Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Another Piece Of History

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

They didn't play with a beach ball on a billiard table in ballet shoes back then. If the current City team played those guys , they would have used all three subs  in the first ten minutes. 

I get that... it was a very different game back then, and Nottingham were doing exactly the same as us (can I use "us" for a game 20 years before I was born?) 

More of an observation really, but the criticism was of the tone of some of the posts on here after a loss... 

22 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I don’t know, I mum always hated forest with a passion, remember her telling me once that Banks let one in through his legs once which helped keep notts up. She reckoned it was deliberate to help keep a local team up as back then apparently local clubs looked after/out for each other, possibly something to do with travel to distances to each other etc.

She also didnt like Stan Mathews, hated how he’d come out the tunnel last to receive his own applause. lol 

PLEASE delete this unbelievable , impossible MYTH, Absolutely no disrespect meant to your mother but I suggest she may have had a little tipple on this day.

To suggest that SIR Gordon was ever capable of conceding a goal, never mind one through his legs is utterly preposterous!

Sometimes I fear that some of the posters on here purposely write controversial articles in the pursuit of notoriety!! .....:whistle:

22 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Now I know why the NFL had a "one team solid color, one team white color" rule for television.

I think it's the same in the NHL and NBA. Probably MLB, as well.

I think there was a World Cup, or other international tournament, fairly recently where the rule was that every team had to have an all-light coloured kit and an all-dark. Brazil were wearing their yellow shirts and white socks, but with white shorts instead of blue. Looked weird.

It's not a bad idea. Often, away kits in football are the same brightness, or 'value,' as that club's home kit. It's not really fair on colour blind people (or people still watching in black and white!).

1 hour ago, Gordon the Great said:

PLEASE delete this unbelievable , impossible MYTH, Absolutely no disrespect meant to your mother but I suggest she may have had a little tipple on this day.

To suggest that SIR Gordon was ever capable of conceding a goal, never mind one through his legs is utterly preposterous!

Sometimes I fear that some of the posters on here purposely write controversial articles in the pursuit of notoriety!! .....:whistle:

lol 

Of course it may be that she felt like you and thought it impossible to score past him so therefore he must have let it in. Add to that her hatred of forest..... lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

He did let one through his legs against Man City if I recall it correctly, actually it might have gone under his body.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

He did let one through his legs against Man City if I recall it correctly, actually it might have gone under his body.

He did..!!!  Even more funny he had just been balling out the defenders in Front of him for sloppy play....

4 years later Shilton did the same from the exact spot...One of the footy-magazines actually Picked up on it...

I use to have my own Pictures Album...Also separate for Rugby, & Speedway....

When I had moved out of my Home , a long Time gone, I told my mam, she could ditch them....und send some of the  Paraphanelia to

a Woman at Leicester city, who collected old memories, before/while Mr Hutchinson started...:nono:

I certainly remember that result and the context of it.  Pretty sure I was there - just approaching my 11th birthday and fairly early into my Leicester-supporting days.  (Being from Loughborough, had to decide between Leicester and Forest. Thanks to my Dad I made the right choice).

• Like 3

For some of the older fans who may have been there, what was the atmosphere like then? Were crowds segregated? I'm totally ignorant of the period, but the impression you get is that before the late 60s/early 70s it was very friendly, not tribal or as passionate, more a 'jolly good day out for all involved' kind of vibe. I realise I might be talking out of my arse here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

For some of the older fans who may have been there, what was the atmosphere like then? Were crowds segregated? I'm totally ignorant of the period, but the impression you get is that before the late 60s/early 70s it was very friendly, not tribal or as passionate, more a 'jolly good day out for all involved' kind of vibe. I realise I might be talking out of my arse here.

From what I can remember my mum saying was that when they turned up to grounds they’d try and find out where the City fans were congregating, (a kind of self policed segregation I guess) and then try and get in that stand/area. She said that you’d get to the back of the stand and if it was packed some people would push the crowd so they all surged forward and then they moved into the space created. I sure she said there were the odd scuffle but nothing like what plagued the game in the 80s. 

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 06:38, kushiro said:

It's like Christmas every day at the moment for anyone interested in the club's history. Yet another gem has just appeared on youtube - and this is one of the holy grails. It's arguably our biggest game of the 1950s - March 30th 1957, we are top of Division Two, Forest are 2nd, and the two clubs face each other at the City Ground. It was shown on BBC that night, and has never been seen since, at least not until 'the heavy roller' uploaded it this week. Who he or she is, and where they're getting all this amazing footage from, I don't know. 

It was a pretty dramatic game, as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdkHpDwPWzM&t=67s

That left us clear at the top, Forest dropping to third behind Blackburn, with Liverpool in 4th. We ended up coasting to the title, while for Forest  it looked like going down to their last game of the season - at home to none other than Notts County, who were fighting to stay up. But before it came to that, County did Forest a huge favour by beating Blackburn, and Forest could relax in 2nd place. They lost that last game 4-2 but it no longer mattered. Our last game produced a crazy result too - a 4-1 home defeat to Leyton Orient. Chances are both Leicester and Forest players had had one too many at their promotion celebration parties.

I've wondered where these sort of tapes come from too. Apparently, the first domestic video recorder wasn't available until 1963.

Unless I'm missing something obvious they must therefore have come from the BBC. I wonder if they sell them? If they do I've looked before and couldn't find a link. 

VCRs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_tape_recorder

10 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

There was no segregation and on the whole not many problems, in my experience (not that I went looking for trouble, and I was only a kid so may have been unaware of it if it existed).  There was a period later when hooliganism escalated and caught the headlines, so the FA brought in segregation.

You can see from the footage of the Forest game how, given that it was mostly standing, that with the crush of the crowd and the swaying etc the atmosphere was electric - depending on the game, I suppose.  Adding to that, the Kop was a double decker with people seated on the top tier who stamped their feet in unison on the wooden flooring when anything exciting happened.  That added hugely to the noise and the atmosphere.