Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

i'm relatively confident in saying that most people on here won't have a net worth of over £95k.

One poster commented that their house went up in value by £45k in 3 months.

A significant number that own a property will have a net worth in excess of that.

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

i'm relatively confident in saying that most people on here won't have a net worth of over £95k.

40% equity in an average Leicestershire home is 95k, let alone any other assets such as savings, shares, cars Etc. Granted most is an exaggeration but a lot of people who think taxing the rich is the answer to poverty are among the rich as far as the world is concerned. 

44 minutes ago, kenny said:

Just waiting it out until their parents snuff it and the inheritance comes pouring in...

They’re tough old buggers though, I’ve been trying to hurry them along for years.

Edited by Strokes
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kenny said:

Just waiting it out until their parents snuff it and the inheritance comes pouring in...

Call me a cynic, but they will have jack shit if their property is rented and the parents have debts and loans to be repaid.

Not to mention the cost of any funerals unless they have made arrangements in advance to cover the cost.

Maybe you were directing your comment at a certain section of society.

Maybe you were also being cynical.

29 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Call me a cynic, but they will have jack shit if their property is rented and the parents have debts and loans to be repaid.

Not to mention the cost of any funerals unless they have made arrangements in advance to cover the cost.

Maybe you were directing your comment at a certain section of society.

Maybe you were also being cynical.

As someone set to inherit the jack shit end of the inheritance stick I'm well aware of society. ( Bar the teddy bear collection including a couple of number 1s- thanks mum). 

Lots will be benefiarcary of the boom years and will be aware of this. My boy will grow up knowing his parents plan to spend every penny and he will need to earn his own way. Poor kid.

5 hours ago, Benguin said:

40% equity in an average Leicestershire home is 95k, let alone any other assets such as savings, shares, cars Etc. Granted most is an exaggeration but a lot of people who think taxing the rich is the answer to poverty are among the rich as far as the world is concerned. 

Which is assuming everyone is debt free, owns their car outright and has a large share portfolio.  I'd wager that most people under 40 aren't in that boat and they will have 90% mortgages that they are trying to pay down.  

13 hours ago, Parafox said:

Local Asda diesel, £1:74 a litre. Local Morrisons less than a mile away, £1:66 a litre.

It's been like that for the last 5 days. Why?

Business reasons.

Different pricing models needing different profit margins over a longer period?

Different buyers bought oil futures at different rates? I.e. asda bought on a shorter term and are now having to pay more to secure supply.

There will be other reasons as well.

Just now, blabyboy said:

Business reasons.

Different pricing models needing different profit margins over a longer period?

Different buyers bought oil futures at different rates? I.e. asda bought on a shorter term and are now having to pay more to secure supply.

There will be other reasons as well.

Yup. It's called fleecing people. And it's been around since the cavemen. 

All businesses need to make a profit, if you want it capped, go and form a political party, or start lobbying politicians better than the RAC or AA.

If you don't like it, there are alternative means of transport. Probably less desirable, but there are alternatives. And i suspect more of us will be taking them up if prices continue upwards, or can persuade the government to alter its taxing scheme for this resource.

• Like 1

On the above, I'll say it again: a possible silver lining from this very, very dark cloud is that more people might be incentivised to seek solutions for forms of transportation that don't rely on sizeable carbon emissions.

Of course, we still need to sort out power generation there, but it might at least be a piece of the puzzle.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

All businesses need to make a profit, if you want it capped, go and form a political party, or start lobbying politicians better than the RAC or AA.

If you don't like it, there are alternative means of transport. Probably less desirable, but there are alternatives. And i suspect more of us will be taking them up if prices continue upwards, or can persuade the government to alter its taxing scheme for this resource.

Of course they need to make a profit. What they don't need to do is use covid/war as an excuse to increase their profit unreasonably. It's simple greed. :)

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

On the above, I'll say it again: a possible silver lining from this very, very dark cloud is that more people might be incentivised to seek solutions for forms of transportation that don't rely on sizeable carbon emissions.

Of course, we still need to sort out power generation there, but it might at least be a piece of the puzzle.

Took the bus to work yesterday. They really aren't the solution.

I wish someone would let SPS know.

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Of course they need to make a profit. What they don't need to do is use covid/war as an excuse to increase their profit unreasonably. It's simple greed:)

Ok I'll bite.

Can you actually prove that, or is it your supposition because it's a current state that you don't like?

6 minutes ago, kenny said:

Took the bus to work yesterday. They really aren't the solution.

I wish someone would let SPS know.

Nope.

However, individual transportation powered electrically/by hydrogen, coupled with better public transport infrastructure where needed, is.

6 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

Ok I'll bite.

Can you actually prove that, or is it your supposition because it's a current state that you don't like?

I've gotta be honest, it wouldn't be the first time such companies have acted like a cartel.

Can it be proven in a court of law? Probably not. Is it a reasonable assumption based on past behaviour? Probably yes.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Nope.

However, individual transportation powered electrically/by hydrogen, coupled with better public transport infrastructure where needed, is.

I've gotta be honest, it wouldn't be the first time such companies have acted like a cartel.

Can it be proven in a court of law? Probably not. Is it a reasonable assumption based on past behaviour? Probably yes.

Tbh, I'd be more with you both if we were complaining about this approximately 2 yrs ago when supply was heavily outstripping demand due to the start of covid - there were no significant drops in price.

Now, although not nice, the price seems more justified simply because of the state of world events. The cost of getting petrol to the forecourt feeds into the overall price and let's not forget a significant amount of those forecourts are independent retailers that have lots of overheads to contend with, all of which have to be priced into the final amount we pay per litre. Most profit is made on the way down in price not on the way up i.e. retailers take advantage of the 'lag' between the drop at source and then the drop on the forecourt.

Edited by blabyboy
Fat fingers