Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Commonwealth Games

Just reading about the games being without a host for 2026 and 2030. It appears to be dying. I suppose the whole thing is a bit of an anachronism. 

Shame though. A mini Olympics.  A decent portion of the world is involved and removing USA, China, Europe and Russia gives a chance for some others to be winners. 

I wonder if they could consider having a guest, non commonwealth host each time that already has the infrastructure? Say France after the Olympics? Or Brazil? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-67609960

Edited by Paninistickers
Link added
  • Like 1

Leicester 2026! why not lol.

If you look around the world in sports it seems like many countries are struggling to finance major events... hence why we are seeing many joint world cup bids. It's sad as no doubt it does bring tourists to your country and city. I reckon 2026 will end up in London, using some of the 2012 venues. Commonwealth games seems not to have the appeal no more even British athlete's pull out in order to save themselves for the Olympics. Asher-Smith I seem to recall had a mysterious injury just weeks before Birmingham, don't think it was announced what the injury was. Seem to recall another athlete who can't remember, sure it was the swimming even admitted they wanted to focus on the upcoming Olympics. 

Think in time we will see more and more less countries involved, as many are pulling away from the commonwealth.

In ten years time It'll probably be only 

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Canada taking part. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

10 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Leicester 2026! why not lol.

If you look around the world in sports it seems like many countries are struggling to finance major events... hence why we are seeing many joint world cup bids. It's sad as no doubt it does bring tourists to your country and city. I reckon 2026 will end up in London, using some of the 2012 venues. Commonwealth games seems not to have the appeal no more even British athlete's pull out in order to save themselves for the Olympics. Asher-Smith I seem to recall had a mysterious injury just weeks before Birmingham, don't think it was announced what the injury was. Seem to recall another athlete who can't remember, sure it was the swimming even admitted they wanted to focus on the upcoming Olympics. 

Think in time we will see more and more less countries involved, as many are pulling away from the commonwealth.

In ten years time It'll probably be only 

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Canada taking part. 

It's had it's day, i say put it out of its misery.

It all seems a bit sad.   It looks like it's on its way out, but has provided lots of fun and pleasure to 1000's of athletes and fans.     Wasn't it also the first major world athletics competition to be fully "inclusive" re disabilities and women's events etc?

It feels a bit like the old Home International Football tournament.   A bit quirky, and ultimately got squeezed out by other "modern" competitions.    But at the end of the day, it was sporting competition and was sad to see it go.

• Like 1

A lot of the Commonwealth countries are pretty poor so for them hosting it isn't an option. Its obviously way down on the list of sporting events, lesser than Olympics, world's, even European. The games stem from Britain's colonial past and apart from nostalgia what exactly is keeping the games in an already packed fixture calender.  Its a shame with the history of the games if it dies out but times change, things move on and a number of countries in the Commonwealth are seeking independence from Britain and trying to move on from their Colonial pasts.

Surprised a city like London or Sydney with still a venue legacy from the Olympics haven't picked it up. Particularly given the hosts can shape the sports included now. 

As a former city resident and worker in Birmingham, there's no really effect to the city here other than three weeks. 

Sadly, even though its very enjoyable and all the points about giving other nations opportunities have strong merit, the costs are just astronomic and that isn't covered till ticket sales and if that goes wrong you are in trouble.

From memory Delhi 2010 didn't have great crowds AND it has been the only non Australia/UK venue since 1998, tells a big story on the cost front and the desire to host, look SA pulled out late for 2022 before Birmingham stepped in.

Sad

It's been dying for a while now. With Canada, Australia, South Africa etc all withdrawing from hosting recently, there doesn't seem to be any viable host apart from the UK and there doesn't seem to be any appetite here to host it. We're only 2.5 years out from the 2026 games so there really isn't much time.

If the CG does survive, I can't see the 2026 edition happening. Maybe they can find a host for 2030 (Singapore, Malaysia?) but unfortunately I think it has had it's day.

• Like 1

Nobody really cares about it over here in Canada except the athletes lol.

People cant buy food the last thing we need is tax dollars going to these or any other games.

Mr Charles over there should fork out from his vast wealth for 1 last games in the UK. Then end it forever.