Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Varifocal glasses - anyone wear them?

6 hours ago, Raj said:

I’ve been told, and read ina few places, that you need to get varifocals from an optician and it’s too risky sending off a prescription and buying online. Any know how true this is?

10 hours ago, davieG said:

Had them for 20+ years sometimes I forget I’m wearing them.
Make sure you get the best . I just bought some replacement ones from Specsavers under their price offer includes varifocals and they were useless. Ended up going back to Asda as they include every thing like thin lenses, anti glare and scratch resistant in their price. Bought some vsrifocal sunglasses for when I’m driving.

Not happy with Specsavers, you’d recommend Asda then? 

21 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Not happy with Specsavers, you’d recommend Asda then? 

Specsavers we’re ok but with the varifocal offer deal their varifocals only cover a very narrow centre of the lens nowhere near as good as my old Asda ones. 

I got two pairs of varifocals from Asda one of which where sunglasses with all the extras for what I thought was a great price. I also got some simple computer glasses in their cheapest frames.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, davieG said:

Specsavers we’re ok but with the varifocal offer deal their varifocals only cover a very narrow centre of the lens nowhere near as good as my old Asda ones. 

I got two pairs of varifocals from Asda one of which where sunglasses with all the extras for what I thought was a great price. I also got some simple computer glasses in their cheapest frames.

Thanks

What’s your take on ordering varifocals online?
If they were only slightly out you may not even notice but could be an expensive mistake to make.

Blimey, just looked at online and varifocal lens prices range from £70 to £300 and sometimes more. Don’t seethe point with going cheap but is there really a difference between a lens at £190 and one at £300. Unless you’re a fighter pilot would anyone notice the difference?

Edited by hackneyfox

3 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Thanks

What’s your take on ordering varifocals online?
If they were only slightly out you may not even notice but could be an expensive mistake to make.

3 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Blimey, just looked at online and varifocal lens prices range from £70 to £300 and sometimes more. Don’t seethe point with going cheap but is there really a difference between a lens at £190 and one at £300. Unless you’re a fighter pilot would anyone notice the difference?

There seems to be a number of grades of varifocals depending on how much of the lens they cover. My special offer Specsavers  only used a very narrow centre section hence the price difference on just the lens price.

6 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

I’ve been told, and read ina few places, that you need to get varifocals from an optician and it’s too risky sending off a prescription and buying online. Any know how true this is?

No problem at all buddy.

You can scan/email your prescription off to glassesdirect and even talk to an optician there prior.

I'm sure most online places are the same, but I've only used them.

Glassesdirect were half the price of my local optician and you have a 30 day trial period too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

7 hours ago, Raj said:

No problem at all buddy.

You can scan/email your prescription off to glassesdirect and even talk to an optician there prior.

I'm sure most online places are the same, but I've only used them.

Glassesdirect were half the price of my local optician and you have a 30 day trial period too.

If you order varifocals online, how do they know where to align the graduation? Whenever I've been fitted for varifocals I've had lots of pen scribbles all over the front of the lenses, indicating pupil position and where it all goes. And once you receive the glasses, how do they get adjusted for comfort? I normally have a good 3 trips back once I have a new pair to adjust the fit.

The varifocals, of a similar standard to the ones I have, are £60 less on glassesdirect, so I could be interested next time.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

If you order varifocals online, how do they know where to align the graduation? Whenever I've been fitted for varifocals I've had lots of pen scribbles all over the front of the lenses, indicating pupil position and where it all goes. And once you receive the glasses, how do they get adjusted for comfort? I normally have a good 3 trips back once I have a new pair to adjust the fit.

The varifocals, of a similar standard to the ones I have, are £60 less on glassesdirect, so I could be interested next time.

Only ever purchased my varifocals online but I think the graduation is dependant on how much you pay for the lens component and the vision of the varifocal.

Does that make sense?

The more you pay the more the "tunnel" of varifocalness...if you get my meaning!

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

This is what I mean and why it worries me about buying varifocals online.

Specsavers and a few others won’t even sell varifocals online.

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Only ever purchased my varifocals online but I think the graduation is dependant on how much you pay for the lens component and the vision of the varifocal.

Does that make sense?

The more you pay the more the "tunnel" of varifocalness...if you get my meaning!

I get that element, but, that relates to the width of vision, which is greater with more expensive lenses. I mean, where each section of the lens starts top to bottom i.e. the top is distance, middle is medium and the bottom section is near. If they aren't correctly positioned, you don't get the benefit of the varifocal.

My current pair initially had the reading section starting too low, I couldn't read the laptop without tilting my head back. I had them remeasured and remade. That's the part I don't know how they work out if you order online.

5 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I get that element, but, that relates to the width of vision, which is greater with more expensive lenses. I mean, where each section of the lens starts top to bottom i.e. the top is distance, middle is medium and the bottom section is near. If they aren't correctly positioned, you don't get the benefit of the varifocal.

My current pair initially had the reading section starting too low, I couldn't read the laptop without tilting my head back. I had them remeasured and remade. That's the part I don't know how they work out if you order online.

It's getting too technical for me now🤣🤣 but I know what yor saying.

I dont know about that then Pal.

I said before I did have some issues with them initially like most of us but after a few weeks of walking down the stairs like an OAP they were okay.