Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Why City?? What keeps you interested??

Don't really remember it, but my Mam told me I roared my eyes out when we lost the Cup to Spurs in 61- so maybe it's not even a conscious thing.

Started going down in 63, and the noise,  colour,  drama and sheer Leicesterness of it all captivated me. 

Different game then of course - still being available to the general population - but depite it all it's a lifelong obsession. 

How could it not be? 

I am proud of the city and particularly the club I have supported for 55 years and although I live in Spain I watch all the games on Tv and last season was the first season I hadn’t been to at least 1 game. It should be law you support your home town team 😀

Edited by mazarron fox

It's in my blood! 

My Grandfather had a trial with the City over a hundred years ago, my father took me to see them when I was young. I'm now 67 and my sons are city fans. 

One of my granddaughters is now also a keen city fan, she's 8.

Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

I'm probably going to get pelters for this but here it goes...

Growing up in the 90s, the vast majority of people in the home country supported Man Utd and Liverpool with the odd Arsenal / Newcastle / Leeds / Chelsea fan.

I originally had a passing interest on Man Utd until around 96/97, my Dad supported Leicester since the 60s but although I liked seeing Leicester do well at the time I basically copied my mates in being more interested in Man U 

Anyway, I remember enjoying the Man U 94 double but when they won the 96 double I wasnt really bothered, even though I was a just a kid I could comprehend that I wasnt really feeling it and the only joy from the FA Cup win was seeing Liverpool lose. I started to become more interested in Leicester in 95/96 mainly because of my dad and the fact they had Northern Irish connections at the time with O'Neill and Lennon and felt it more when Leicester won the play offs against Man U's double. Even though I 'supported' Man U, I felt that I just picked them 'just because' but with Leicester there was a genuine reason.

I guess Leicester getting promoted to the premier league helped so you could argue I was a glory hunter of sorts (a bad glory hunter at that) and it was only really when Man U beat us in the league in 96/97 that I knew Leicester were my team as I was really disappointed with the result. 

Didnt take long for me to start hating Man U of course but as a Leicester supporter I've never looked back since of course.

Always funny when the subject of football comes up and I mention I'm a Leicester fan. The first question is always 'why?', even had some thinking I only starting supporting Leicester since 2016, which I see as a compliment!

• Like 2

Growing up, before the age of 10 I had little to no interest in football. I grew up without a Dad, my Grandad, who was a passionate Celtic fan, has passed away before I was 3 years old. The only male influence I had was my Uncle. 

He used to work for Shipmans and at the time got the odd free tickets for games. 

He only had a daughter with no interest in football and me, being without a dad, he used to take me to games. I had no idea what was going on, and I'd have quite happily never gone to football again. Then came world cup Italia '90. 

As a young 9 year old, fresh faced lad, I fell for that England team. By this time, my uncles influence had started to rub off on me, I was playing football (badly) for my primary school team and I'd developed a sort of understanding for the game, but not stretching much passed more goals than the opposition meant we won! 

At the time though, around that summer I was still far from a Leicester fan. I was more a fan of individual players. David Platt was the 1st player I remember admiring, and I actually used to watch a fair bit of Aston Villa purely because of him, back when football was still free to watch on TV. 

I started watching more and more football, weirdly as I started to play rugby. I used to enjoy playing rugby, but not watching and vice versa for football. 

My 1st memories of hurting because of Leicester city, were spent in the Daniel Lambert pub. It was the 1993 playoff final against Swindon. Me, being the new football enthusiast, got caught up in the drama of it all, surrounded by fellow Leicester fans, I felt the disappointment of it, and it hurt, didn't know why, just did.

My uncle, sensing my new found love for football started taking me to more and more Leicester games, I enjoyed them more and more each time. Then my true love for Leicester began at the playoff final Vs Derby. My 1st trip to Wembley. My mum and nan had bought me a fox leisure tracksuit especially for the occasion. A visit to paper tiger to aquire blue ribbons and rosettes to decorate the car, my face painted before we set off. 

The whole occasion was something very, very special and I was totally enthralled by it all, and so my love for Leicester city truly began. The season after, being true glory boys, my uncle bought us season tickets for the premier league season, I've had one ever since. 

I can't describe why or how I feel about Leicester city. It's just there. 

To be part of the crowd in my early teens I had a few Man U shirts, but my "love" for them came and went. As I grew up and my understanding of being a football fan matured, I dropped "2nd" teams. There was no Villa or Man U, it was just Leicester and that will never, ever change. As I approached my later teen years, around 15, 16, 17 I was a die hard Leicester fan. Being Cantona, or even Romario (had big love for Romario during and after the '94 World cup) made way for being Kaamark and man marking the schools best player at lunch time. 

I'm proud to be Leicester fan, I'm so happy I've been through the lows of being a Leicester fan because it's made me really appreciate the highs. Standing in the ground watching us lift the league 1 trophy was a major high after a good few years if complete and utter dross. Sliding on my knees across the living room floor, major carpet burns, when King scored in the playoff semi at Cardiff a year later. The anger and hurt at Kermorgants penalty. 

The wondering what the hell was going on when watching us play under Sousa, the excitement of bringing Sven in, the realisation that we were much better off with Person after all. The complete heartbreak of that Deeney goal, so much so that I forgot football existed for an entire summer. And everything that followed in the years after. 

The sense of complete pride watching Bocelli sing, the champions league anthem playing before a quarter final. And thats all within the last 11/12 years!!

It must be in the DNA, and that's why its Leicester for me. What keeps me interested is my pure love, pride and investment in everything Leicester city

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Union FS.

The group bond and friendships that come with it. Without them and being around guys that want to actively make a match day more fun I would have sacked it off.

Exactly the same for me, absolutely no chance I'd still be going without these lads. 

Born in Burton on Trent but Dad, Grandad and all that side of the family born in Leicester. Was raised with them as the family team and could never change that. Started following them properly when I was 8 or so (late 1980s). The O’Neill years were probably the team I first properly fell in love with. Spent a lot of time as a kid visiting Leicester and Leicestershire and went to Leicester Uni in the late 90s/early 00s so got to see the end of the MON era and the start of the Taylor one. Joy. X

Edited by RumbleFox

58 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Born in Burton on Trent but Dad, Grandad and all that side of the family born in Leicester. Was raised with them as the family team and could never change that. Started following them properly when I was 8 or so (late 1980s). The O’Neill years were probably the team I first properly fell in love with. Spent a lot of time as a kid visiting Leicester and Leicestershire and went to Leicester Uni in the late 90s/early 00s so got to see the end of the MON era and the start of the Taylor one. Joy. X

Joy! Watching the Taylor era you poor soul! 

• Like 1

Because Leicester's everything that makes football the greatest sport in the world.

Seesawing highs and lows.

Mateship and sacrifice.

Going to war for 90 minutes.

And fans and players uniting for something bigger than themselves.

It's hard to describe but why I fell in love with Leicester was almost encapsulated by the club being the solitary vote against the pay-per-view games.

I've loved football my whole life but never followed a club till discovering Leicester.

In a time where the game is more saturated (at least pre covid times) with money than ever before, Leicester in my eyes stands head and shoulders above the rest in trying to still remain a football club with the primary goal of respecting the greatest game in the world before anything else. 

Edited by Hawk17

Supported a club like Leicester already required a commitment and realisation that sometimes it will be shit.

I’d already given up on the idea of us winning the league when l was about 8 or 9, given the 115 odd years that had preceded me supporting the club. 

It’s probably easy to drop football when you’ve “picked” a team to support but I was born and raised in Leicester. 

I’m more concerned about giving up on football generally. VAR last season played a huge part in me losing interest, along with the restart with no crowds. Since then, I think I’ve only watched us and the Champions League final for the full 90 minutes. Like many, my interest has declined in England. I’ll watch a big game or if there’s a chance of a Leicester player featuring, 

As I've got older I'm finding that being described as a 'football fan' isn't right. Far too generic. However, I can accurately be described as a 'Leicester City fan'. A subtle difference. In truth, I'm not really bothered about the 'game' or what's good for it. I'm only bothered about my club that happens to play football. Probably selfish but I don't think I'm alone. The way things are currently going is pushing us down a dark path and I'm bloody furious what these businesses are doing to our way of life. 

• Like 1

For me it's a family thing. Started going with my Dad in the very early 90s. He then got a job working Saturdays so went with my Uncle until he died in '93. Then back to going with my Mum, Dad & Sister.

Mates have had season tickets with us over the years but have all dropped off due to family/jobs/relegation etc.

Now it's me,my Mum, sister, son and 3 nephews. Saturdays are one big family day when City play. Some would hate that but that's the way it has always been and I miss it massively at the moment.

My Dad was a City fan who used to go to Filbert Street with his friends.  He was also a useful footballer and had a trial for City in the 1940s.  So I was raised with City in my blood.  We used to visit my Nan in Jarrom Street and even as a small child I can remember hearing the roar from Filbert Street when we scored.  Whenever City were playing the radio was always on and we all kept up to date with the scores (we didn't have a TV until 1963).

I started going with my mates when I was old enough and loved it.  All too soon I moved away from Leicester but tried to get to away matches wherever I was living.  Even when I went on contract to South America I got hold of a short wave radio and rigged an aerial up into a nearby tree so I could get City's matches and scores on BBC World Service.

This isn't an interest that can come or go, this is part of me and I will be City until I die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

As I've got older I'm finding that being described as a 'football fan' isn't right. Far too generic. However, I can accurately be described as a 'Leicester City fan'. A subtle difference. In truth, I'm not really bothered about the 'game' or what's good for it. I'm only bothered about my club that happens to play football. Probably selfish but I don't think I'm alone. The way things are currently going is pushing us down a dark path and I'm bloody furious what these businesses are doing to our way of life. 

Had a discussion with a similar topic with a lad at work when football 1st returned after the lockdown and the German league was up and going.

I'm not really a football fan, I'm a fan of Leicester city. It's actually very rare I choose to watch a game of football unless it has something to do with Leicester City. I don't just watch it for the sake of it, I find little enjoyment from watching a game that isn't one of the big occasions, the champions league final for example. I can't just watch a game of football between Bayern and Leverkusen. On the odd occasion I'll watch a Premier league game, but when I do, it's on in the back ground. Unless the outcome has a direct affect on us, I don't invest in it. 

To describe me as a football fan would be incorrect, to label me as a die hard Leicester fan is accurate.

• Like 1

I've told this story before, so I will try to keep it brief.

I grew up as an American Southerner.  No one knew anything about soccer.

I paid fleeting attention to the World Cups from 1986 on, but I definitely didn't understand the game.

America got regular TV coverage of the Premier League in 1998.  I saw that Leicester City had an American goalie, so they became my team.

So obviously I didn't grow up a Leicester supporter, but I now support them (from a distance) the best I can.  I wear an LCFC shirt occasionally, and it is infrequently recognized.

To paraphrase a Colorado saying -- I wasn't born a Leicester supporter, but I got here as fast as I could!

P.S.  For TV coverage of the EPL, I get the NBC Sports Network (via Comcast) and the Peacock streaming service (also via Comcast), so I can watch almost any EPL match.  My sympathies to you Brits on the TV coverage situation, sounds complicated and expensive.

P.P.S.  I would love to visit Leicester and see a match at King Power some day.  Seems like a pipe dream nowadays.

• Like 2