Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

22 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The VAT and fuel duty has got to be cut surely soon? Wonder if we'll start to see a maximum price for fuel, it'll be over 200p in the next few days at this rate.

Can't see that happening, or the government will have to recoup the money from elsewhere, like slapping an extra 30% on council tax or NI contributions

9 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Can't see that happening, or the government will have to recoup the money from elsewhere, like slapping an extra 30% on council tax or NI contributions

Then God help those at the bottom, anyone doing a decent amount of miles in a motor is going to see their motoring expenses rise a lot. It won't matter one jot to those in PCP or leased newer cars, they'll just sell them, but for those running a shed doing 10k miles a year, this combined with the gas and electric costs rising and the food prices rising is probably going to tip them over the edge.

My birds lease on her flat ends in October, we might be forced to move in together at this rate :sweating:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Strokes said:

Having just seen the fuel price increases, I’m preparing to send an email to my customers and clients on rate increases my end.

A job I quoted before Christmas is going ahead in April, and the materials have gone up 40%. It’s not worth doing the job now as there is nothing left for Labour 🙈

Do it.

I slapped a 10-15% increase across the board from Jan1st and I’m prepared to do it again in June if things don’t stall or reverse.

Every client expected it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Do it.

I slapped a 10-15% increase across the board from Jan1st and I’m prepared to do it again in June if things don’t stall or reverse.

Every client expected it.

Yeah I spoke to my biggest customer today and agreed a 10% hike. They said they are charging more now too, as they anticipated most of us subcontractors would become a rising figure.

Hopefully the rest are as understanding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Yeah I spoke to my biggest customer today and agreed a 10% hike. They said they are charging more now too, as they anticipated most of us subcontractors would become a rising figure.

Hopefully the rest are as understanding.

Sure they will 🤞

My personal view and it might be ignorant so willing to hear good rebuttal of this.

The only way to create a fair for everyone economy is to reach true globalism. That can not and will not ever happen. Capitalism is the best of a bunch of less than ideal options. 

Met my youngest brother yesterday. He's a early 30's. A few years married with a 2 year old. Building up a professional career - decent job. Asked me if I had my revised gas rate (which was weird as he is boring but not that boring). I said no to which he took a big gulp and said I've had mine - £221 per month. I couldnt believe it. At 30 something, with a mortgage and a young family, what is he meant to do there. The bit that got me was it was on his mind. It wasnt the usual route of conversation. 

The next few years is going restrict many and effect so many.

On 10/03/2022 at 05:43, Dahnsouff said:

Never understood why people feel state ownership rather than private would lead to management by more scrupulous individuals, it is the same people who would be involved. Large sums of money attract a certain sort of person, and to pretend avarice does not exist in the public sector is like suggesting hubris does not exist in public service.

The big advantage of public ownership is that any profits are shared between everyone. Private ownership means all profits are shared only with a select few, the shareholders. 

4 minutes ago, enmac said:

The big advantage of public ownership is that any profits are shared between everyone. Private ownership means all profits are shared only with a select few, the shareholders. 

Idealistically yes, similar to cooperatives such as John Lewis for example, but some people like bigger shares, etc, etc.. Neither systems fairs well in the face of avarice was my point.

2 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Octopus Energy have quoted me £277 per month :jawdrop: My payments at present are £126

Is that on the Loyal Octopus tarrif? You _might_ be better off on the SVR, or it may better to take and protect yourself from the further increase in October 22. Octopus are currently ensuring they are £50 lower than the new price cap increases which is one of, if not the best of the providers at present.

21 minutes ago, enmac said:

But usually the public ownership company is that badly mismanaged it won't be making any profits, just horrific losses lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

But usually the public ownership company is that badly mismanaged it won't be making any profits, just horrific losses lol

Some things exist to provide a service and not to make a profit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Some things exist to provide a service and not to make a profit.

Correct, but these things are usually so badly mismanaged that it costs us hundreds of millions or billions, and then we end up going full circle and making it a privately owned company again. There's zero accountability so people usually get a free pass.

• Like 1

My dual energy payments are rising from £132 per month to £255 per month.  That's over £1500 extra per year.  My pension is just over £7,000 per year so that means that something else will have to go, probably satellite TV/phone/internet access package which is over £1000 per year.

• Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I read Private Eye regularly. In nearly every issue, the amount of mismanagement and government subsidy(our money) the privatised rail companies, previously the nationalised British Rail, is discussed. Talk about mismanagement. 

Compare this with France's state owned Railway. They are clearly doing better. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_France

• Like 1