Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Hard to Believe (but true)

Leeds City Council . in a review of links to the slave trade and colonialism, have concluded that Billy Bremner had no such connection, so his statue (outside the Elland Rd ground) can remain. In a similar review, Birmingham City Council have concluded the statue of Tony Hancock is 'low risk''' as he did not have any links to the slave trade (but he had some outdated views 'reflective of the time'.)

[Given the budgetary pressure local authorities face, are such reviews the best way to use a limited budget? Was it really necessary to consider whether Bremner had links to slavery?]

Completely NOT woke*. Thanks @Tommy Fresh. Utterly useless and a stupid waste of money.

And I imagine Leeds council won't be the only ones investigating statues of prominent local people.

(Looking at you, Soulsby)

*Edited just now to reflect my new understanding

Edited by Parafox

4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

This thread has one pager written all over it am afraid 

There's been many that I've thought same about, only for them to run to 3, maybe 4, when the keyboard warriors get on board.

There's already 2 responses to your post.

FT posters can be quite unpredictable .

Unless it's the matchday thread

Edited by Parafox

Just now, Finnegan said:

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Is being woke a bad thing?

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Ah. I understand now. I never knew what it actually meant and obviously my post reflected that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Okay sure, I will. 

Every local authority in the country almost certainly has a small team charged with monitoring equalities. Whilst, yes, that team will be responsible for all of the stuff that makes Daily Mail reading boomers cringe (training courses about protected characteristics and pondering over what the official terminology should be for this or that minority group) they're also responsible for a lot of genuinely important stuff like monitoring the authority's Equality Impact Assessments which are a legal requirement for most significant actions undertaken by the authority. 

It'll be a tiny team of a handful of staff paid an unimpressive, mid-tier wage. Their cost to the general public is massively insignificant and they're pretty much mandatory due to policy set by central government. 

It's more than likely one such team that's been tasked with doing a small project in Leeds which probably took all of about a couple of hours on someone's Friday afternoon and the alternative was just taking down the statue "just in case" which, no doubt, would have outraged you even more for... idk, reasons?

I've edited my post and mentioned you as you will see.

Thanks for the explanation. Woke is a term I never really understood and now that I do, taking down a statue does not outrage me, if it's precautionary. That said, some of the woke protests can be reactionary to what people see on social media and ill though out.

History cannot be changed by the removal of monuments. Most nations will have some sort of unfortunate history because they knew no better at the time. It is what it is. 

BTW I detest the DM. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Ever see the James O'Brien caller who was calling things woke and just had no clue what it actually meant, sensational stuff

That could've been me. lol

It wasn't.

I just got "woke" completely the wrong way round. It's what happens when you're "of an age".

I guess I am Woke, then, as I am politically aware. I'm not influenced by the Daily Mail. I am upset about our Colonialism in the past and that the things we do now in terms of racism, social injustice, political bias and influence against minorities, the unfair justice system... 

I could go on but it's time for my Horlicks. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Ever see the James O'Brien caller who was calling things woke and just had no clue what it actually meant, sensational stuff

I doubt many people in this country could give a good definition of capitalism or communism. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

I doubt many people in this country could give a good definition of capitalism or communism. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Where have I said woke isn't a thing? My point was more that it gets used by people who don't actually understand what it means as per the video posted by @Finnegan

Edited by Tommy Fresh

There needs some sort of term for this kind of faux outrage/knee jerk/reactionary nonsense.

Anyone with half a brain can extrapolate even from such scant information that in the wake of various statue scandals Leeds, and other councils, undertook an exercise to review all statues for potential offence, there is a statue of Billy in Leeds, therefore it got risk assessed. It probably didn't take very long.

18 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Where have I said woke isn't a thing? My point was more that it gets used by people who don't actually understand what it means as per the video posted by @Finnegan

What does it mean? 

I think it's almost undeniable that since 2020 there has been a massive increase in the problematising of 'whiteness', a micro-focus on differences of identity, and pushing of the theory that existing inequalities are down to historic wrongs such as colonialism. I also think that this has steadily increased since the economic problems of the early 2010s, which I don't think is uncoincidental. If that's not 'woke' then fine, but please tell me what word I'm allowed to use in its place.

14 minutes ago, bovril said:

What does it mean? 

I think it's almost undeniable that since 2020 there has been a massive increase in the problematising of 'whiteness', a micro-focus on differences of identity, and pushing of the theory that existing inequalities are down to historic wrongs such as colonialism. I also think that this has steadily increased since the economic problems of the early 2010s, which I don't think is uncoincidental. If that's not 'woke' then fine, but please tell me what word I'm allowed to use in its place.

I genuinely don't get what you're getting at, I initially asked why being woke was a bad thing? Then pointed out numerous people use the term woke in a way it shouldn't be used or in a negative way? 

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I genuinely don't get what you're getting at, I initially asked why being woke was a bad thing? Then pointed out numerous people use the term woke in a way it shouldn't be used or in a negative way? 

Fair enough. Sorry if I come over as a little cranky. I feel like I'm constantly told 'woke' either doesn't really exist or is something totally benign, when at the same time I see it used to describe developments I believe are very negative.