Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Why City?? What keeps you interested??

It’s just something in your blood you can’t help.

Can change your job, girlfriend, colour of skin but you can’t change your club if your a true supporter.

The football system in general the way it’s going will ruin the game and put me off football probably but I’d still support, it’s in the DNA, it can’t be helped.

Growing up in the 90s , I wasn’t really into football until I was about 8, no recollection of 90-96.
First memories I remember we’re 97/98. I knew Leicester were in the league and vaguely saw our games, loved Heskey and wanted to see us do well but loved watching the Arsenal team of Anelka, Bergkamp Petit, Overmars and Viera. I remember the 1-0 win at Old Trafford and being happy Arsenal were going to win the league. That season really got me into football but not so much Leicester at this point.

98/99 I remember being 2-0 up at Old Trafford and being really upset when it ended 2-2. However months down the line, I got into the top 2 battle again but because of the hysteria going on, I actually wanted Utd and not Arsenal this time. I remember being happy when Utd beat Spurs on the final day and completed the treble vs Bayern, I even had Man Utd kids alarm clock for my bday that year!

97-99 those 2 seasons got my love for football however only a fleeting interest in Leicester.

99/00 changed that. I started following Leicester a bit more and remember us doing really well early season but then started losing I think about 4/5 in a row around Xmas and lost interest, although remember watching Tranmere in the final and being happy(although at the time didn’t really understand how good it is for a club like us to win a major trophy).

However between 2000-2002, those 2 years I for some reason barely followed or remember anything. Last year at primary-first at secondary probably had big reasons but looking back on those seasons now, barely remember much that I remembered at the time, although the Micheal Owen cup final sticks in my mind.

Then came the true start. 2002-2003. In Leicester with my late nan and family(who arnt at all into football). It was on the Saturday evening after we had just beaten Watford and as I found that out , it suddenly clicked - I’m a Leicester fan!

We won 1-0 away at Stoke then lost 6-1 away at Ipswich and I was really angry with that. Started following religiously each Saturday and always knew what we were doing and our result.

From then on Ive been 100% 🦊 . So after the initial promotion , the early part of my years was watching us get relegated and then season after season , boring useless middling Championship seasons. Was pretty much what I knew, but at the time I loved it.

I live 3 hours from Leicester but regularly went to games between 03-08 maybe 5/6 a season and was excited every time I visited(looking how far we’ve come I can’t imagine being so excited for that crap!).

Was easy to get tickets back then as not so much since for a non season ticket holder(why a bigger stand is a must).

Muzzy, Lennon and Heskey were hero’s of mine growing up despite not following the absolute ins and outs in the late 90s, I then loved Dickov and Izzet upset me leaving for Birmingham.

It was so hard to find anyone to like in that shocking era, a little fondness for Nalis and Hume but that’s was desperate.

Andy king came along and was a Leicester boy , him and Lloyd Dyer made me happy. It was great supporting us finally winning some games, I hadn’t experienced this up until that point it was so exciting and that’s been the start of the incredible excitement most seasons.

Since then Jamie Vardy became my favourite ever player. Straight away from the first season I liked him. Most fans were on his back after a poor first season but I was on the few that never doubted him.

At the time there was rubbish on here like ‘waste of 1 million’ , ‘ship him out the Sheffield Wednesday’ and I remember thinking ‘this guy has something about him, I don’t want him to leave’.

I remember moaning constantly on that 2012/13 bad run before the playoffs and ultimately the Watford debacle that we wernt playing in and he’d be better than Wood or Kane(who at the time I claimed was probably the worst player to put a Leicester shirt on!). Back to Vardy though was really hoping he stayed and on pre season with his stupid haircut I was delighted. He scored a cracker at Middlesborough on day 1 and never looked back.

There was a ton of times he’s been questioned at certain points (14/15,16/17 under Ranieri, 18/19 under Puel, 19/20 after lockdown) and every single time I’ve fought his corner because he’s an enigma and the best player that’s ever played for us.

Modern day miracle.

And this is all what keeps me interested. I’ve seen us at our VERY worst, and I’ve seen us at our VERY best and everything in between. I love this club and will support us to a CL victory over Real Madrid or a last day great escape out the football league vs Notts County. It’s in the blood and I can’t change it and I can imagine there’s millions of fans around the world that think the same about their club and why Project Big Picture arnt thinking(more caring) how it would ruin so many fans traditions and lives!

• Like 1

Distance wise, we’re probably closer to winning the champions league than we were to finishing in the top 6 of the Premier League 12 years ago. Which is insane.

I’d like us to seriously target the Europa League and FA Cup Over the coming seasons, silverware is something tangible and will give us incredible memories in a way strong league finishes don’t.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

I think we are universally lucky to support Leicester, usually by a twist of geographic fate. I'm proud to come from Leicester, proud to support my hometown club, proud my son does and his son in turn (his daughter is 1 yr  but she has got the kit of course and loves a ball to play with)

I've lived 156 miles away for half of my life but support them just as much and we travel over 300 miles every other week to the KP

Those of us who have been going down for ages like me since about 1964 have paid our dues in more poor performances than good  

We were a team that went to and fro between the first and second division but with moments of excitement with cup runs

Every decade or so, we'd do something special to hold out the hope that one day we could compete with the best, win a trophy

The Jimmy Bloomfield era - Weller, Worthington, Glover, Birchenall

The Brian Little era - Steve Thompson, Ewan Roberts, Mark Wallington

Mon - Izzet, Guppy, Walsh, Elliott, Heskey, Lennon, Joachim, Flowers

Now the greatest period in our history under Pearson, Ranneri, Pearson, Rogers made possibly by the greatest owners a club could have and in return we have formed a unique bond between fans and owners and I've witnessed without doubt the GOAT in Jamie Vardy

No other team has given their fans as much joy tinged with some heartbreak as ours has, especially over the last 25 years. I've shared all those memories with my son as I guess many fathers (and mothers) have done with their children - utterly priceless. This is what football means, it's sport, it's life-affirming, it's family both our own, and everyone who wears the shirt. "Its the amazing Leicester City"

Surprised if going down since early sixties didnt  mention the Gillies  era arguablly as good as any

Being a City fan is a very addictive thing because we are a massive yo-yo club (I mean over the past thirty years or so)

I became a ‘proper fan’ the season Brian Little took over as manager. Since then we’ve had promotions, relegations, div 1, Peter Taylor, a Prem title under Ranners etc etc

This is why it’s so addictive... you never know what’s coming next. 
Being a fan of one of the ‘big clubs’ must be boring really. You are generally nearly always expecting to win

Winning is so much more delicious when you’ve lost before. 

• Like 3

Born a mile from Filbert Street, first match in 1973. Seen a lot but this era is by far the best as it’s sustained. We had the odd player before and a great team under MON for a while but nothing like today.

There is a language, culture and community you belong to when you support a club and tribalism kicks in so you care about the outcomes.

Leicester have had a magical time over the last 6 years-long may it continue 

On 11/10/2020 at 20:15, Paninistickers said:

My City.. unfashionable.. unremarkable. Nondescript accent and characteristics...it sums me.up personally and I love it. The club is me. 

The buzz I get off an ordinary mid table, mid season away win on a Saturday afternoon at a palace, a West ham, a Newcastle is an extraordinary high. An absolute drug. The obscenist of drugs.

Replying to you because of my story.Mentioned it loads,but will say it again.

First glittery badge I got in my Panini sticker book in the early 80s was Leicester.Never looked back.

What irks me around here is I’m surrounded by Spurs ,Arsenal Ipswich and Norwich and they wonder why I support Leicester.Mileage wise it’s actually closer.

Used to get free tickets for Norwich as a kid .Dave Watson used to live next door to my aunt and uncle.Never changed my allegiance .