Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Napoli (A)

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Thursday 9th December - 5.45 pm GMT / 6.45 pm local time 

This isn't a thread for 'I wouldn't go there if I was you' or any other comments like that. Instead a knowledge hive to inform people what's required travel and the options for staying etc. Understandably there are concerns about the trip which were further deepened by the issues during the home game (my missus has been giving me ear ache for weeks since I booked flights). 

I have done a lot of reading and asking fans from other clubs who've travelled there in the last ten years. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Swansea have all visited in that time. There is no doubt there has been incidents, whether that's the police making fans turn up late or stabbings occurring in ambush events. 

Entry - as of 7/10/2021

Currently Italy is on the Amber list which requires a Day 2 PCR and passenger form when arriving back in the UK. To enter Italy if you vaccinated, you required fill in a passenger locator form which once completed gives a QR code/certificate - travel provider and border control will require this. In addition to this, you will be required to do a PCR/antigen test 48 hours before you arrive in Italy. If you are not vaccinated or can not prove you vaccinated, you will be subject to five days self-isolation. 

To visit restaurants, stadiums, museums, attractions you are required to have a 'Green Pass', proof of vaccination is currently considered satisfactory for UK residents for this. 

Travel - with availability according to Skyscanner as of 7/10/201

There are flights to Naples on Wednesday & Thursday  from Stanstead (Ryanair), Heathrow (British Airways), Luton (Ryanair) and Gatwick (Easyjet).

On the way back the same routes are available on Friday & Saturday. 

Note that there is ample selection to and from Rome as well - as documented elsewhere there is a bus running from Rome on the Thursday. Alongside this Sports Options is a possibility for a charter trip - however on Liverpool's last visit to Naples, they were unable to arrange a plane out due to curfews and had to cancel the trip. 

Arrangements 

It is unknown if ticket collection will be required. All English clubs have avoided doing this for Napoli/Naples due to the high risk. However, it is a near certainty that the local police will ask all travelling supporters to meet at the Port and take a bus for a specific time (generally around three hours before kick-off). Bare in mind that they will go the longest route. They will avoid where Napoli fans meet. They will be no toilet and they will be no opportunity for a drink. The away end will very likely have nothing but water on sale. The bus will literally drop you off at a compound where the away end is. The same process again at the final whistle and we will be kept behind for 45 minutes at least. 

Do's & Dont's 

1) Do not mention locations or arrangements on a public forum. As seen on the Warsaw thread, they will be watching. As a result,  @Mark

is there any where this can be made private or similar?

2) There will be 'spotters' in Naples - they will look to ambush small groups. Therefore keep to main streets and keep to very public areas. It's all about making it as difficult as possible. 

3) There are areas of Naples which are better than most. The Port and sea front is considered a safe zone - this is something backed up by Fans Europe. Generally the districts of Vomero and Chiaia are considered far more affluent. 

4) With the drop-off to the port post-game, wisely pick your hotel. It's a bottleneck for an ambush. 

5) The famous Spanish Quarter is densely packed and the streets are closely packed together. Do not stay near the Train Station which is a high crime area and is rough. 

6) A recommendation from an Arsenal fan was that if you are fair haired consider a cap or hat. They will assume light haired people are of North European origin. He witnessed Swedes being chased around on the assumption they are English. 

7) Be sensible. Being loud won't go down well. Staying out late makes it easier to get picked out. Be conscious of your group size. Popping back to your hotel room because you forgot something may not be wise. Nearly all articles centred around stabbings seem to late nights, lots to drink and small groups. 

8) Tourists do get taken advantage of - pickpocketing, taxis, mischarging. It's a penalty of Naples' poverty sadly. Keep valuables and cash at a minimum. 

9) If you concerned about your safety, don't play the tourist role with your map out. Take a card from the hotel and/or a number from your airbnb host. 

Despite all this Naples can be a good trip away - enjoy the daylight hours (see the Maradona murals), be sensible at night (pick a decent restaurant) and don't act stupid in the early hours (singing/gesturing). Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are all nearby. Some of the world's best food and pizza too. The estates from the TV series, Gomorrah etc are very far away from the city centre. 

Like I say let the conversation begin

Just to add, I believe that at the end of October the Day 2 PCR changes to a day 2 Antigen so as it stands if you’re fully vaccinated you’d need two antigen tests, one taken within 48 hours of your outward flight and one within 48 hours after landing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Thursday 9th December - 5.45 pm GMT / 6.45 pm local time 

This isn't a thread for 'I wouldn't go there if I was you' or any other comments like that. Instead a knowledge hive to inform people what's required travel and the options for staying etc. Understandably there are concerns about the trip which were further deepened by the issues during the home game (my missus has been giving me ear ache for weeks since I booked flights). 

I have done a lot of reading and asking fans from other clubs who've travelled there in the last ten years. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Swansea have all visited in that time. There is no doubt there has been incidents, whether that's the police making fans turn up late or stabbings occurring in ambush events. 

Entry - as of 7/10/2021

Currently Italy is on the Amber list which requires a Day 2 PCR and passenger form when arriving back in the UK. To enter Italy if you vaccinated, you are required fill in a passenger locator form which once completed gives a QR code/certificate - travel provider and border control will require this. In addition to this, you will be required to do a PCR/antigen test 48 hours before you arrive in Italy. If you are not vaccinated or can not prove you vaccinated, you will be subject to five days self-isolation. 

To visit restaurants, stadiums, museums, attractions you are required to have a 'Green Pass', proof of vaccination is currently considered satisfactory for UK residents for this. 

Travel - with availability according to Skyscanner as of 7/10/201

There are flights to Naples on Wednesday & Thursday  from Stansted (Ryanair), Heathrow (British Airways), Luton (Ryanair) and Gatwick (Easyjet).

On the way back the same routes are available on Friday & Saturday. 

Note that there is ample selection to and from Rome as well - as documented elsewhere there is a bus running from Rome on the Thursday. Alongside this Sports Options is a possibility for a charter trip - however on Liverpool's last visit to Naples, they were unable to arrange a plane out due to curfews and had to cancel the trip. 

Arrangements 

It is unknown if ticket collection will be required. All English clubs have avoided doing this for Napoli/Naples due to the high risk. However, it is a near certainty that the local police will ask all travelling supporters to meet at the Port and take a bus for a specific time (generally around three hours before kick-off). Bare in mind that they will go the longest route. They will avoid where Napoli fans meet. They will be no toilet and they will be no opportunity for a drink. The away end will very likely have nothing but water on sale. The bus will literally drop you off at a compound where the away end is. The same process again at the final whistle and we will be kept behind for 45 minutes at least. 

Do's & Dont's 

1) Do not mention locations or arrangements on a public forum. As seen on the Warsaw thread, they will be watching. As a result,  @Mark

is there any where this can be made private or similar?

2) There will be 'spotters' in Naples - they will look to ambush small groups. Therefore keep to main streets and keep to very public areas. It's all about making it as difficult as possible. 

3) There are areas of Naples which are better than most. The Port and sea front is considered a safe zone - this is something backed up by Fans Europe. Generally the districts of Vomero and Chiaia are considered far more affluent. 

4) With the drop-off to the port post-game, wisely pick your hotel/accommodation. It's a bottleneck for an ambush. 

5) The famous Spanish Quarter is densely packed and the streets are closely packed together, therefore difficult to navigate at night. Do not stay near the Train Station which is a high crime area and is rough. 

6) A recommendation from an Arsenal fan was that if you are fair haired consider a cap or hat. They will assume light haired people are of North European origin. He witnessed Swedes being chased around on the assumption they are English. 

7) Be sensible. Being loud won't go down well. Staying out late makes it easier to get picked out. Be conscious of your group size. Popping back to your hotel room because you forgot something may not be wise. Nearly all articles centred around stabbings seem to late nights, lots to drink and small groups. 

8) Tourists do get taken advantage of - pickpocketing, taxis, mischarging. It's a penalty of Naples' poverty sadly. Keep valuables and cash at a minimum. 

9) If you concerned about your safety, don't play the tourist role with your map out. Take a card from the hotel and/or a number from your airbnb host. 

10) Do not make your own way to the ground. Locals don't use taxis to the ground - they can pick out away fans easy with this. Metro can take you to the ground but again it has happened where away fans are picked out. 

Despite all this Naples can be a good trip away - enjoy the daylight hours (see the Maradona murals), be sensible at night (pick a decent restaurant) and don't act stupid in the early hours (singing/gesturing). Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are all nearby. Some of the world's best food and pizza too. The estates from the TV series, Gomorrah etc are very far away from the city centre. 

Like I say let the conversation begin

Absolutely fantastic post 👏👏 couldn’t have been written any better!

Edited by SeanInRome
Grammar police got me

I echo everything on the original post. I can't comment on Naples through a footballing aspect however having spent a few days there with a friend of mine, i can share my experiences on what it's like to visit there.

So when we landed, we went for a walk around the outer area of the airport, completely blind, and ended up in an area i now know to be Rione Berlingieri. To say this place was rough, would be an understatement but more in the way of being run down - almost poverty feel. We got plenty of strange looks, clearly lost tourists, but at no point did we feel threatened or unwelcome. Seeing high rise abandoned buildings, which are still occupied by families, was common place in and around that area of Naples.

We ended up staying at a place called Miramuseo which i believe we found on Booking.com. The area itself was safe enough although very little of Naples is tourist savvy so be prepared for language complications. That said, i actually preferred that as its more authentic and it really does feel like you are off of the beaten track unlike Rome etc which is built around tourism now.

There are plenty of bars & Restaurants around this area and its a very cheap night. We went out at night on a number of occasions, often staggering back drunk, and never had any problems. 

Naples is a very authentic place, it's run down for the most part, and not hugely 'Welcoming' but at the same time, never felt unsafe.

• Like 3

Was going to go with a mate a few years back to watch Arsenal play. In the end he went on his own, he got friendly with a couple of Arsenal fans staying in the same hostel and on the way to the stadium they got attacked by a group thugs with chains. One of the guys in his group got caught and beaten pretty badly with chains (FFS) and as they were totally outnumbered he said they couldn't do much about it other than call the police from a safe distance. Be bloody careful.

• Sad 2

I have just booked flight for two of us from Luton (Wednesday am) to Rome returning to Luton midday Friday £33 for both of us. Intend doing the transfer with Seaninrome which looks like best solution providing the club accommodate for ticket collection

• Like 2

For anyone thinking of doing the City Lights transfer from Rome with Sean in Rome I have emailed the ticket office requesting they facilitate ticket collection for those who intend travelling from Rome to Naples on the day of the game. I will update with any response, if any others would like to add support to this the email address I sent the email to was [email protected]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Killiefox said:

For anyone thinking of doing the City Lights transfer from Rome with Sean in Rome I have emailed the ticket office requesting they facilitate ticket collection for those who intend travelling from Rome to Naples on the day of the game. I will update with any response, if any others would like to add support to this the email address I sent the email to was [email protected]

I have emailed asking for a general update on how they anticipate distributing tickets based on the fact no other UK based team has done this in Naples due to very obvious safety concerns. 

• Like 1

So, it seems the club are wanting to put their own fans in danger for no reason. Frankly it's pathetic. 

Thank you for your email. We will be having a designated collection point in Naples for supporters to collect tickets.

We are mindful of the information we have received and have spoken to other Clubs who have been to Naples and done the collection point.

We have taken advice from the some of our colleagues at other Clubs on what we can do and we will heed the advice of them, Napoli officials and local police.

Tickets will only be able to be collected in the host City and can only be collected by the named person on that ticket as usual.

Kind regards

Jim

• Like 1

I have emailed again and they are basically hiding behind the fact that all other clubs have done it in other locations. 

They are not taking into account the events in Leicester which will make this worse than in previous games. 

One line in particular stands out in reply to my response: 'We have heard the stories from other Clubs and we are planning to put security measures in place to keep our supporters as safe as we possibly can'

It's a shame they won't put the one measure in place that guarantees it. 

• Like 1

Ticket collection at KP with passport  flight confirmation and names matching surely achieves the same goal without the potential for your own fans being attacked?

Really daft, hopefully the local police recommend against it as the email sounds like they haven’t consulted them properly yet?

• Like 1