Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
truefox

The Old Main Stand >> Filbert Street

Guest StevieLynex

Had a tour of Filbert Street in the mid seventies as part of a school trip. Just remember the baths that must have been under the main stand.

Whilst we are here, for old time's sake, 'Main Stand give us a song, Main Stand, Main Stand give us a song'

3 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

What wonderful photos, spent so many happy hours watching from those terraces

Same here - a young teen looking across enviously at the Kop and wishing I had the balls to graduate into pen 3.

39 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Had a tour of Filbert Street in the mid seventies as part of a school trip. Just remember the baths that must have been under the main stand.

Whilst we are here, for old time's sake, 'Main Stand give us a song, Main Stand, Main Stand give us a song'

EAST STAND, START THE WAVE...

• Like 1

I was a ball boy for several seasons at Filbo circa 1980 for the reserves (great times) & a mascot vs WBA in the League Cup 1981. I remember the gym & there was a corridor that ran on the car park side of it. This had a number of different spaces off it including a kit storage room ( George Dewis ran this) & the kit washing room plus (I think) a kit drying room too. I remember sitting in George’s kit room pre match, at half time & post match warming up on cold days. The smell of deep heat prevailed throughout, happy times! 

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, Gordon the Great said:

Big City fan or so it was rumoured.

I think people believed that Gary Newbon was a Leicester fan, but he supported Wolves

Guest StevieLynex
2 minutes ago, truefox said:

Double Decker!!

The Double Decker as a child felt so steep and dangerous, lie you could fall over the edge!

Agree with that. Only time I ever ventured up their again was when the school got free tickets for a game and we had to sit in the corner towards the centre stand 

Guest StevieLynex
2 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Not sure about that?   He always said he was a City fan when interviewed.

Met him at the Saffron Lane sports stadium in the seventies when he was doing some work for ATV re cycling, got his autograph and asked who he supported - Wolves

The Best Atmosphere at a Filbert Street Match was the Tony James Great Escape against Oxford United!!

The great thing that the club decided to do to ramp the home advantage was to put home fans in the entire Kop!! Pen 1 .2.3 and 4!

And Even the half of the east stand usually reserved for seated away fans was given to Leicester fans!!

For the only match in Filbert Street history the Oxford Away fans (300 of them) were forced to sit in the far left of the upper DoubleDecker!!

At the final whistle there was mutual applause between both sets of fans as we invaded the pitch!

Sadly all of these great memories were before digital cameras or mobile phones, so these are just great memories in our heads!!!!!

• Like 2

Guest StevieLynex
2 minutes ago, truefox said:

The Best Atmosphere at a Filbert Street Match was the Tony James Great Escape against Oxford United!!

The great thing that the club decided to do to ramp the home advantage was to put home fans in the entire Kop!! Pen 1 .2.3 and 4!

And Even the half of the east stand usually reserved for seated away fans was given to Leicester fans!!

For the only match in Filbert Street history the Oxford Away fans (300 of them) were forced to sit in the far left of the upper DoubleDecker!!

At the final whistle there was mutual applause between both sets of fans as we invaded the pitch!

Sadly all of these great memories were before digital cameras or mobile phones, so these are just great memories in our heads!!!!!

Did you ask them whether they came in a taxi?

Guest StevieLynex
5 minutes ago, truefox said:

Shrewsbury 1982 FA Cup Quarter Final and Burnley 1983-1984 were equally as good

I can remember going to a game in 1979 when City played Blackburn in the 2nd Division. I always went with my dad but he had to be elsewhere that day so he left me in the custody of a friend of his called Joe Musgrove who was a real old-timer of local football and did the radio commentaries for Leicester hospitals from the little cubicle over the Main Stand enclosure. I was 12 years old at the time and after the game Joe took me backstage into the bowels of the Main Stand and into the Directors Lounge. I can still remember seeing Ron Atkinson, Jim Smith and Gary Newbon talking to each other. I think at the time Ron was WBA manager, the Bald Eagle was Birmingham manager and Gary Newbon was the Star Soccer presenter. The reason they were all there was because it was the winter of 78/79, the Winter of Discontent and the whole country was snowbound. But matches still went ahead at Filbert Street because of the balloon over the pitch and the game was being televised as all the others were postponed.

I asked Ron and Jim Smith to autograph my programme and Gary Newbon was waiting for me to hand him the pen so he could sign it too, but I didn't want his autograph so I didn't hand him the pen. He seemed a bit miffed. I remember it to this day and I hope he does too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, truefox said:

I was at that game and I thought we were doomed to the 3rd Division. We had to rely on WBA not winning to stay up and they only drew against Bristol Rovers. Going into the game bothe LCFC and WBA were facing the drop into the 3rd tier for the first time in their history. That day it was WBA's turn. Ours came 17 years later at Stoke. But after the game with thousands of fans on the pitch the players emerged in the Directors' box in the Main Stand to salute the supporters as if we'd just won the league rather than finishing in our lowest ever league position.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the little steel footbridge that linked the main stand and the double decker? It was usually blocked off but I recall there being a skirmish between City and Arsenal fans in the double decker with people using the footbridge as either an escape route or a means to join in. Around 1983 iirc.

• Like 1