Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Elden Ring

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

My other half accidentally uninstalled starfield and I had 15 hours in it, I really can't bring myself to start again tbh which is why I thought of this. 

If I can't get it for decent money i'll give lies of P or The Witcher a go.

Lies of P is OK, but its a fairly basic imitation of the Souls games. Elden Ring is, by contrast, exactly the masterpiece everyone says it is. Go for it. 

4 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Lies of P is OK, but its a fairly basic imitation of the Souls games. Elden Ring is, by contrast, exactly the masterpiece everyone says it is. Go for it. 

I've never played one so thought i'd try something a bit more simple 1st

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I've never played one so thought i'd try something a bit more simple 1st

Well, if you can get it for 'free' via Gamepass, Lies of P gives a passable sense of what From Games are like, but if you were thinking of spending actual money, go for Elden Ring. Its just a much bigger, much richer and much more rewarding experience. 

If you like Elden Ring, you will likely like the new Lords of the Fallen too, and it’s a little more forgiving too. :ph34r:

Starting level or two are very bad adverts for the game at large

Edited by Dahnsouff

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

HELP! 

Have I got this right....

I kill an entire group of enemies in a ruin area outside the gates of the castle, go down into the dungeon bit underneath and get something nice out of the chest, I then visit a sight of grace to recoup my HP flask thingies and they all reappear as though I never did it? 

WTF

11 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I kill an entire group of enemies in a ruin area outside the gates of the castle, go down into the dungeon bit underneath and get something nice out of the chest, I then visit a sight of grace to recoup my HP flask thingies and they all reappear as though I never did it? 

WTF

Yep.

Welcome to Soulslike gaming.

12 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

WTF

When you rest the enemies respawn.

Also just finished this myself. 95 hours, finished one playthrough as classic SONAF/Jellyfish shield melee build, did most stuff except beating Malenia - intend to come back for her when I'm not thinking of throwing my controller across the room. Had to respec to use the Godslayer Greatsword specifically for the final two bosses though.

Can see why it's won the plaudits, so much to see and do and executed so well. Combat and bosses in particular are classic Souls-tough mostly but they don't seem unfair (again, mostly). Wondering about a mage build for NG+.

Edited by leicsmac

49 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep.

Welcome to Soulslike gaming.

lol love it

I can see why people say this game is a masterpiece already. I'm a casual gamer but it's definitely got me hooked. I know because im thinking about it when im not playing it which is unusual for me. 

Any hints and tips much appreciated 

14 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

lol love it

I can see why people say this game is a masterpiece already. I'm a casual gamer but it's definitely got me hooked. I know because im thinking about it when im not playing it which is unusual for me. 

Any hints and tips much appreciated 

It's a damn good game.

As for hints - are you going for a melee or ranged (magic/arrows) build? If you're melee and you're in Limgrave, I'd recommend heading south to the Forlorn Hound Evergaol (near the bridge that leads to the southern island) and taking on the boss there. He's quite a tough bastard but you get the Bloodhound Fang for beating him which is a great sword for going through the Stormveil Castle and for much of the rest of the game if you level it up. Once you've gotten through Stormveil you can access a place where you can get both the Sword of Night and Flame and the Jellyfish Shield, which are absolutely superb outfittings for pretty much the entire game.

Beyond that, early game if you're a melee build, learn the art of critical hits - either by sneaking up behind enemies or blocking with your shield and attacking back (riposte). Saves a lot of time and effort and makes things much smoother.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's a damn good game.

As for hints - are you going for a melee or ranged (magic/arrows) build? If you're melee and you're in Limgrave, I'd recommend heading south to the Forlorn Hound Evergaol (near the bridge that leads to the southern island) and taking on the boss there. He's quite a tough bastard but you get the Bloodhound Fang for beating him which is a great sword for going through the Stormveil Castle and for much of the rest of the game if you level it up. Once you've gotten through Stormveil you can access a place where you can get both the Sword of Night and Flame and the Jellyfish Shield, which are absolutely superb outfittings for pretty much the entire game.

Beyond that, early game if you're a melee build, learn the art of critical hits - either by sneaking up behind enemies or blocking with your shield and attacking back (riposte). Saves a lot of time and effort and makes things much smoother.

I have gone for Astrologer and I like a magic / melee mixed approach.......do some damage from just out of arms reach with magic and then do some stabby damage when reeling, I enjoy that mixed approach although appreciate it might not be best to spread too thinly. 

I'm also not good enough for a pure melee approach lol

7 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I have gone for Astrologer and I like a magic / melee mixed approach.......do some damage from just out of arms reach with magic and then do some stabby damage when reeling, I enjoy that mixed approach although appreciate it might not be best to spread too thinly. 

I'm also not good enough for a pure melee approach lol

Hmmm...then I reckon you still want to have the Jellyfish Shield when you get to it (easy to get it as well), but make sure you focus on building INT and Mind when you level up - those are the key stats for Astrologers - DPS and mana pool boosts respectively.

Also, from what I can see early game is tricky for mage/hybrid builds but once you get past Stormveil Castle there's lots of places pretty much right away in Liurnia that do great weapons and armour for such builds.

• Thanks 1

Enjoying this so much more than I thought I would. 12 hours in and still mincing around western limgrave like a useless twat. 

Have done a boss in a catacomb and two small ones in a sea cave. 

Not a clue what the stats mean and letters etc but having fun. 

Edited by Lako42

• 2 months later...