Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Varifocal glasses - anyone wear them?

I've worn reading glasses for the last 10 years but recently found myself walking around the house and driving with them still on and not even realizing.

Went for an eye test yesterday and told I need varifocal glasses. I'm now resigned to the fact I need to wear glasses all the time but I'm getting old so I guess it comes with the territory.

Anyhow, does anyone on here wear varifocals and if so, how do you get on with them? They sound complicated to me (almost like having three pairs of glasses in one)

I ended up paying for the expensive ones which have less blurred peripheral vision apparently? :dunno:

Yes. Once you get over the misery of buying them because you're now an old git, they are brilliant.

The less blurred peripheral vision is an expense that is worth it.

The opticians will tell you it can take a good 2 weeks to acclimatize to them. It only took me a couple of days. It's a bit strange when you first get them, and you do move your head around in a weird, nodding way for a while.

I've got varifocal contact lenses too. Also, brilliant, but still mystified how they work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Yes. Once you get over the misery of buying them because you're now an old git, they are brilliant.

The less blurred peripheral vision is an expense that is worth it.

The opticians will tell you it can take a good 2 weeks to acclimatize to them. It only took me a couple of days. It's a bit strange when you first get them, and you do move your head around in a weird, nodding way for a while.

I've got varifocal contact lenses too. Also, brilliant, but still mystified how they work.

Thanks, I'm glad you said that. I figured if I'll be wearing them all the time then it was worth paying a bit extra.

Glad to hear you get on well with them :thumbup:

Had them for 20+ years sometimes I forget I’m wearing them.
Make sure you get the best . I just bought some replacement ones from Specsavers under their price offer includes varifocals and they were useless. Ended up going back to Asda as they include every thing like thin lenses, anti glare and scratch resistant in their price. Bought some vsrifocal sunglasses for when I’m driving.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks, I'm glad you said that. I figured if I'll be wearing them all the time then it was worth paying a bit extra.

Glad to hear you get on well with them :thumbup:

I had the same opinion. I'm sure the lower spec work fine, you just need to turn your head slightly to benefit from the true prescription section if looking to your side.

Once you get then and are used to them, definitely check the levels are in the right place. I had a new pair last year and the reading element was way too low. The optical assistant tried to convince me I needed to get used to varifocals, but they weren't my first pair and knew tilting my head back to read the computer meant they were wrong.

Hope they work as well for you.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Had them for 20+ years sometimes I forget I’m wearing them.
Make sure you get the best . I just bought some replacement ones from Specsavers under their price offer includes varifocals and they were useless. Ended up going back to Asda as they include every thing like thin lenses, anti glare and scratch resistant in their price. Bought some vsrifocal sunglasses for when I’m driving.

I've ordered mine from Specsavers so hope they're O.K.

With all the anti glare etc. it cost about £300 for two pairs (excluding the frames) which seems a lot but hopefully worth it over time.

I was also told I've got early onset of cataracts and need to wear sunglasses more often so also need to shell out on a decent pair of those too :rolleyes: 

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

With all the anti glare etc. it cost about £300 for two pairs (excluding the frames) which seems a lot but hopefully worth it over time.

I was also told I've got early onset of cataracts and need to wear sunglasses more often so also need to shell out on a decent pair of those too :rolleyes: 

Hopefully at that price you've paid extra for better varifocals, I found out their standard ones have a narrower viewing range.

• Like 1

Yep.

My optician said I will soon need varifocals when I was about 45.

Hit 50 a couple of years ago and she said 'Sorry Raj, now is the time!!!".

I was devastated  as it's a sign of old age!.

Had a look at the options at my  opticians (Optivion on East Park Rd) and a pair were over £500!!!

Anyway took my prescription and got 2 pairs from glassesdirect.

Paid for tte best lens package I could and I've got to say they are BRILLIANT!!

First 2 weeks of having them were weird especially walking down the stairs!!!

Bite the bullet and go for it, you wont regret it...old man!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I've worn reading glasses for the last 10 years but recently found myself walking around the house and driving with them still on and not even realizing.

Went for an eye test yesterday and told I need varifocal glasses. I'm now resigned to the fact I need to wear glasses all the time but I'm getting old so I guess it comes with the territory.

Anyhow, does anyone on here wear varifocals and if so, how do you get on with them? They sound complicated to me (almost like having three pairs of glasses in one)

I ended up paying for the expensive ones which have less blurred peripheral vision apparently? :dunno:

Good to hear that others got on with varifocals but I tried them and gave up.  My vision was often blurred, I walked into stationary objects and I dare not use them for driving.  If they work out for you, great, if not there are alternatives.  I'm managing without them over 20 years after I was told I needed them by my optician.

• Like 1

I find mine a bit tricky for golf, mate (you may have noticed). 

For me, teeing up and addressing the ball on the fairway is more difficult that when I wore single lens/normal glasses. 

Other than that, exactly what others have said - a bit noddy to start off with and then you just get used to it. 

Have you thought about laser eye treatment? Less of a ball ache than wearing glasses for the next couple of decades. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Good to hear that others got on with varifocals but I tried them and gave up.  My vision was often blurred, I walked into stationary objects and I dare not use them for driving.  If they work out for you, great, if not there are alternatives.  I'm managing without them over 20 years after I was told I needed them by my optician.

Is it worth having another go at them after such a long time you reckon?

17 minutes ago, Milo said:

I find mine a bit tricky for golf, mate (you may have noticed). 

For me, teeing up and addressing the ball on the fairway is more difficult that when I wore single lens/normal glasses. 

Other than that, exactly what others have said - a bit noddy to start off with and then you just get used to it. 

Have you thought about laser eye treatment? Less of a ball ache than wearing glasses for the next couple of decades. 

My sister had this done a few years back and swears blind (:D) it was the best thing she ever did. Cost her a couple of grand I think but she reckons it was well worth it.

Don't think it's for me though tbh. Not just the cost but I actually don't really mind wearing glasses. Makes me look 'distinguished' according to the ladies :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Yep.

My optician said I will soon need varifocals when I was about 45.

Hit 50 a couple of years ago and she said 'Sorry Raj, now is the time!!!".

I was devastated  as it's a sign of old age!.

Had a look at the options at my  opticians (Optivion on East Park Rd) and a pair were over £500!!!

Anyway took my prescription and got 2 pairs from glassesdirect.

Paid for tte best lens package I could and I've got to say they are BRILLIANT!!

First 2 weeks of having them were weird especially walking down the stairs!!!

Bite the bullet and go for it, you wont regret it...old man!!!

I'm 50 this year and with recently discovering grey pubes and now needing permanent glasses, I feel like the end is nigh :(

I only wear reading glasses, but as @Raj said Glasses Direct were great.

They send you a few pairs to try on for free, then just put your prescription in to the website and a few days later they turn up.

Much cheaper than a high street optician. 

I'm one of those idiots that has a pair of Ray Bans, make me look intelligent at the pub quiz though!

And I don't think I could survive the summer without my sunglasses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

All of my pairs have been Specsavers, and I've had no problems.

Did you have reactolite lenses in your glasses? Another £50 on the cost but again well worth it if you're wearing them full time.

41 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm 50 this year and with recently discovering grey pubes and now needing permanent glasses, I feel like the end is nigh :(

Mate we are like fine wines...get better with age....Dont let ANYONE say otherwise!!!

All the best looking blokes have glasses!!!😎

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I only wear reading glasses, but as @Raj said Glasses Direct were great.

They send you a few pairs to try on for free, then just put your prescription in to the website and a few days later they turn up.

Much cheaper than a high street optician. 

I'm one of those idiots that has a pair of Ray Bans, make me look intelligent at the pub quiz though!

And I don't think I could survive the summer without my sunglasses.

glasses direct have a sale on at the minute incase anyone requires...

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/mse-exclusive/?irclickid=QIJyoO061xyNWlKS4oWsaVifUkAw-x1423gdSw0&irgwc=1&utm_source=impact&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=73359

6 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

All of my pairs have been Specsavers, and I've had no problems.

Did you have reactolite lenses in your glasses? Another £50 on the cost but again well worth it if you're wearing them full time.

They did offer me this option but I said no as the costs were spiraling.

On second thoughts I probably should have said yes but I think I'll just get a decent set of sunglasses separately. 

Just now, Izzy said:

On second thoughts I probably should have said yes but I think I'll just get a decent set of sunglasses separately. 

I've generally had one with and one without. However, the faff of taking glasses and remembering sunglasses if wearing the non reactolite got on my nerves. And then you have to keep swapping over. Sorry to spend more of your hard-earned ££, but I'd add it on, if it's not too late.

The only downside to them, is when driving, they don't fully tint in the car.

• Like 1

I tried them on the advice of the optician as I (then) needed to do fairly intricate procedures on patients that needed a close focus level, then to immediately change to a range of reading/typing on a keypad or other piece of kit.

Unfortunately they sudden contrast in focus made me feel sick. Binned them and now only use readers.

Optician said I should wear them all the time and I tried but even coming downstairs meant I was looking down through the magnifying part of the lens, I couldn't focus and felt quite unsteady.

Edited by Parafox

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I wish I had on mine.

When it sunny(The 5 weeks of the year!) and your trying to read with sunglasses on you cant because you need your varifocal glasses.

You put them on and the brightness does your eyes in.

I have got away with putting sunglasses OVER my glasses.

It works but you look a bigger div than ever!😎🙄

• Haha 1