Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
z-layrex

PC Gaming

On 23/01/2021 at 13:01, BroughtonFox said:

Really want to get into pc gaming, bust just don’t know anything about what the best parts are, how to set it up or where’s best to buy from lol  

can you have a good set up with about 1k ish?

Going to push forward with this now as my Laptop has stopped working after a spillage on it :facepalm:

is there any good ones you can buy already made up?

1 hour ago, BroughtonFox said:

Going to push forward with this now as my Laptop has stopped working after a spillage on it :facepalm:

is there any good ones you can buy already made up?

This is where I picked mine up from

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/category/next-day-pcs/

Quite a lot sold out but they do still have some systems available, worth just doing a bit of research into the components of the build to check it is up to what you want it to do

45 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

This is where I picked mine up from

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/category/next-day-pcs/

Quite a lot sold out but they do still have some systems available, worth just doing a bit of research into the components of the build to check it is up to what you want it to do

How much did you pay for yours if don’t mind me asking? Does it run every game perfectly?

22 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

How much did you pay for yours if don’t mind me asking? Does it run every game perfectly?

I got mine for £1089 I think it was (was meant to be £1289 but I got it when it was on a sale)

I have had no issues running games like GTA 5, Battlefront 2 and DOOM Eternal on high settings

Edited by moore_94

19 hours ago, Beechey said:

Managed to snag myself an RTX 3080 yesterday. Now to wait for the LG 27GN950-B to come back into stock...

Christ, the card is absolutely massive.

They've got some fantastic heft to them.  You know GPUs are getting big when some come with anti-sag brackets.

Looking for a pretty standard build atm for both uni work and gaming but getting my hands on a GPU of any quality at a normal price is proving impossible. Ideally wanted a 3060 but seeming impossible, for now would settle for a 2060 or even 1660 super at a fair price. Any tips on getting hold of any stock at all?

2 hours ago, JR99 said:

Looking for a pretty standard build atm for both uni work and gaming but getting my hands on a GPU of any quality at a normal price is proving impossible. Ideally wanted a 3060 but seeming impossible, for now would settle for a 2060 or even 1660 super at a fair price. Any tips on getting hold of any stock at all?

Follow stock Twitter accounts or Discords.  I use https://discord.gg/e9phCKgBkA Discord for getting stock which is set up well to filter stuff you actually want.

• Thanks 1

On 03/02/2021 at 09:14, Zear0 said:

They've got some fantastic heft to them.  You know GPUs are getting big when some come with anti-sag brackets.

MY MSI 3080 does, I couldn't believe my eyes when I compared it to my old 1080 which itself wasn't a small GPU. 34cm / 1,5 Kg.

While the performance gain is massive, the thing needs a nuclear plant . I'm drawing 350W at full performance, double of the 1080's.

6 hours ago, JR99 said:

I think it's really not the moment to get new GPU unless you're ready to overpay or you're really, really lucky and literally constantly monitor the online retailers. Set your retailers of choice to notify you as soon as cards are avalaible and jump on your phone or computer because the cards are sold out within 30 minutes tops.

Or buy a pre-build for which you'll also overpay. New cards are a generation leap in terms of performance, crypto-mining became a thing again, the pandemic is forcing everyone to stay home and Nvidia / AMD can't satisfy an exploding demand.

I've seen RTX 3090s going for almost 3,000 euros in Germany. The 3080 and 3060 / ti disappear instantly. Even the 2000 series and the 1660 prices are going up since Nvidia stopped to product them and the new ones are impossible to find.

The prices won't go down before 3-6 months and I'd suggest you to wait.

Edited by That_Dude

9 hours ago, JR99 said:

Sign up to part alert on Twitter and discord, it's how I got my 3070 for a good price.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some interesting reviews on the 3080ti released today.  Some people looking at it just as a product saying it's decent, others taking consideration of the 70% price hike over the 3080 for barely 30% improvement not so positive.  Gamers Nexus summarised it quite nicely; in any other market this card is DOA, but given the scarcity it will naturally sell out for the next year.

They've upped the price on the TI's because they know they can so why not take easy profit?  To me this is short sighted though. More and more pc gamers are looking at the consoles this generation...especially when the xbox is beginning to share more and more games with the PC already. You can literally buy a console for less then the price of a half decent graphics card. Mental right now. PC gaming is going to go through a bit of a dark age whilst this graphic cards price thing continues to stay mental and more people switch to consoles. 

17 minutes ago, Christoph said:

They've upped the price on the TI's because they know they can so why not take easy profit?  To me this is short sighted though. More and more pc gamers are looking at the consoles this generation...especially when the xbox is beginning to share more and more games with the PC already. You can literally buy a console for less then the price of a half decent graphics card. Mental right now. PC gaming is going to go through a bit of a dark age whilst this graphic cards price thing continues to stay mental and more people switch to consoles. 

Agreed with the short sighted part and I think this is the source of frustration that has been articulated better than I can by PC hardware Youtubers etc.  PC Gaming has been in the best place it has been since maybe the 90s.  Xbox game pass on PC is fantastic and even Sony are starting to put games on the system too which was pretty much unthinkable a few years ago (Horizon, Death Stranding and Days Gone already and slides showing Uncharted on the way).  With consoles getting stupidly priced and loads of people interested in casual streaming and content creation, I've never known a time where more friends/family are wanting PCs.

The 3080 and 3060 MSRP are £649 and £299 which was fantastic.  Due to global parts shortage and huge demand, it's a consequence of economic world we live in that short supply + high demand = high price.  But noting the MSRP price for the cards, if people less familiar with gaming see an MSRP for a graphics card at £1k+, they'll, rightly, say **** that and just lose interest.  As you said, short term/long term gain is the key and they're really hammering the long term prospects for the PC market.  I wouldn't mind so much nVidia cashing in on the market if they made some effort to circumvent the scalpers.  They need to make at least some public effort to get these products in the systems of people else long term this is damaging.  Going from £649 MSRP for a 3080 to £1k+ for a Ti is frankly a **** take even in a normal market.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Just installing the Diablo 2 remaster beta.  6pm release and really looking forward to revisiting this, Diablo 2 was one of my all time favourite games.

Game looks god damn stunning. Controls are a bit ummmmm though. And servers are standard blizzard style, up and down all day. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...