Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

6N 2022

Predicted the results in the whole thing and came out with this. Cant wait to see how wrong I get it by the end as we all know Wales will be challenging as always.

Fra 18
Eng 17
Ire 15
Sco 14
Wal 11
Ita 0

On another note I end up disliking someone organically, this year its Scotland's 'we're not talking ourselves up' while talking themselves up routine.

@Finneganwhats the view in Wales when it comes to squad selection and some regions being favoured over others when it comes to national selection?

With Ireland the 4 provinces love a bit of mud slinging when it comes to what team players are selected from. Leinster are seen to be favoured. They are the best team but when there is a marginal call on a position it seems to go to a Leinster player. Thats from my unbiased Ulster point of view of course...

Occasionally you get a bit of a murmur. I remember Gatland's first Six Nations game was away in England and he picked 13 Ospreys to start. It raised a lot of eyebrows and there was a lot of chuntering (especially with my lot, Scarlets fans) but his logic was pretty obvious. It was during the peak of the Ospreys "Galacticos" era when they were to the Celtic/Magners league what Leinster are now. 

In what became a ruthless tradition for Gats, he put tokenism and sentiment aside and just brutally picked the form side who all knew each other (Sorry, Scots Lion hopefuls.)

There were a few rumblings again when Pivac took over and the first thing he did was pick a very Scarlets heavy side but, again, I think deep down everyone appreciated why. 

Now you'll find we don't really have the kind of depth that Ireland and England do so, to be honest, we don't have as many of these problems because our team selection is usually completely obvious. Only place it tends not to be is at 10 and in the loose forwards. 

But the people that are sour about Biggar getting picked don't care what club he plays for, it's just about his style of play vs more expansive guys like Anscombe and Sheedy.

I mean there definitely is a bit of rivalry between the regions, you'll get the occasional wildly biased Cardiff fan that thinks one of their journeymen squad players should be capped or whatever but, yeah, it's rare we disagree much about the actual 15.

Especially right now with something like seven or eight Lions worth about 700 caps between them currently injured. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Thanks 1

I have been around Europe  flinging the egg ( as the Football fans will Call it) in a few shirts...

Funny Thing about 6 nations & World Rugby, I hate/dislike no team..My Heart is with the English & Irish...But I can go Off piste, so to say &

would happily watch any Two teams, scrum it out . In & After my playing career..

Though Northampton ,Gloucester Teams usually had Leicester Teams on their agenda when L'shire clubs went a visiting or touring...

And at some East/South/North Midlands & Cross Country trials, there was some heavy bias, more off the Field with area coaches,Stewards..etc

@Finnegan  @marco and others,  Love to Read your banter over the Real game of Football, when those periods of the season come around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Predicted the results in the whole thing and came out with this. Cant wait to see how wrong I get it by the end as we all know Wales will be challenging as always.

Fra 18
Eng 17
Ire 15
Sco 14
Wal 11
Ita 0

On another note I end up disliking someone organically, this year its Scotland's 'we're not talking ourselves up' while talking themselves up routine.

Scotland have comfortably been the most annoying team from a hype perspective for the last three or four years. I mean, the Scottish rhetoric of false dawns in nearly all sports is pretty tedious but in rugby it's partnered with this really cringeworthy pretentiousness because they think they're playing the game "in the right way." What this basically means is they've got a fly half with no game management at all and a few Quade Cooper tricks and they attack relentlessly. The best way I can sum up Scotland for a neutral or a part-time fan is to say they're essentially Bielsa's Leeds both in terms of gameplay and all the attached hype. They are fun to watch, no denying that, but they're also doomed to a certain amount of failure because they lack pragmatism. 

Don't get me wrong, they absolutely could come and win in Cardiff but we've been told that before numerous times and they've not won there for twenty years and they're notoriously shit on the road (particularly when they have to actually play in front of fans.) But they shouldn't be favourites and I'd be disappointed if they do beat us. I expect us to get a minimum of 2 wins. 

Given Scotland's home games are France and England, they could literally be in a wooden-spoon fight if they don't win today. Again.

That should be game over. 

It's tragic how much watching Pivac's Wales is like watching Rodgers' Leicester. 

You just get sick of every other team looking more energetic, better motivated, better organised, working harder, looking far more confident. 

We've got decent players but they're just wasted. 

We are getting the rub of the green in terms of the marginal refeering decisions but the scoreline is fair reflection of the game on balance.

Not the best of matches for the neutral this but happy enough with the performance and as long as we get a bonus points win I dont care.

We arent exactly prime ABs in terms of style of play but I must admit I didnt think Farrell would produce this balance style rather than effective Schmidt ball when he was appointed as head coach.

Faz Snr has been excellent to be honest. I raised an eyebrow when you hired him but what he's done with this Ireland team has been superb. 

The amount of confidence, the pure efficency in ball retention and the strength of the defence is just amazing. 

By comparison, we don't look coached at all.