Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Other Team Transfers 2023

5 hours ago, honeybradger said:

This is a transfer that we'll be looking back on this time next year as a massive missed opportunity. 

or more likely an opportunity that even his previous boss doesn't seem to be interested in.

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

What about if they are on wages far too much for their ability? We know they are on a decent number 

That's an entirely different question - assuming that they didn't have relegation clauses, it's fair to say their salaries are far too much for the level they're playing at - but as for their ability, well, i suppose this remains to be seen.  Soumare doesn't look like he's going to be involved;  Vestergaard clearly couldn't adapt to the BR game or personality, but has been a full danish international and spent his entire career (i believe) in the prem or bundeslige, admittedly it's not much to go on but he looked decent and much more at home playing maresca-ball, so there's no reason why he can't earn at least part of that salary; Daka is something of an enigma, his stats are good when he plays, he just can't get that continued regular game time, but we've seen he's more than capable of performances worthy of his salary; praet is much the same - he's still a belgian international with top flight pedigree, if he isn't sold, there's nothing to say he won't have has best season for us, given the defences he'll be playing and the regular games he's likely to get.

It's all ifs and buts, but the quality is there, whether we get to see it remains to be seen - but having them here, regardless of salary, the potential of having 4 players far too good for this league is not something we can guarantee if they are sold and replaced.  It's very interesting to see how this unfolds.

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

WBA signed Jeremy Saramiento on loan from Brighton, another one of their exciting Ecuador talents who can play as an inside forward or 10. He’s got a bad injury record but otherwise very highly thought of. Could definitely have done a job here!

Living on the coast and having quite a few Brighton supporting mates, they all said he’d be perfect for us and just needs minutes to continue his development.

A bit gutted as he has Knockaert vibes and we need a bit of individual quality to truly maximize Enzo ball IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

or more likely an opportunity that even his previous boss doesn't seem to be interested in.

He's clearly a classy player. Forgive me if i cant give the club the benefit of the doubt on a transfer that on the surface looks ideal for us, especially after witnessing the shambolic management of the club over the last few years.

58 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He's clearly a classy player. Forgive me if i cant give the club the benefit of the doubt on a transfer that on the surface looks ideal for us, especially after witnessing the shambolic management of the club over the last few years.

So you feel maresca's opinion is also untrustworthy?  Even though he has worked with him for a year?  Trouble is, as you say, you, personally, can only see what kind of deal it is on the surface, Maresca, however, must have a perfectly clear idea of what he feels about the deal, and clearly, classy as he may be, clearly he didn't rate him enough to push for us to sign him, or that he was suitable for the way he wants us to play .  Or are you about to suggest that he probably did rate him and the board told him he couldn't have him, being shambolic an all :rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

So you feel maresca's opinion is also untrustworthy?  Even though he has worked with him for a year?  Trouble is, as you say, you, personally, can only see what kind of deal it is on the surface, Maresca, however, must have a perfectly clear idea of what he feels about the deal, and clearly, classy as he may be, clearly he didn't rate him enough to push for us to sign him, or that he was suitable for the way he wants us to play .  Or are you about to suggest that he probably did rate him and the board told him he couldn't have him, being shambolic an all :rolleyes:

I do have a question and I don't mean this in a disparaging way, but do you genuinely think our board/behind the scenes operations haven't been shambolic in recent years?

27 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I do have a question and I don't mean this in a disparaging way, but do you genuinely think our board/behind the scenes operations haven't been shambolic in recent years?

I'll keep this short as i've made my point elsewhere:

Fundamentally, I don't think they have got every decision right - in hindsight i'm sure they'd probably do things very differently.  But the key issue for me is that we really don't know WHY they made the decisions that they made, what options they had and what they actively did behind the scenes - as such i don't feel it is fair to assume anything about their actions, right or wrong, we just have to accept what the situation was and what the outcome was, rather than guessing or pandering to gossip and rumour.  So now, as fans, we're split into two schools of thought -  a) that the board (based on post-vichai) that delivered us 9th, 5th, 5th & 8th place finishes and an FA cup, found themselves in a situation brought on by numerous factors (covid, injuries, ffp, brendan rodgers, european demands) where they we're unable to do what they needed to do (strengthen the squad, sell players etc) and thus followed a plan that should have been adequate to get them through to this summer, but which unfortunately didn't transpire on the pitch; or b) that the board that delivered us 9th, 5th, 5th & 8th place finishes and an FA cup suddenly became incompetent, unable to function, wilfully negligent and disinterested in running a football club - not just one of them, but all of them, collectively....

Given that we don't and will never know what happened i'm inclined to go with something closer to the first scenario.  If only because the second option just doesn't seem rationally or professionally possible - individual mistakes, collective errors of judgement, sure, inevitable, but for every member of the board to become in the space of half a season fundamentally unsound to the point where they were incapable of running the club - it's just absurd.

Is everything perfect? No.  Could changes be made to the board members? Perhaps.  Am i happy with the relegation? No. Could it have been avoided? Possibly, possibly not.  Is it purely due to the incompetence/neglect of the board? no.  Are they a shambles? No. Have they shown that they understand the fans? Not adequately.  Have they shown an ability to positively react to the situation? So far, it does seem so.

I hope that answers your question.

(I'll only respond to comments by The Rorab - so save your breath if you disagree with me)-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

We'll never know why we didnt go in for him unfortunately, whether it was up to Maresca or the board. What we will know in 6 - 8 months time is whether we have dropped the ball or not by not going in for him based off his performance in Belgium. Hopefully we've made the right decision here but i have a feeling Mebude will be considered one of the major emerging talents this time next year and will already be considered a level above the players we can attract.

Edited by honeybradger

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

...i have a feeling Mebude will be considered one of the major emerging talents this time next year and will already be considered a level above the players we can attract.

Given this time next year we'd expect to be a Premier league side he's gonna need to be breaking some serious records to be considered a level above what we can attract.

21 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

#39 in their squad, 3rd signing this window after Elanga, Ola Aina, how the **** are they making this work

I really don't get the hysteria over their squad size. They'll just name the 25, when the time comes, as they did last year, and send out on loan the one that miss out.

7 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I really don't get the hysteria over their squad size. They'll just name the 25, when the time comes, as they did last year, and send out on loan the one that miss out.

That's 14 loan deals theyre currently looking at and not for young and talented players, we're talking the likes of Chris Wood on silly wages. Either way you look at this, it's just bad business, there's a decent chance they'll have to subsidise wages or won't be able to clear the players at all 

Edited by LFox99

18 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

That's 14 loan deals theyre currently looking at and not for young and talented players, we're talking the likes of Chris Wood on silly wages. Either way you look at this, it's just bad business, there's a decent chance they'll have to subsidise wages or won't be able to clear the players at all 

They'll sack some (Shelvey & Toffolo apparently), Sell some, loan out some, give some away to their sister club Olypiacos and just generally won't list some, so they'll get the hint and do one. I shouldn't let it worry you. Forest fans up here certainly aren't losing sleep over it.

Just now, FoxinNotts said:

They'll sack some (Shelvey & Toffolo apparently), Sell some, loan out some, give some away to their sister club Olypiacos and just generally won't list some, so they'll get the hint and do one. I shouldn't let it worry you. Forest fans up here certainly aren't losing sleep over it.

On top of this, they'll get a new keeper, defensive midfielder and striker all still to come!

25 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

As they prepare for another season in the top flight, having flirted with relegation all season I’m not to sure they will be bothered about the number of players or financial implications at this stage.

It worked for them last season, and they will hope to acquire more talented players than last season.

Edited by HankMarvin

20 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Well well well... I'm slowly getting sick of this Thailand tour, dicking about on the other side of the planet while decent targets are moving to bottom table Belgian clubs

I think the last part of this indicates his level at this moment 

34 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Surely Saints at this moment have the best looking squad.

far off it

JWP, KWP, Onuachu, Lavia, Livramento all in talks to leave

JWP likely going to West Ham, KWP being courted by Fulham (alongside Timmy), Onuachu reported to want to return to Genk and to play UCL football with them, Lavia to Liverpool, Livramento to Newcastle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Not a transfer but it's just occurred to me the best player in the league last year Nathan Tella, will potentially be back in this league again next season with Southampton. Surely Saints at this moment have the best looking squad.

right on queue

11 hours ago, honeybradger said:

We'll never know why we didnt go in for him unfortunately, whether it was up to Maresca or the board. What we will know in 6 - 8 months time is whether we have dropped the ball or not by not going in for him based off his performance in Belgium. Hopefully we've made the right decision here but i have a feeling Mebude will be considered one of the major emerging talents this time next year and will already be considered a level above the players we can attract.

I'm sure we could have got him if we wanted him. And judging a decision on a player in hindsight is the most useless activity one can undertake....  

8 hours ago, LFox99 said:

#39 in their squad, 3rd signing this window after Elanga, Ola Aina, how the **** are they making this work

Are they though? - unless they make significant progress over last year, that magical home support will soon start to wither....  for new PL teams, season 2 is often harder than season 1.