Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
truefox

The Old Main Stand >> Filbert Street

Guest StevieLynex
50 minutes ago, truefox said:

The Boardroom was wood paneled and also doubled up as the Trophy Room, with penants from International friendlys etc

Must have been tiny then

Guest StevieLynex
24 minutes ago, truefox said:

Does anyone have a contact email address for John Hutchinson?  Just after hidden photos from inside the original Filbert Street

Didn't know that he previously worked as a teacher:

Teacher of History, Linwood School, Leicester.1971-73
Head of Humanities, Soar Valley College, Leicester.1973-1981
Deputy Head Teacher, Martin High School Anstey, 1981-2003.
Joint Head Teacher, Martin High School Anstey, 2003-2005

Guest StevieLynex
1 minute ago, worth_the_wait said:

The pigeon is there, in case we're playing Forest ... so he can  s h i t  on the bastards below!

Thought it was the duty of a crow to undertake such a task?

On 14/02/2021 at 15:02, truefox said:

Was just wondering what the inside layout was of the old Filbert Street Main Stand?

I can remember next to the changing rooms was the Board Room which also held all of the Trophys etc.

The far Corner of the Main Stand where it joined the double decker had a very large unoccupied space!

I remember walking around the ground one summer and in this area the players had actually parked their cars whilst preparing to get on the bus for an away friendly!

Apparently there was a gymnasium but I have never seen pictures of this!

I also remember when I had a season ticket, in the centre of the main stand was a players bar!!   You could walk past and look in but security would wave you on!

If anyone else has any photos or memories of anything else tucked inside the stand please share for nostalga purposes!!

Thankyou!!!

leicester-city-filbert-street-main-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

scan0001.jpg

015leicestercityfilbertstreetb.jpg

148424208_723282221692709_8135905236037381123_n.jpg

The first picture, which is obviously the furthest back in time, brings back fond memories. My uncle worked in the refreshment bar, pictured in the bit were it says Millington, he took me down with him every match & I perched on the ledge whilst the match was on, then dived in the back at half-time to avoid the rush. They only severed until half- time, then he would cash up, hand the money in & then we would run up the stairs usually to the top of the main stand & find an empty seat each to watch the rest of the match.( plenty of empty seats in them days) .I first went in 1972 aged 7, I did that for a few years until I got a bit too big to perch on the ledge.

In the junction / corner section of the main stand and double decker there was a workshop whilst at the opposite end of the main stand as you came in to the standing area at the front of the stand was the groundsmans (Steve & Steve I seem to remember) shed, no expense spent, sorry, spared! There were a lot of hidden cubby holes and storage areas behind panels that you'd walk past regularly without knowing.

Also around the corner of the Double Decker and East Stand was a yard / area where they had old advertising boards stashed, probably as repair materials or for repainting, some of those would do well on bargain hunt  nowadays!

Love the missing pixels all over the scoreboard in that picture from the Spurs match though I still dispute it was a fluke that the "O" disappeared when we played Derby C"O"unty that time!

• Haha 1

On 14/02/2021 at 15:20, Wymsey said:

Did anyone take anything from the old ground, as a souvenir, at the last game played at Filbert Street?

I didn't nick it because it was massive, but I bought one of the old stadium maps from the ground at the official auction thingy.  My Dad bought the other one.  I have no idea where mine is (I think in my sister's shed since I moved up north)

• Like 1

I started in the family enclosure at the front of the main stand terrace. Just great days, the players were genuinely in touching distance. The view of the wingers and full backs on the near side in each half was inspiring. Tommy Wright flying past was a treat. Seem to remember Ali Mauchlan smashing into tackles and hearing a crunch!

Anyone remember when at a night match in the rain when walkers were giving out poppadoms crisps? They must have had so many or not many takers we all had a box each on used the boxes as hats to keep dry, watching the game through the hole in the front.

Favourite memory on that terrace: Oxford last game, Derby night game (think we won 3-2) Cambridge play off.

• Like 1

Just now, Double Decker said:

I started in the family enclosure at the front of the main stand terrace. Just great days, the players were genuinely in touching distance. The view of the wingers and full backs on the near side in each half was inspiring. Tommy Wright flying past was a treat. Seem to remember Ali Mauchlan smashing into tackles and hearing a crunch!

Anyone remember when at a night match in the rain when walkers were giving out poppadoms crisps? They must have had so many or not many takers we all had a box each on used the boxes as hats to keep dry, watching the game through the hole in the front.

Favourite memory on that terrace: Oxford last game, Derby night game (think we won 3-2) Cambridge play off.

Forgot to add. Jack Curtis was a legend in my eyes. Such a nice bloke. We were young lads and always had time for us. Got us playing for Leicester Foxes at belvoir drive.

On 14/02/2021 at 10:02, truefox said:

Was just wondering what the inside layout was of the old Filbert Street Main Stand?

I can remember next to the changing rooms was the Board Room which also held all of the Trophys etc.

The far Corner of the Main Stand where it joined the double decker had a very large unoccupied space!

I remember walking around the ground one summer and in this area the players had actually parked their cars whilst preparing to get on the bus for an away friendly!

Apparently there was a gymnasium but I have never seen pictures of this!

I also remember when I had a season ticket, in the centre of the main stand was a players bar!!   You could walk past and look in but security would wave you on!

If anyone else has any photos or memories of anything else tucked inside the stand please share for nostalga purposes!!

Thankyou!!!

leicester-city-filbert-street-main-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

scan0001.jpg

015leicestercityfilbertstreetb.jpg

148424208_723282221692709_8135905236037381123_n.jpg

:cry:

When we left Filbert street, a little piece of football died for me.

obviously I have been to many games at the King power and if you cut my arm open you’ll see blue blood but

Its just not the same anymore! Waaaa! 

On 14/02/2021 at 10:39, dayday said:

I would of loved a version of the old double decker in the KP, shame we didn’t do it.

“ A message to the kids in the double decker stand, please stop throwing sweets at the away fans beneath you”

That got the biggest cheer of the day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saxondale said:

The more you think about it, the more ludicrous it is how short-lived the Carling Stand was!

I was too young to be there at the time of the construction but was the building of the Carling Stand done with the expectation (or hope) of expanding the ground on the North and East sides?

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I was too young to be there at the time of the construction but was the building of the Carling Stand done with the expectation (or hope) of expanding the ground on the North and East sides?

I think so yes... They never could get those home owners on the east side to all sell up.

On 15/02/2021 at 08:16, Paninistickers said:

He explained in an interview once that he was born and bred in cambridge (I think) and a family member used to take him to the occasional city.match as a kid. 

People assumed from this he was a 'fan' ....whereas I think your explanation is more likely. He was an ATV / Central West man through and through. West Mids was his beat. 

On 15/02/2021 at 12:14, enmac said:

Think his grandad lived on Filbert St or Walnut St and took him to games.

Ever since I've known him (early-mid 90s) we always discussed Leicester and that being his team.

I was once DJing a wedding function early 90s over Solihull way - a friend of Gary's daughter I think got married - and Gary and his Mrs were dancing near the console when he spotted a Leicester pennant on my vinyl crate. Did a double take and then came over and talked about his love for LCFC.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Corky said:

We always hoped something like that would happen, but - deep down - we probably knew it never would. The Carling Stand was just a way of bringing the ground / club into the modern era on a smaller budget. There just wasn't that sort of money in football at the time. It was also around the time of clubs changing to all-seater grounds after Hillsborough and the Taylor Report.

To be fair, it was also a little bit before the era of clubs moving to all new grounds. You could possibly have done things like shift the pitch a little bit to the west, opening up some space on the eastern side (assuming you could get planning permission, which you probably couldn't), but that would probably ending up costing the same as or more than just building a new ground by the time you were finished.

18 hours ago, Corky said:

Not sure if it was part of the plan then but they did try to with a plan to rotate the pitch 90 degrees build a new stands on Burnmoor St  and Filbert St and extend the Double Decker but couldn't get planning as  it was deemed any stands worth building on would block out the light for the houses opposite.

17 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think so yes... They never could get those home owners on the east side to all sell up.

I heard there was one woman who just wouldn't sell.