Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Scared of Spiders?

7 minutes ago, Kegworthfox said:

a couple of conkers in the room is the best deterrent see very few 

Even though there is no proper research to find out whether spiders really are tempted to crawl inside conkers, there is one study.

Pupils studying at Roselyon Primary School in Cornwall won a Royal Society of Chemistry prize in 2010 for their study on the subject.

The experiment managed to debunk the myth by showing spiders weren’t fazed by conkers.

The children put spiders in boxes with conkers and found the spiders simply climbed over the conkers rather than inside them.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1336502/do-conkers-stop-spiders#:~:text=According to WoodlandTrust.org%3A “,and die within one day.

45 minutes ago, davieG said:

Even though there is no proper research to find out whether spiders really are tempted to crawl inside conkers, there is one study.

Pupils studying at Roselyon Primary School in Cornwall won a Royal Society of Chemistry prize in 2010 for their study on the subject.

The experiment managed to debunk the myth by showing spiders weren’t fazed by conkers.

The children put spiders in boxes with conkers and found the spiders simply climbed over the conkers rather than inside them.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1336502/do-conkers-stop-spiders#:~:text=According to WoodlandTrust.org%3A “,and die within one day.

What a groundbreaking feat of scientific experimentation lol 

Not having a pop at them by the way, they’re kids (!!) it just made me laugh. 

Edited by Manini

3 hours ago, Manini said:

Worst thing in the world when they disappear in your house! Puts me on edge. 

We were cleaning my mrs’ grandads garden out a few weeks ago, there were a few paving slabs lying up against the wall in the section I was clearing. I went through all the old bits of wood that was in front of them with my gloves on and thought **** I bet there’s loads of mad insects living in here. I went to move one of these paving slabs and I lifted it up and looked at the side that had been facing the wall and I’m not joking you there was a spider on there that was bigger than my bastard hand and it was just glaring at me. I swung this slab round and chucked it as far away as I could, could have taken somebody out if they were stood behind me. I legged it and refused to do any more it completely nocked me for 6 lol Somebody else picked the slab up after to look at it but it’d obviously ran off in to another part of the garden. Horrendous. 

Were your parents or siblings scared of spiders?

On 08/10/2020 at 09:32, Manini said:

Worst thing in the world when they disappear in your house! Puts me on edge. 

We were cleaning my mrs’ grandads garden out a few weeks ago, there were a few paving slabs lying up against the wall in the section I was clearing. I went through all the old bits of wood that was in front of them with my gloves on and thought **** I bet there’s loads of mad insects living in here. I went to move one of these paving slabs and I lifted it up and looked at the side that had been facing the wall and I’m not joking you there was a spider on there that was bigger than my bastard hand and it was just glaring at me. I swung this slab round and chucked it as far away as I could, could have taken somebody out if they were stood behind me. I legged it and refused to do any more it completely nocked me for 6 lol Somebody else picked the slab up after to look at it but it’d obviously ran off in to another part of the garden. Horrendous. 

1ca080e8b949342a5d2389c7b24712f8fb7de8c1_00.jpg.2b0899060ec41ffe9a2efe71d67a843d.jpg

Hate the big, fast house spiders. Don’t mind the fat-arsed ones you get in the garden or the spindly ones that always seem to be hanging around in bathrooms.

But the big, fast fvckers that come out of nowhere, usually when you’re relaxing and watching a film or something can fvck off.

I used to get thousands of them in the autumn, crawling out of every crack and crevice.

Since then I have got new windows and, compared with an old wooden sash window with a box frame, a upvc window doesn't really offer them many places to hide.

I can't see a window company using this as a selling point though!