Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Why City?? What keeps you interested??

We all have our own reasons for supporting City but what keeps you going?? Do you have an ultimate realistic dream or have we already achieved it?? These are testing times and football is going to need time to recover. 

I can't give it up as its been with me forever and what makes me. Its part of my identity. I've lived the majority of my life away from our fair city but come from long line of Leicestrians. I was taken as a kid to Filbert St and that was me for life. 

Being Premier League Champions and the way we did it will never be bettered. The dream happened (thank you Vichai) so what's left?? Would winning the FA Cup be enough?? I think, for me, that would probably feel that football has been completed. Winning a Euro trophy comes a close second. 

I think ultimately that I just want to see the club continue to be competitive (not in a Stoke plodding sort of way) but with a bit of flare and swagger. The infrastructure projects are sensational and in particular the stadium makeover will give us more of an identity. 

I want the football World to know about us and give due respect as a well run club that does it the right way. Not too much to ask, is it?? 

What about you?? 

• Like 2

Football goes on. Just because we've won the top flight doesn't mean I'm less interested or don't dream of winning it again. When we're playing and I'm going I still get excited as I did when I was younger.

I'd love to win the FA Cup, along with (probably) all the fan base.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

My Grandad,Dad and me all went to Filbert St.Now i'm passing it on to the next gen,three son's and a grandaughter......Its in the blood!:)

But what motivates you and the kids to keep going?? Got to be something more than just habit or duty. Where are we trying to get to or know when we've arrived?? 

I've heard so much since the pandemic started and before of disillusionment (VAR, soulless Covid football, greedy PL clubs exploiting the situation, PPV etc). Something is keeping us going (just) but what's the end game?? Or are we on some sort of X Factor journey?? 

:dunno:

Started getting into football when I went to school in Ashby. The majority of people supported City, so I picked it up. My uncle took me to a Boxing Day game at Filbert Street in 96 or 97. I still get that same buzz at 32 going week in week out with Dad, that I got as an 8 or 9 year old walking into the stadium, seeing the pitch, going to my seat. The season after the title win, even if we lost I wasn’t that fussed because we’d basically achieved the impossible. After Christmas when it was starting to look dire, that soon changed. Having started to go to the majority of the aways from 2017, I found a new enjoyment of traveling up and down the country, feeling even more part of it. Getting up at stupid o’clock New Year’s Day to get a bus to Newcastle, drenched on a Friday night in Southampton but not giving a toss because you’ve witnessed history! This club hasn’t just been my passion, it’s got me out more traveling to new places, chatting to more people, something that I think we all miss at the moment. Why Leicester - simple, it’s always been Leicester 🦊

• Like 1

It’s a weird one where it’s definitely lost something since we won the league in that we all know we’ve hit the pinnacle. Take, for example, the last minute defeat in the semi-final at Villa Park - years ago that would have been devastating but, whilst I was disappointed and annoyed, it was very much an “oh well” because it wasn’t as big as the things we’d been involved with in the years before.

In terms of ambitions, I’d like to see us win the FA Cup and have more consistent European tours than we have in our history. It’s all just cherry on the cake stuff now though - it’s never getting any better than 2015/16.

To do those things we need to be ambitious in our thinking and capitalise on the opportunity to forge a name for ourselves as a top 6-8 premier league club where we don’t have to worry about relegation ever and we’re miles ahead of our nearest rivals geographically. I do, however, doubt that the mindset is there amongst our fan base to want to push the club on to such things (too many “just happy to be here because of the history” types).

What keeps me going is probably the addiction if we’re being honest. The day out, the release of standing on a terrace shouting for 90 minutes, the extremes of emotions, the time with friends and family. It’s probably the biggest thing I’ve missed during Covid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

But what motivates you and the kids to keep going?? Got to be something more than just habit or duty. Where are we trying to get to or know when we've arrived?? 

I've heard so much since the pandemic started and before of disillusionment (VAR, soulless Covid football, greedy PL clubs exploiting the situation, PPV etc). Something is keeping us going (just) but what's the end game?? Or are we on some sort of X Factor journey?? 

:dunno:

Not thinking that deep......get's us out of the house and away from the Mrs or mother in law every other saturday;)I agree VAR had taken a bit of the fun out of the game for me and to answer your question i don't think there is an end game,it's just one team being better or worse than the others every season.

The enjoyment of meeting mates at pub before the game, nowadays with kids in tow,  still get the buzz walking towards the ground, up the steps to my seat, speaking to people I only speak to 19 times a year plus cup games! And with Leicester not knowing what to expect.

I don’t watch that many live games in the telly , a friend reckons those who attend live games have probably found this whole period a lot harder than what you’d call armchair fans and I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Nowadays I just want us to maintain our status and not rest on our laurels and end up being like West Brom or Stoke just accepting safety. Then again having seen 7 relegations and 7 promotions I don’t expect the remainder of my days to be top ten top flight football and European football, but that’s the thing as a Leicester fan who knows. Think back to that day at Stoke in May 2008 and what’s happened since!

• Like 1

I'm no more fond of the state of the game as it is than anyone else, but it's in the blood for most of us isn't it?

It's about the highs and lows, the hope of future success and the emotions. Very little in life beats the feeling you get from the biggest and best goals.

Although I grew up in more of a rugby/tennis household, (in Sileby), given what my Mum and Dad supported/played, LCFC has always been there in the background, but slowly took over as the team improved and got more interesting.  Plus the thought of Leicester overtaking Leeds while I was living up there meant it started to replace the Tigers in my mind (and moving away from my Dad probably helped too.)

Since I've started 'truly' supporting LCFC it's been really successful, so why would anyone want me to stop now :D

Edited by PhillippaT

Nothing will match the magic of 15/16. But aside from wanting us to win, I enjoy watching the club’s academy prospects struggle, develop and prosper. I’m happy with the club developing youngster too. I’d prefer that than watch us splash the cash and buy some existing big names.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I remember being a regular during the Pleat era. Mid table, 2nd division mediocrity with a half empty stadium. Believe me you don't know how lucky we are at the moment. If I was going to lose interest it would've been then not now. 

Plenty of us younger ones have been through the shit as well, it was only just over a decade ago we were in disarray with plenty of empty seats and appalling football. Although the success now has come at a price- higher ticket prices, worse kick-off times etc.

I'm not surprised people are starting to lose interest, the title win will never be topped and maybe some considered it to be the pinnacle, the end of the journey if you like, and are now not quite as motivated. 

In all the years supporting City, I never expected us to win the league, the dream was always the FA Cup as that seemed more attainable. It still eludes us, and I would still love to see us win it. Somehow the league win is almost like a bonus I suppose, because I never would have believed we could do it, whereas I've always thought the cup is achievable. It's just such a big part of my life I can't really answer what keeps me interested, it's just part of me I guess.

• Like 1

The local club to where I was born was West Ham but my mother was Leicester born and bred and my father was born in Nottingham and grew up in Derby.  Just before my third birthday the family moved back to the East Midlands (Loughborough) so City became my local team by the time I knew what football was, so that's who I support.

Thank f**k we moved!

I have no realistic ambitions for the club.  How can I when we've already achieved the most unrealistic and unimaginable one?

• Like 1

Until I was 10ish I supported Barcelona. They were the first club I went watch, first kit etc

It was always odd, as my family were Liverpool fans, except my dad that supported Leicester. 

Unfortunately living in England, I didn’t get to watch Barcelona live much, but my parents and I would go and watch Leicester reserves mid week. So my interest grew from there .......

Nearly 30 years later, we’ve seen a lot of lows but some great highs. Work and young family have limited my season ticket “seasonal do about 5 in that 30, however I’m a Leicester fan and always will be! 

• Like 1