Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
truefox

The Old Main Stand >> Filbert Street

Was just wondering what the inside layout was of the old Filbert Street Main Stand?

I can remember next to the changing rooms was the Board Room which also held all of the Trophys etc.

The far Corner of the Main Stand where it joined the double decker had a very large unoccupied space!

I remember walking around the ground one summer and in this area the players had actually parked their cars whilst preparing to get on the bus for an away friendly!

Apparently there was a gymnasium but I have never seen pictures of this!

I also remember when I had a season ticket, in the centre of the main stand was a players bar!!   You could walk past and look in but security would wave you on!

If anyone else has any photos or memories of anything else tucked inside the stand please share for nostalga purposes!!

Thankyou!!!

leicester-city-filbert-street-main-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

scan0001.jpg

015leicestercityfilbertstreetb.jpg

148424208_723282221692709_8135905236037381123_n.jpg

Edited by truefox
Add more photos
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, truefox said:

Was just wondering what the inside layout was of the old Filbert Street Main Stand?

I can remember next to the changing rooms was the Board Room which also held all of the Trophys etc.

The far Corner of the Main Stand where it joined the double decker had a very large unoccupied space!

I remember walking around the ground one summer and in this area the players had actually parked their cars whilst preparing to get on the bus for an away friendly!

I also remember when I had a season ticket, in the centre of the main stand was a players bar!!   You could walk past and look in but security would wave you on!

If anyone else has any photos or memories of anything else tucked inside the stand please share for nostalga purposes!!

Thankyou!!!

I think I got changed in the gym when I was mascot ....remember frank coming in and banging a ball against the wall pre game 

• Like 1

Always first thing after climbing the Kop stairs was a quick walk down to the front to see if the cameras were in the box on top of the Main Stand. Very rarely saw the City on telly so an appearance on MotD or Star Soccer was a treat. 

Remember a trip to Filbert Street with the Cubs (I was a sixer) and having a go with a medicine ball in the Gym. Also recall a tank with some sort of warm brown tar/wax liquid substance in the treatment room which we all stuck our hands in. No idea why or what it was for. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Always first thing after climbing the Kop stairs was a quick walk down to the front to see if the cameras were in the box on top of the Main Stand. Very rarely saw the City on telly so an appearance on MotD or Star Soccer was a treat. 

Remember a trip to Filbert Street with the Cubs (I was a sixer) and having a go with a medicine ball in the Gym. Also recall a tank with some sort of warm brown tar/wax liquid substance in the toilets which we all stuck our hands in. No idea why or what it was for. 

• Haha 1

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. We always stood in the 'Popular Stand' opposite the tunnel. I well remember the cinder track round the outside of the pitch. One game, in particular stands out against the 'Spuds' and the tannoy blaring out for youngsters to be seated on the track to allow more folk in. Gilzean, Greaves and keeper Brown were in their team. Halcyon days!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, truefox said:

There were plans for a Stadium expansion at Filbert St, one idea was to turn the pitch around so that the Double Decker would have ran across the length of the pitch!

Does anyone have any of these illustrations?

I remember that. I think the club were in the process of buying up all the houses that backed onto the ground.

There were plans for a Stadium expansion at Filbert St, one idea was to turn the pitch around so that the Double Decker would have ran across the length of the pitch!

I think it was reject due to the new stand needed along Burnmoor Street was deemed to be blocking out all the daylight to the houses opposite.

2 hours ago, truefox said:

Thankyou!!!

scan0001.jpg

My memory has played tricks on me. I thought it was a lot bigger than these photos indicate.

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think it was reject due to the new stand needed along Burnmoor Street was deemed to be blocking out all the daylight to the houses opposite.

I haven't got a copy of F&F to hand but I think it recorded that City were planning to build a new Double Decker stand alongside the Burnmoor Street side in the early 1930's. Planning regs were probably not as stringent in those days and the concerns of local residents not considered important. It got delayed as the money was spent elsewhere and never happened (obviously). West Ham used the same plans and built one at Upton Park. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, truefox said:

Thankyou!!!

scan0001.jpg

It was a bit before my time but what were the acoustics like from that stand? It almost looks like a giant speaker angled at the pitch!