Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan.Reynolds

Willie Thorne

Very sad, indeed..

Let alone being in a hospital in itself, it must've been really stressful for his family seeing him in such a critical situation that he was in in Spain.

He's certainly had a tough few years, needless to say months, considering other factors in his later life such as the well-publicised gambling battles.

@UpTheLeagueFox, may I kindly ask whether his brother's death was due to quite similar circumstances (if anyone knows)?

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Read that he was in a coma yesterday. 

Saw Lineker say he was hoping he'd pull through (I think they're good mates).

RIP.

He was best man at Lineker's wedding.  

Sad news.

I still remember that easy missed blue that would have given him the UK Championship.

Back in the days when I regularly made breaks into double figures on the baize  I spent many an hour at Willie's club.

Proper snooker club, 24 tables, all in good nick, good bar, good home cooking (Willie's Mum) well run by Malcolm (Willie's brother) & always a smile & welcome to all from Willie.

Great memories. R.I.P Willie Thorne.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

I don’t often do Twitter but saw Linekers tweet and read hundreds of lovely comments and tributes about Willie which were lovely to read.

Then there’s about 5% of comments that were really disrespectful and clearly trolling Gary.

Why can’t Twitter just ban these cvnts? 

It’s like playing wackermole mate 😩

11 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Top bloke, used to bet thousands on which raindrop would reach the bottom of a window first and the like, obviously had his issues in regards to that but we all have our vices in life, always loved how he'd talk through a break, calling the right shots to play and how far ahead the player would be thinking etc, really knew a lot about the game. Know some people who met him and all only have good things to say. RIP. 

Indeed. Used to work above his snooker club on Charles Street in the mid 90s and spent a lot of time in there. He was a sound bloke and his brother Malcolm was an absolute gent (think he might have died quite young as well). 

Willie was a rubbish gambler though and he tended to spend more time in the bookies over the road than in the club.  Had a failsafe system of backing the 2nd fav in every race... 

RIP

Won’t get many with a bad word to say about him.

He had his demons which a lot of us can relate to.

Loved playing in his snooker club when I was a kid. 

RIP Willie. Hope you’re having a ball up there with Keith Weller and Vichai.