Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Why City?? What keeps you interested??

I think it's like being a parent. You go through good times, difficult times. Often you disagree with what they're doing or plan to do. Sometimes they really p!as you off and sometimes they make you really proud.

Whatever happens, they're still your kids. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

But what motivates you and the kids to keep going?? Got to be something more than just habit or duty. Where are we trying to get to or know when we've arrived?? 

I've heard so much since the pandemic started and before of disillusionment (VAR, soulless Covid football, greedy PL clubs exploiting the situation, PPV etc). Something is keeping us going (just) but what's the end game?? Or are we on some sort of X Factor journey?? 

:dunno:

...the advent of followers of football teams leads to a certain amount of tribalism!!!

It is inherent in our make up and not something that can be overcome. Supporting the club has no monetary value, although that does tend to go only one way, so it is not a way of gaining wealth but somehow an avenue to gaining a type of prestige.

Being top dogs within a area carries an amount of pride, it is who we are!!

My son and I were just talking about this in the car. Nothing beats the experience of live football at its best, the crowd, the noise, the intensity, the buzz of being part of something collective. And when it’s for something special like the Champions League games, it moves to another level and the feeling and atmosphere is absolutely unforgettable. 

I went to my first game over thirty years ago and have been taking my now 17 year old son since he was four. He feels exactly the same about it as I do and we are both missing it like crazy! I cannot imagine life without football and my allegiance has never and will never change, regardless of how well or badly the team are doing. Agree with the poster above - it’s a bit like a parent/child relationship - sometimes I’m proud, sometimes I’m exasperated, sometimes I’m really annoyed but the love is always there! 

Edited by Illusion35
  • Like 2

Guest bss9401

I was born and bred in Leicester. I have lived away from the county since 1996 but nothing could ever change my allegiance. I travelled by air and then train to attend the 2000 League Cup final. When I cheered for the goals at St James's Park on New year's day I felt the same ecstacy as that I had at home to Burnley as a kid in 1978. I well up with pride when I relive the highs and then the gut punch when I relive the lows. 

I believe that choice did not come into it. I was destined to be a Leicester City fan and I believe that anyone with a similar back story and for whatever team they support feels the same.

I’ve mentioned this before, but to be direct, I’m a supporter because my last name is King.  Beginning at Xmas 2014, I had time to start following the PL.  One club wore “King Power” shirts, and even had a guy named King.  That they started kicking ass didn’t hurt.  #10 contributed a clutch goal or two.

It looked grim when they had to fire Pearson.  But the new shirt had King Power in block letters, so I bought a his and hers for grins.  As soon as they got 6 points v Sunderland and West Ham, it was more than grins.  Obsession beckoned.

Still interested beyond the “miracle”, because it’s just a good fit.  The club (like Kingy) is absolutely stand-up by the standards of this business.  Where else would I go?  One of the Big Money Six with their sickening machinations?  It’s more tattoo than body paint anyway.  The colors are in you, not on you.

I'd hate to be an Everton fan (bar the first 4 games of this season). Its never been boring with us in the last decade and we have been the ultimate soap opera club with great highs and lows. I think what keeps me hooked at the moment is just to see how far we can go as a club. Can we become an elite club in England and then hopefully Europe. Even if we were still in the second division there would be something to strive for so there is always a hook. 

Honestly after winning the league and doing the CL games away from home especially. 

My boy.

I don't think I will ever get the buzz that 15/16 16/17 gave me. Until we finally win the FA cup. Missing out on EL this year has done me. 2 of those games at least were easily doable. 

If it wasn't for my lad now wanting to go every week I would be on the verge of calling it a day. I love meeting up with my mates, the beers and chat with them pre and post game. The awaydays, but realistically the football on the pitch is probably now not the driving factor.

And as this topic has cropped up at a time when we are reading about the so called top 6 and a few others wanting to make changes that stops the likes of wolves and ourselves upsetting the apple cart. I wish they would **** off to there European Super League and see how long it is before people get bored of seeing the same games year in year out. Not those in the states, middle and far East who I'm sure will keep forking out for TV rights. But the man in the street in Liverpool or Madrid. Milan etc. 

The game is constantly changing and hardly ever for the best.

I'm taking my cash to quorn or melton Town next week and taking my lad to see what grass roots football has to offer.

I don't think that anyone 'chooses' to support a club it is governed by geography and handed down to you through family.  I was taken to Filbert Street as a five year old on a cold midwinter night to see us lose 1-0 to West Brom and that was that.  Leicester was my team and I couldn't change it if I wanted to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spudulike said:

We all have our own reasons for supporting City but what keeps you going?? 

8 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I can't give it up as its been with me forever and what makes me. Its part of my identity. I've lived the majority of my life away from our fair city but come from long line of Leicestrians. I was taken as a kid to Filbert St and that was me for life. 

This

Quite a sick minded obsession really isn’t it? Can’t really control 99% of what goes on unless you stormed a pitch and did something illegal. Influences emotions weekly in some feral hormone inducing rollercoaster that leaves us coming back every single time like a hard drug addict. Stripped back it’s watching a load of millionaires kicking around leather, causing grown men and women to behave in ways unrecognisable to their weekly 9-5.

My wife doesn’t get it at all and it must seem strange to people given I’ve never lived in Leicester either.

But my family, friends and I have it in common and there’s nothing more stimulating than a Leicester away end to me. Thousands of people coming together from every walk of life every week with many different stories behind their ‘why’. 

This board is weird as hell and most of you I would probably never talk to in real life, but for our love for this underdog plucky football team. How wonderfully romantic is that? I wouldn’t change it for the world.

• Like 1

My City.. unfashionable.. unremarkable. Nondescript accent and characteristics...it sums me.up personally and I love it. The club is me. 

The buzz I get off an ordinary mid table, mid season away win on a Saturday afternoon at a palace, a West ham, a Newcastle is an extraordinary high. An absolute drug. The obscenist of drugs.

• Like 1

My mum and dad were STH as were my aunt and uncle, my whole family either supports the City or has no interest in football. It’s in my blood I was too young to remember my first game down there. 

After 2015/16 why do I keep going......... I want to see us win the F A Cup to get the set.....I still like little old Leicester upsetting the big boys (Really grates how we screwed up CL qualification).... it’s a social thing.

This PPV thing and the ‘Big 6’ coming up with their latest ‘plan’ has currently dampened my enthusiasm for it all a little. 

My dad, a follower but not a regular matchgoer eventually gave in to my pleading, aged eight, to take me”down the city”. It was 1968 and we were playing Man Utd with charlton, law, best et al. We won 2-1. I saw myself on match of the day, hanging onto the fence in the east stand near the filbert street end waving my scarf. 

Spent most of my teenage years standing in the kop  (pretty scary at times but the older fans always looked out for me and made sure I never came to any harm). Twenties spent in the carling stand with my new missus. Unfortunately family and work has meant that I have only managed a few games at the KP (and one of them was work related) but the foxes are my home town club and cemented into my very being.

through thick and thin, for better or worse, it’s a bit like a marriage. To make your choice, take your vows and they are your club. I have never been prouder to be a Fox than now, with the title win and a set up and owners the envy of the footballing world we bask in the reflected glory, but being true foxes know that it could all go the other way in an instant yet we would still call them our club.

one thing I ask, is that before I depart this mortal coil we can finally win the FA cup and then the journey will be truly complete.

Edited by urban fox
  • Like 1

I am from Leicester, so I support Leicester. Regardless of whether the team is composed of DJ Campbell, Fatty Fry-Up and Oakley or Vardy, Mahrez and Kante, it will always be my team. As to where the club goes, I couldn’t care less but I will enjoy the ride, whether that is in the dizzying heights of the Champion’s League or back in the EFL.

Truth be told, I am not a fan of people who chop and change clubs they support like brands of toothpaste.

You can change your name, your missus and your gender, but you should never change your club.

Edited by ScrumpyJack
  • Like 1

Leicester born & bred...

Became a proud Part of the Midlands & England Sporting fraternity..I always hugged & stayed to my Leicester roots,supported all individuals and teams

that competed for and within the shire,  successfull or not..!!

Meeting with other Sports men & Women Profi or amateure, at events, Meetings charity-events,or casually...encouraging each other,or even bantering around...

Even though my own dreams & aspirations were shattered with two separate sport incidents but similar complications.I

I always believed Leicester Local or brought in talent,were humble ,Not arrogant or braggarts, humerous, definitely encouraging,no matter what the sport..

Took up Adventure travelling , hiking & trekking. using my learnt skills from School & outwardbound events & expanding them.I knew then I didnt want  to work in the same Four walls,all my life. Plus right or wrong I wanted to try  other careers but also wanted to help ,instruct , and expand the Work skills I was fortunate to learn,past,present &  the then unknown possible future.

No matter what far Corner  & where I found myself, Leicester-sports with all its & my own failures and hights , kept close to my heart, and stayed my home within....Foxes & Tigers badges loyal & conversation making companions..

Heartaches,Joys & pains,arguments, Plus pride...I am just an innocent, naive Leicester boy,whos gone cranky and apparently moved into that vulnerable circle...

3 Fs.. Fearless, flexable, Foxes...

Add the Tigers family, Coritainians, 3 foxes ccc, Lions-speedway, South Leicester RFC, Syston RFC,

Forest-lodge to New Parks Secondary school...& top colleges.

The best woven blazer & Emblem Badges in the world...

Then some Top pub landlords Now haunting their old premises...

These are the memories ,though an ex-egg-chaser,that Keep my heart close to the Leicester city footballing story..

I wont die or be buried in my Town that I loved so well......but it will be interesting where my thoughts & memories lay,when taking my last  breaths...wunnit !

Think it helps that we only have one major team in the City as well. Unlike Manchester, London, Birmingham etc where there are local rivalries.

The whole of Leicester unites be it football, cricket, rugby, basketball, even for Mark Selby. Not sure you'd find scenes of celebrating our title win anywhere else :scarf: