Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Another Piece Of History

9 minutes ago, kushiro said:

Chances are both Leicester and Forest players had had one too many at their promotion celebration parties.

Post-promotion-foot-off-the-pedal-out-on-the-lash syndrome seems to be a common phenomenon for many clubs.

Leicester against Brighton a few years ago comes to mind.

I wonder if the stats confirm that this happens more often than not?

I love the old Black & White TV, where a team in blue and white plays a team in red and white ... in this case the blue just having a slightly lighter shade of grey ... but for all intentional purposes - they look the same.

(I remember watching Swindon v Leicester on the TV about 1970, and the 22 players looked pretty much identical)

Funny also how the commentator as often as not was calling them "Nottingham".   Only in the 2nd half did he say "Forest" a few times.   Maybe someone had a word at half time!

Edited by worth_the_wait

2 hours ago, kushiro said:

It's like Christmas every day at the moment for anyone interested in the club's history. Yet another gem has just appeared on youtube - and this is one of the holy grails. It's arguably our biggest game of the 1950s - March 30th 1957, we are top of Division Two, Forest are 2nd, and the two clubs face each other at the City Ground. It was shown on BBC that night, and has never been seen since, at least not until 'the heavy roller' uploaded it this week. Who he or she is, and where they're getting all this amazing footage from, I don't know. 

It was a pretty dramatic game, as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdkHpDwPWzM&t=67s

That left us clear at the top, Forest dropping to third behind Blackburn, with Liverpool in 4th. We ended up coasting to the title, while for Forest  it looked like going down to their last game of the season - at home to none other than Notts County, who were fighting to stay up. But before it came to that, County did Forest a huge favour by beating Blackburn, and Forest could relax in 2nd place. They lost that last game 4-2 but it no longer mattered. Our last game produced a crazy result too - a 4-1 home defeat to Leyton Orient. Chances are both Leicester and Forest players had had one too many at their promotion celebration parties.

That was great to see, thank you. 

• Like 2

I've always thought that the reason teams have third kits was to make teams easily identifiable when playing in black and white. I spent pretty much my whole childhood watching football in b&w and don't remember ever having the kind of trouble seen in this film, of discerning one team from the other.

In fact, isn't that why England played in red tops in the 1966 World Cup final? Though I guess in that case it would have also have been difficult in colour too.

Interesting to actually see club legend Arthur Rowley playing though!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've always thought that the reason teams have third kits was to make teams easily identifiable when playing in black and white. I spent pretty much my whole childhood watching football in b&w and don't remember ever having the kind of trouble seen in this film, of discerning one team from the other.

In fact, isn't that why England played in red tops in the 1966 World Cup final? Though I guess in that case it would have also have been difficult in colour too.

Derek Hines too......looked a bit Vardyish

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I may be wrong, but aren't 3rd kits a fairly recent idea? I don't think we had one until the mid-late 90s, and I don't believe many other clubs did, either. I think they were brought in by big clubs around that time to make some extra cash.

No, I don't think England played in red because of b&w telly. As you said, the teams would have been too hard to differentiate even in colour. Ours and Germany's home kits are almost identical.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, old koppite said:

Interesting to hear the loud roars when we scored or skilful piece of play. Suppose it was still the days of true sportsmanship and friendly rivalry. 

I don’t know, I mum always hated forest with a passion, remember her telling me once that Banks let one in through his legs once which helped keep notts up. She reckoned it was deliberate to help keep a local team up as back then apparently local clubs looked after/out for each other, possibly something to do with travel to distances to each other etc.

She also didnt like Stan Mathews, hated how he’d come out the tunnel last to receive his own applause. lol 

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's a good job Foxes Talk wasn't around back then... 

The amount of miscontrols, and giving the ball away during that clip...

Each player would have go an absolute slating on here: some not fit to put the shirt on again. 

The talk would all be around how promotion was nice, but we'd get destroyed in Division One! 

2 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

It's a good job Foxes Talk wasn't around back then... 

The amount of miscontrols, and giving the ball away during that clip...

Each player would have go an absolute slating on here: some not fit to put the shirt on again. 

The talk would all be around how promotion was nice, but we'd get destroyed in Division One! 

They didn't play with a beach ball on a billiard table in ballet shoes back then. If the current City team played those guys , they would have used all three subs  in the first ten minutes. 

• Haha 1