Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

6N 2022

Squads, Round 1:

IRE vs WAL

SCO vs ENG

FRA vs ITA

Ours is pretty much as bad as feared. Josh Adams at centre, haha, Christ. Coupled with Tompkins' well documented defensive frailty I can see the Irish absolutely waltzing through the gaps in midfield. We've got pretty much double the caps amongst the injury list than is in the entire 23. Going to get absolutely hammered. Not in some @Izzy "oh isn't Finners such a funny scamp", tongue-in-cheek way. We're really going to get hammered. Revenge for 2019 hammered.

Predictions:

Ireland (BP) by >14

England (BP) by 10-12

France (BP) by cricket score.

Scotland potential losing bonus point if England's defence is somewhat porous. 

Oh & a Guscott and Moore to step down from BBC live coverage. The former definitely won't be missed, I'll be honest I'll sort of miss Moore in a way, he's good comic relief, especially if England are losing.

Edited by Finnegan
Scotland squad

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Squads for the opening round of fixtures coming out:

IRE vs WAL

SCO vs ENG

FRA vs ITA

(will edit with the rest as they come out.)

Ours is pretty much as bad as feared. Josh Adams at centre, haha, Christ. Coupled with Tompkins' well documented defensive frailty I can see the Irish absolutely waltzing through the gaps in midfield. We've got pretty much double the caps amongst the injury list than is in the entire 23. Going to get absolutely hammered. Not in some @Izzy "oh isn't Finners such a funny scamp", tongue-in-cheek way. We're really going to get hammered. Revenge for 2019 hammered.

Predictions:

Ireland (BP) by >14

England (BP) by 10-12

France (BP) by cricket score.

Scotland potential losing bonus point if England's defence is somewhat porous. 

Oh & a Guscott and Moore to step down from BBC live coverage. The former definitely won't be missed, I'll be honest I'll sort of miss Moore in a way, he's good comic relief, especially if England are losing.

We are pretty much injury free and all. It worries me more than it should as we now have more to lose.

I like Moore, he'll be missed. You're right about Guscott though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The thing is, it's impossible to know when you're being serious or not Finners.

You're the master at downplaying Wales' chances, while at the same time often guilty of extreme hyperbole.

Mix all that in with clear expertise plus massive cynicism, and you're a real complex quandary sometimes.

I love you, but I wouldn't want to be married to you :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The thing is, it's impossible to know when you're being serious or not Finners.

You're the master at downplaying Wales' chances, while at the same time often guilty of extreme hyperbole.

Mix all that in with clear expertise plus massive cynicism, and you're a real complex quandary sometimes.

I love you, but I wouldn't want to be married to you :cool:

I mean points 1 - 3 I freely concede, it's all part of my charm. In this instance though, Ireland are in good form and - as Nalis says - pretty much injury free with an embarrassment of Leinster-cultivated depth (and hired Southern Hemisphere talent) whilst Wales are going through a considerable transition period, have not adjusted to a new coach on whom the jury is still out and are decimated with injuries in a way that makes LCFC circa 2021 look fortunate. I mean, really, go and look up the bookmaker's odds or read a couple of articles if you don't believe me.

I mean, look, it's the Six Nations, anything can happen. Wales do get written off almost every year and still come up with tournament wins time after time. We were favourites to finish 4th/5th last year and won it, probably expected to finish about 3rd/4th in 2019 and took the Grand Slam, so. It genuinely baffles me that the "neutral" (English and Irish) press still repeatedly tip us to flop. These games are often closer than they should be, especially the first of the tournament, so I'm not saying it's impossible that Wales will win but we're definitely less well equipped for this tournament than we have been going in to any since about 2003.

Regards point 4, yeah I'm pretty sure Mrs Finners feels the same.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Squads, Round 1:

IRE vs WAL

SCO vs ENG

FRA vs ITA

Added Scotland squad. Pretty much their first choice, as with Ireland they've not got any major injury concerns. 

And now there's Ireland. One debutant in the form of Mack Hansen, deserved that.

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Ireland are in good form and - as Nalis says - pretty much injury free with an embarrassment of Leinster-cultivated depth (and hired Southern Hemisphere talent)

Interesting look at this.

Looking at at the squads and who is selected for this weekend:

England

Only one member of the squad qualifying on residency grounds, albeit one of the most high profile. Baffles me that Louis Lynagh (Aus) - son of Aussie great Michal - wants to play for England. Is in the wider squad but not this weekend's 23 and would be surprising if he plays anyway.

Scotland

Two in the starting line up, Johnson (Aus) and Van de Meuwe (SA). None on the bench. A hilarious ten players in their wider squad, outside the match day 23, are from either the Southern Hemisphere or North America. Seriously padding out the depth there.

Ireland

Aki (NZ), Hansen (Aus), Gibson-Park (NZ) in the starting line-up. Bealham (Aus) and Carbery (NZ) on the bench. Rob Herring (SA) in the wider squad, just noticed James Lowe (NZ) is out injured.

Wales

McNicholl (NZ) starts. None on the bench. Brad Roberts (SA) and Willis Halaholo (NZ) in the wider squad.

Personally think there should be relegation and promotion. I know the likes of Romania and Georgia probably wouldn't do any better than Italy, but them getting game time against quality opposition more regularly is surely a good thing?I also think it would go someway to growing the sport in those countries too. 

5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Personally think there should be relegation and promotion. I know the likes of Romania and Georgia probably wouldn't do any better than Italy, but them getting game time against quality opposition more regularly is surely a good thing?I also think it would go someway to growing the sport in those countries too. 

It's a hard no for me and I really wish people would bore off and stop obsessing over it (no offence!)

Literally none of the Unions want it, which isn't really surprising. The team that finishes fifth is only ever that one freak loss to Italy away from dropping out. Everyone's fine with relegation when they assume it's going to be Italy but the loss of any of the actual five nations from the tournament would be moronic.

Besides, Italy actually own a stake in the tournament, you can't just kick them out.

I think the competitiveness of Georgia, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Russia, etc tends to be pretty over hyped as well. They'd just get smashed the same as Italy do - probably more so - and then we go back to having exactly the same arguments about them that we do about Italy, all the patronising stuff about how losing every year isn't good to help build the sport, etc. 

I do think the sport needs to do more to cultivate the game on new frontiers, I do think the sport needs a better way of bridging the gap between Tiers 1 and 2 and I do think that the likes of Uruguay, Japan, Georgia, etc have done enough to warrant opportunities beyond their current station. But just chucking them in to established tournaments isn't the answer.

At the end of the day, I really wish governing bodies, media broadcasters and the likes would really STFU trying to mess with the formula of the Six Nations and just leave it well alone. Respect the tradition.

@BenTheFox @Nalis

Can we find a punditry/commentary team that we can all agree on to represent all Six Nations?

I could live with something like:

First Choice Commentator - Andrew Cotter (SCO)

Regular Co-Commentator: David Flatman (ENG)

Alternate Co-Commentators / Studio Analysts: 

BOD (IRE)

Sam Warburton (WAL)

Benjamin Kayser (FRA)

Marco Bortolami (ITA)

(*tough choice between BOD and Paul O'Connell)

(Absolutely vetoing Miles Harrison in advance, under the understanding and expectation that some boring Pom (looking at @Vacamion) is going to veto Eddie Butler.)

Edited by Finnegan

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

@BenTheFox @Nalis

Can we find a punditry/commentary team that we can all agree on to represent all Six Nations?

BOD (IRE)

Sam  Warburton (WAL)

Benjamin Kayser (FRA)

Marco Bortolami (ITA)

Completely fine with that. I would also accept Jamie Roberts representing Wales. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@BenTheFox @Nalis

BOD (IRE)

Sam Warburton (WAL)

Benjamin Kayser (FRA)

Marco Bortolami (ITA)

(Absolutely vetoing Miles Harrison in advance, under the understanding and expectation that some boring Pom (looking at @Vacamion) is going to veto Eddie Butler.)

Looks pretty good, I'd swap O'Connell for BOD though you've covered that already.

I'm so fickle but Cotter's voice doesnt do it for me. The alternatives arent great so I'll go biased and select a fellow countryman in Ryle Nugent.

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Interesting look at this.

Looking at at the squads and who is selected for this weekend:

England

Only one member of the squad qualifying on residency grounds, albeit one of the most high profile. Baffles me that Louis Lynagh (Aus) - son of Aussie great Michal - wants to play for England. Is in the wider squad but not this weekend's 23 and would be surprising if he plays anyway.

Scotland

Two in the starting line up, Johnson (Aus) and Van de Meuwe (SA). None on the bench. A hilarious ten players in their wider squad, outside the match day 23, are from either the Southern Hemisphere or North America. Seriously padding out the depth there.

Ireland

Aki (NZ), Hansen (Aus), Gibson-Park (NZ) in the starting line-up. Bealham (Aus) and Carbery (NZ) on the bench. Rob Herring (SA) in the wider squad, just noticed James Lowe (NZ) is out injured.

Wales

McNicholl (NZ) starts. None on the bench. Brad Roberts (SA) and Willis Halaholo (NZ) in the wider squad.

England havent had a down to True Blood Englishman since ...Well since Robin Hood was outed..

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@BenTheFox @Nalis

BOD (IRE)

Sam Warburton (WAL)

Benjamin Kayser (FRA)

Marco Bortolami (ITA)

Boring, moi?  Yeah, probably.

OK, I'll bite. I'm happy for Butler to do games

a) Except if it involves England, as he is clearly biased.

b) Wales are out, too. Same story.  He doesn't even try to hide it.

c) Not involving France, because he's commentating on a rugby game, not reading Baudelaire aloud.

This leaves

Italy v Scotland 

Ireland v Scotland 

Crack on, Eddie...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

The outdated/should not be on TV catergory:

Jonathan Davies

Brian Moore

Eddie Butler 

Stuart Barnes

Jeremy Guscott 

Clive Woodward

Have I missed anyone? 

I'm going to have to put this image in spoiler tags because, whilst I can't bring myself to type his name, I also don't want to be sick in my mouth every time I open this thread having to see his smug fvcking face. 

You get bonus points if you guessed before clicking (hint: no, it's not the Leicester Lip. It's worse.)

JS74576885.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm going to have to put this image in spoiler tags because, whilst I can't bring myself to type his name, I also don't want to be sick in my mouth every time I open this thread having to see his smug fvcking face. 

You get bonus points if you guessed before clicking (hint: no, it's not the Leicester Lip. It's worse.)

Reveal hidden contents

JS74576885.jpg

I thought it was him before I opened the hidden contents. Healy is worse in my view but the bar is extremely low.

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I thought it was him before I opened the hidden contents. Healy is worse in my view but the bar is extremely low.

For me, there's a little bit more tongue in cheek with Healy. The arrogance is a tiny bit more bravado, he's a bit cheekier, he knows what his reputation is and he's often just largely on the wind up. I see him as rugby's Robbie Savage to an extent. I think the fact he knows he's playing that role makes him less annoying and it's easier to laugh along with the joke. I also think his opinions on rugby are often pretty sensible, like Savage he's happy to say the unpopular thing when some of the other pundits are trying to beat around the bush and that can annoy fragile fans but he's often right. He isn't too influenced by his bias and is capable offering a faaairly neutral view on England and Leicester (although he doesn't hide his allegiance and is happy to have a bit of banter with old rivals.)

By contrast, Dawson has always been insufferably, detestably smug and self satisfied with no hint of irony, no hint of tongue in cheek and no humility. He just loves himself, loves his own voice and loves his own opinions. What makes this even worse is that, unlike Healy, he usually doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Not only does he genuinely seem to lack much depth of understanding of the sport he literally spent 20 odd years playing, he's THE single most blinded, biased, blinkered pundit in the world. He honestly makes David Campese look neutral and likeable which is a tremendous feat.