Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

New Witcher Game

https://thewitcher.ly/ANewSagaBegins

We’re happy to announce that the next installment in The Witcher series of video games is currently in development, kicking off a new saga for the franchise.

This is an exciting moment as we’re moving from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5, beginning a multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games. It covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant. We'll closely collaborate with Epic Games’ developers with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences.

At this point, no further details regarding the game — such as a development time frame or release date — are available. 

REDengine, the technology which powers Cyberpunk 2077, is still being used for the development of the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion.

• Like 1

Cyberpunk 2077 was such an absolute hot mess that surely they're not fvcking this up. 

Never mind the fact it was unforgivably broken and unfinished when it launched, many people haven't forgiven CDPR because 2077 wasn't, and never will be the game they promised.

Their reputation is still in tatters IMO. A shit-hot new Witcher game, and all will be forgiven (mostly).

There's no way they're making the same mistakes again. It would be suicide. 

25 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

There's that obviously but I was referring more to the absolute shambolic, deceitful, outright untruthful PR disaster that was the launch of 2077.

Can't be any worse! 

13 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

No pressure, guys. 

13 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Exactly. Witcher 3 up there with my all time favourite games. 

Good luck... 

This was half the problem with Cyberpunk, to be fair. Hype. The player base worked themselves up in to a frenzy from which they were never going to accept anything other than their vision of the game. I worry for CDPR for two reasons: firstly, because I think Witcher 3 is such an overwhelmingly popular game I'm not sure any studio can actually follow that and secondly because having had such a nightmare with Cyberpunk, any hint of disappointment will be blown wildly out of proportion.

For the record, I do agree that the other half of the problem with Cyberpunk is they struggled to keep the game compatible with older consoles whilst maximising it for better hardware and they should have been way, way more transparent about that and their board need to take a long hard look in the mirror when considering how they conduct themselves in future.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

This was half the problem with Cyberpunk, to be fair. Hype. The player base worked themselves up in to a frenzy from which they were never going to accept anything other than their vision of the game. I worry for CDPR for two reasons: firstly, because I think Witcher 3 is such an overwhelmingly popular game I'm not sure any studio can actually follow that and secondly because having had such a nightmare with Cyberpunk, any hint of disappointment will be blown wildly out of proportion.

For the record, I do agree that the other half of the problem with Cyberpunk is they struggled to keep the game compatible with older consoles whilst maximising it for better hardware and they should have been way, way more transparent about that and their board need to take a long hard look in the mirror when considering how they conduct themselves in future.

Don't buy the hype thing good games are good and bad games are bad, cyberpunk wasn't disappointing it was a broken, unplayable mess. Look at a game like Elden Ring, you have some of the most hardcore fans about who would tear it to shreds if it wasn't up to par and it's selling like hot cakes and getting universal praise. Then look at something like cyberpunk or bf 2042, they were hyped but that's because, like Elden Ring, the studios behind the games have built a reputation. It's their own fault for making crap/substandard games and lying about it. 

20 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don't buy the hype thing good games are good and bad games are bad, cyberpunk wasn't disappointing it was a broken, unplayable mess.

Sorry I don't agree with this. In fact, I'd say it's bordering on objectively untrue. 

Not the part about Cyberpunk coming out with a tonne of bugs, it definitely did. But it was actually very playable on PC and by and large next gen consoles. Lots of us on here have decent gaming PCs/laptops and had a blast with it even from launch. 

You're absolutely right that the casual gaming crowd (filthy console peasants) were furious that it didn't work on the PS4 and the Xbone. But I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about actual CDPR fans and the wider "gamer" community. 

The Cyberpunk "community" that developed on official websites, twitter, reddit etc were upset about the bugs - definitely - but their biggest gripes and most consistent complaints were that the game just wasn't what they were hoping for. It didn't match the hype. 

r/cyberpunk really lead the charge on this. Because the game was so long in the making and every delay came with "be patient guys we just want to make the game you're hoping for" they took that as validation of their ever growing expectations. It got wildly out of control. And the fact the game was in development for years with few gameplay glimpses gave them ages to let their imaginations run up a fever. 

By pre release they were frothing at the mouth expecting some 100% fully immersive alternate reality set in the Cyberpunk world like some kind of Ready Player One meets The Matrix. The expected feature list was impossibly long and basically involved being able to do everything and go anywhere from the tabletop RPG setting, something that's fundamentally impossible (which is why I think Larian tempering expectations with a long term early access stage for Baldurs Gate 3 is really intelligent) for a computer game. 

For people like myself that never bought in to that expectation and anticipated something in between The Witcher and the Deus Ex series, Cyberpunk hit exactly where I expected it to and two or three CTDs and a few funny bugs where cars dropped through the floor didn't take any shine off that (are you even an RPG gamer if you aren't spamming quick save anyway?)

I loved it. I've logged 250hrs over the last year and it's one of my favourite games of the decade so far. 

But r/cyberpunk is still like the gaming equivalent of r/freefolk, they're still moaning away today about X, Y or Z feature that isn't in the game. 

Their complaints about the bugs were secondary to their complaints that just so much content they had all told themselves would be in the game (regardless of what CDPR had said) was absent. 

• Like 2

This is my favorite game ever. Very excited by this, but also not going to get my hopes up for the reasons stated above.

My main concern is this is just the money people behind CDPR milking the success of WH with a new game. I'm sure I read somewhere the main people involved with WH have all left the studio now, which isn't a great start

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I loved the Witcher games but I'm not trusting these ***** again lol it seems like a desperate way to gain some popularity back, because they pretty much finished the story and it's perfect how it is

I don’t think it will have anything to do with Geralt and that story (hopefully anyway)

I think the Cyberpunk fiasco shows how quickly a reputation can turn. With the release of W3 there were regarded as the greatest devs of AAA games because they made a masterpiece but also because of how they patched and supported the game and the fact that even from launch they threw so much free stuff at players (one of the last physical editions I bought as it was basically like most games collector's edition).

Then they make one mistake (a massive one) and now they're hated more than anyone else. Let's hope we see the old CDPR. 

They've got a big job on to rebuild their rep post Cyberpunk - which I thought was actually a very, very good game in the end, but it absolutely needed another 12-18 months of work before it was released. Hope they learn a few lessons from this fiasco. They're going back to a franchise that they know inside out, and have a lot of experience with, so I'm hopeful they'll knock it out of the park. The switch to UE5 is very interesting, they've certainly had a lot of problems with RED Engine for Cyberpunk. A CDPR game built on UE5 has the potential to be staggeringly good.

In terms of what I think we might get - I wonder if it'll be a prequel? Certainly won't be a continuation of Geralt's story. I think it might end up being a bit like Cyberpunk in that you design your own Witcher, perhaps a long time pre or post the current timeline. Excited either way