Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

6N 2022

34 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I thought before the start it might be between the Irish and the French this year, Ireland looked decent...still think the French will win it though.

A lot will depend on the French pack and how well they compete for the ball. The Irish are just a different animal at the moment in the break down. The structure under Farrell both offensively and defensively in the loose is incredible. 

They absolutely suffocated Wales, offering no possession and forcing Wales to make hundreds of tackles relentlessly. 

France are the most awesome team in the tournament with ball in hand but if Ireland don't let them have it I can definitely see Ireland winning there. 

Interesting within a few minutes of the first half a penalty awarded for not observing the new brake foot rule. You'd think that they would have been thoroughly drilled in this being in the ref's crosshairs. 

Only three scrums in the entire first half. The indiscipline that you see in the modern scrum astonishes me. 

England look promising in the maul. 

Scotland could lose this through needless penalties - which is disappointing for them given how well they've defended. 

3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Is it me or is this ref really picky? Against both sides...

Yeah Ben O'Keefe, he's always like this, even in Super Rugby he's unbearable. 

See, people moan about blind refs, this is what happens when you have an optician (seriously) as a ref. Misses nothing, blows for everything. 

• Like 1

Just now, Staff said:

Haha what has Cowan-Dickie done there

Yeah silly decision to make, tip it behind even. 

How the fvck the scores are even is beyond me. 

England a bigger threat to Ireland overall so a Scotland win would suit me just fine!

I don't follow rugby enough to claim I understand the finer points of the game, but I'm baffled why England took Marcus Smith off when he was clearly our best player and still looked fresh. And sure enough, everything has gone to shit since he went off. Can anybody who understands rugby explain that decision?

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I don't follow rugby enough to claim I understand the finer points of the game, but I'm baffled why England took Marcus Smith off when he was clearly our best player and still looked fresh. And sure enough, everything has gone to shit since he went off. Can anybody who understands rugby explain that decision?

They always change the front row and fly half after 60 minutes.

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

So, two things there. 

The first is that Eddie Jones has a firm belief in what he calls "starters" and "finishers." In rugby you can make a lot more subs than in football and Jones has always been very keen to actively use quality off the bench to batter his opponent with fresh energy. In football we think of subs as mostly second rate players you bring in our of necessity. Jones advocates a different view in rugby and the quality on England's bench is strong. 

The second is that George Ford is more of a game manager than Marcus Smith. Marcus Smith is a running fly half with an electric skill set but Ford is a really excellent tactical kicker. At the time Jones made the switch you'd just taken a 7 point lead in a very close game. 

It's a bit like going a goal up in a cup final and bringing on a more defensively minded, Pirlo style midfielder to replace your Del Piero who's been running all game. 

The problem is, in this analogy the second you do that, Paulo Maldini inexplicably decides to go two footed in to a challenge in the box and get sent off and give a penalty away. 

Jones decision would have looked like genius if Cowan Dickie hadn't basically single handedly given this game to Scotland. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3