whole meal toastie. No cleaning stuff like Asda but they seemed more stocked up. Aldi close by could've been the answer with more going there, I don't know.

I think a lot depends on your luck when you walk in. 

Another few weeks before I can go full on The Goode life though, so the fight for nose bag will go on for now. I can't live on salad leafs which is all I've got now with radishes maybe early next week.

Need a couple of hens, a boar and a heffer, Melton market is tempting. Pheasants a plenty around here though.

Aldi benefits from 3 deliveries a day meaning theres a constant rotation of stock. Stocking overnight at the major stores means once it's gone it's gone.

I went in aldi at 5 or 6 PM the other night and they had just had loads of bread in, ideal as unless you know when the deliveries have turned up you cant just turn up at opening and buy it all up.

My shopping habits will change after this and where I shop may as well.

Also found the couple of shops in the corners of the Avenues in syston well stocked as well as goscote as well. Maybe the rise of the local again. I doubt it tho.

There's a few "Asian" cash n Carry's around Green lane road area which have big roll etc if anyone's still struggling(A1 cash n carry( also Pak stores on Uppingham Road near Humbo Park

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

On 24/03/2020 at 07:12, Raj said:

There's a few "Asian" cash n Carry's around Green lane road area which have big roll etc if anyone's still struggling(A1 cash n carry( also Pak stores on Uppingham Road near Humbo Park

Not a bog roll to be had in Shepton Mallet. Still miles of empty shelves. Can you get one of your friends to set up shop down here? Then I could also buy one or two Indian treats that are unavailable here and I normally buy when I come up to Leicester. Lime pickle is about as exotic as it gets down here in the West Country. 

• Haha 1

On 24/03/2020 at 07:12, Raj said:

Asked in our 'Asian Cornershop' if they had any bog rolls answer No! bought 4/5 other items Bog roll suddenly appeared. 

Fair enough I guess although I have used the shop plenty of times before this all started perhaps he didn't recognise me as us old white fogeys all look the same. :P

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

Not a bog roll to be had in Shepton Mallet. Still miles of empty shelves. Can you get one of your friends to set up shop down here? Then I could also buy one or two Indian treats that are unavailable here and I normally buy when I come up to Leicester. Lime pickle is about as exotic as it gets down here in the West Country. 

I always assume we all live in Leicester.

Sent @Izzy a message about big roll a d he replied "Mate I'm about 200 Mike trip away from there!!!"

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, davieG said:

Asked in our 'Asian Cornershop' if they had any bog rolls answer No! bought 4/5 other items Bog roll suddenly appeared. 

Fair enough I guess although I have used the shop plenty of times before this all started perhaps he didn't recognise me as us old white fogeys all look the same. :P

You whities do indeed all look the same to us!!!! 

There was a video of a newsagents in London charging a tenner for a roll....when this all calms down I hope people remember these shops.

Supply and demand us all fine but there's taking the p!ss

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Raj said:

You whities do indeed all look the same to us!!!! 

There was a video of a newsagents in London charging a tenner for a roll....when this all calms down I hope people remember these shops.

Supply and demand us all fine but there's taking the p!ss

Some white English people have a lot to answer for.

I once worked in a professional institution whose main activity was servicing its membership.

I had a lot of difficulty explaining to the 'senior' registration clerk that a married Sikh couple would not have the same name. Husband - Singh. Wife - Kaur. To no effect. Mrs Kaur was repeatedly addressed as 'Mrs Singh' for months until she rang up the ignorant Telegraph-reading bonehead in the office upstairs to ask him to change it.

He still didn't get the message - for days we had to listen to all his cr@p that 'they are all coming over here and they are taking our jobs. Mrs Thatcher should send them all back'. It was that long ago!!!

59 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

Some white English people have a lot to answer for.

I once worked in a professional institution whose main activity was servicing its membership.

I had a lot of difficulty explaining to the 'senior' registration clerk that a married Sikh couple would not have the same name. Husband - Singh. Wife - Kaur. To no effect. Mrs Kaur was repeatedly addressed as 'Mrs Singh' for months until she rang up the ignorant Telegraph-reading bonehead in the office upstairs to ask him to change it.

He still didn't get the message - for days we had to listen to all his cr@p that 'they are all coming over here and they are taking our jobs. Mrs Thatcher should send them all back'. It was that long ago!!!

Thank god times have changed.

I can deal with the odd prat nowadays.

Most if you whities aren't bad!!!! 

There's tw@ts in all of us!!!

LOL xxx

• Thanks 1