Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Mobile - NFT Ticketing is SHIT

Guest Sideshow Faes

What's the problem with them? Couldn't be easier to use. They'll obviously be some for whom technology like this won't be helpful - particularly elderly people perhaps - but for the majority it's just click a button to add the ticket to your Apple or Google wallet, click about two things on the day to aim a qr code under a scanner. Things always go wrong first time but I don't get the uproar over something so simple to use for the vast majority that use their phones for virtually everything.

46 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

So beyond that group why so much complaining? 

Because people understand that arbitrarily restricting entrance to supporters who have a certain type of phone is a bad thing, presumably. Not everyone has or wants an NFC compatible smartphone. It doesn't affect me but that doesn't me I don't think it's a stupid idea.

• Like 4

Guest Sideshow Faes
17 minutes ago, Guest said:

Because people understand that arbitrarily restricting entrance to supporters who have a certain type of phone is a bad thing, presumably. Not everyone has or wants an NFC compatible smartphone. It doesn't affect me but that doesn't me I don't think it's a stupid idea.

You don't need an NFC enabled phone. You can just use the qr code.

Guest Sideshow Faes
Just now, Guest said:

And if you've not got the facilities to do that?

Are there other options available for those without the facilities? Yes there are.

The issue must be with people because the technology works fine. Never had a problem with it at Leicester or multiple other grounds where my tickets have come through the same system. The challenges to those who do not have phone etc are faced by them flying with many airlines and train companies. You can get a paper ticket see them all the time so what’s the issue. It’s a fact a whole swathe of society want digital only and business loves to push burdens to customers. By the way it is not an age thing I fall in the ‘old’ category. By the way the push is from the Premier League and EFL as a group not just Leicester City

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to today's email regarding the ticket resale platform, you can now forward your ticket to non members. The person needs to have an account set up and something about a fee, which I've not read the details of, but that's at least a bit more helpful. 

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
On 19/08/2023 at 12:03, SemperEadem said:

Just give people a choice, it is that simple.

Those unable to use the technology do have other options. But why should the club give others a choice when the digital version costs less, is greener and those people are just moaning for the sake of moaning?

Had a nightmare with this, friends season tickets given to me, lent them to one of my friends. They got ID'd (I don't know why, never heard of this happening before...) obvs name did not match those on the card, cards confiscated and entry refused. Next steps unclear.

I foolishly switched back to physical cards this year as my dad much prefers them but I will not be making this short-sighted, ill thought out and stupid mistake next season. This episode has shaken me up and it's NFC all the way from now on, they can't confiscate your phone, or ID those using the screenshotted QR code for entry. The anonymity of NFC ticketing is priceless.

20 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Had a nightmare with this, friends season tickets given to me, lent them to one of my friends. They got ID'd (I don't know why, never heard of this happening before...) obvs name did not match those on the card, cards confiscated and entry refused. Next steps unclear.

I foolishly switched back to physical cards this year as my dad much prefers them but I will not be making this short-sighted, ill thought out and stupid mistake next season. This episode has shaken me up and it's NFC all the way from now on, they can't confiscate your phone, or ID those using the screenshotted QR code for entry. The anonymity of NFC ticketing is priceless.

I don't think mobile tickets helps you here ... surely,  the club can still effectively do the same (ie stopping entry and confiscating the ST) ?

The mobile ticket presumably still has a name associated with it, so they could still ask for ID?  (although the sensible answer would usually just be to say you don't have any).    Although why the club are so fkin obsessed with ID is another matter.

Plus they can still "confiscate" your Seaston Ticket - whether it's a physical card, or just electronically blocking your mobile phone pass.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I don't think mobile tickets helps you here ... surely,  the club can still effectively do the same (ie stopping entry and confiscating the ST) ?

The mobile ticket presumably still has a name associated with it, so they could still ask for ID?  (although the sensible answer would usually just be to say you don't have any).    Although why the club are so fkin obsessed with ID is another matter.

Plus they can still "confiscate" your Seaston Ticket - whether it's a physical card, or just electronically blocking your mobile phone pass.

Nope, it’s a screenshot if you use the QR code behind the NFC pass for entry. There’s no ID.

They can’t confiscate the ticket, that would mean seizing your phone, which can’t happen. 

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Nope, it’s a screenshot if you use the QR code behind the NFC pass for entry. There’s no ID.

They can’t confiscate the ticket, that would mean seizing your phone, which can’t happen. 

I get what you're saying.  

But as the club are behaving like paranoid secret police, I would have thought they are within their rights to say that a QR code isn't valid on its own.   They could say that NFC mobile ticketing is only valid with a "full digital ticket", and not simply a QR code.  So they could still refuse you admission.

ok, they can't confiscate your phone ... although I wouldn't put it past them to try!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I get what you're saying.  

But as the club are behaving like paranoid secret police, I would have thought they are within their rights to say that a QR code isn't valid on its own.   They could say that NFC mobile ticketing is only valid with a "full digital ticket", and not simply a QR code.  So they could still refuse you admission.

ok, they can't confiscate your phone ... although I wouldn't put it past them to try!

Good points well made. As nfc becomes more widespread I presume all the loopholes will become apparent by people much cleverer than me. I remain a fan! 

• 3 months later...

Stupidly I signed up to this at the start of the season thinking it wasn't that bad. I've tried to change it but the club have refused saying they can see I've signed in successfully.

It's a right faff to get it working correctly - have to take my phone cover off (which is quite bulky as i smash my phone often) and it takes a good 20-30 seconds to work which is quite a long time when you're queueing to get in. I don't use Google wallet at all for this reason as its a pain.

Any advice on this?