Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Saudi Pro League

What is the opinion of everyone? 

Does it have a long term future? 

I can’t be the only person that thinks every club needs a rebranded name? :D

It's one thing pouring money into big boxing spectacles, or the region hosting international tournaments that pull in the relatively wealthy spectators from all over. A domestic league requires local and dedicated support which doesn't just appear overnight. I think they are banking on the next generation of supporter not really support clubs, but the players that move to that club. Reality is there are only a few players who can bring in that type of interest (Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Naymar), but the reality is that's not enough to hold interest for the whole domestic calendar. And is it interesting enough to have Ronaldo playing in a match where the defence is made up players who couldn't get into lower league football in most countries? Its very low in the list of things that i can be bothered to watch.

They won't improve the standard just by buying last years superstars. Unless there is a long term plan to develop players throughout the league then its as doomed as the other short term rich ideas.

Saudi Pro league as it stands doesn't bother me. What concerns me more is what they will dream up when they decide a local domestic league isn't going to work.  I can see them coming up with the 'next generation' club tournaments hosted there that massively disrupt the worldwide domestic leagues.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

https://theathletic.com/5215491/2024/01/20/sadio-mane-saudi-pro-league/

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. These footballers are like politicians. Even though they're severely lacking in IQ they think the rest of us are stupid. 

More likely that the content in article has been skewed to tell a particular story and Mane has had a quote attributed to him.  A few months back i was interviewed in the US press about my companies approach to AI. What ended up being written bore little resemblance to what i said in the interview. But no one knows or cares who I am so i didnt give a sh1t, and my employer was happy just to be in the press.

17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

More likely that the content in article has been skewed to tell a particular story and Mane has had a quote attributed to him.  A few months back i was interviewed in the US press about my companies approach to AI. What ended up being written bore little resemblance to what i said in the interview. But no one knows or cares who I am so i didnt give a sh1t, and my employer was happy just to be in the press.

I don't think this is the case here. Mane's claim regarding the worldwide popularity of the Saudi League is all over the news now. So he needs to come with a statement denying he said these ridiculous things. He has also the option to say he was forced/bribed/paid to defend the league of butchers and violators of the basic human rights. 

Or just admit he has an IQ of -10 and shut his mouth forever. 

• Like 1

Seems like a copy of the NASL the now defunct and first USA Soccer League and fore runner to MLS which was around in the late 60s early 70s when they had the like of Pelé, Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto,  Giorgio Chinaglia, Johan Cruyff, Johan Neeskens, Gerd Müller, Bobby Moore, Eusébio  (wiki)

I’d imagine it’ll take as long as the USA have taken before it’s taken seriously 

Doomed to failure because there's no demand for it. Even countries with huge populations haven't been able to get football leagues off the ground, like China and India. These countries will always prefer PL and LaLiga over their own leagues.

On 20/01/2024 at 20:16, davieG said:

Seems like a copy of the NASL the now defunct and first USA Soccer League and fore runner to MLS which was around in the late 60s early 70s when they had the like of Pelé, Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto,  Giorgio Chinaglia, Johan Cruyff, Johan Neeskens, Gerd Müller, Bobby Moore, Eusébio  (wiki)

I’d imagine it’ll take as long as the USA have taken before it’s taken seriously 

Yeh, but I’d have watched that as a kid if it’d been on TV. The mid to late 70s players and kits were awesome. 

Does anyone give a toss about the players in Saudi?

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

Yeh, but I’d have watched that as a kid if it’d been on TV. The mid to late 70s players and kits were awesome. 

Does anyone give a toss about the players in Saudi?

I don't know I'm not a kid anymore. How many on a global scale watched, wanted to or could have watched the MLS compared to today's global viewing numbers?

The only thing that's giving it any kind of attention is Ronaldo, and he's only keeping it relevant for self promotion purposes.

Other than that, all the big names including Neymar and Benzema have fallen into complete obscurity.

I've said in the past I'm not that bothered if players go to earn the mega millions. It is a career at the end of the day. But more fool them if they, or the Saudi league, expected anything other than what's happening now.

On 20/01/2024 at 15:33, sm1 said:

Doomed to failure because there's no demand for it. Even countries with huge populations haven't been able to get football leagues off the ground, like China and India. These countries will always prefer PL and LaLiga over their own leagues.

We should not make the mistake that this venture is intended for a domestic audience. It's all about boosting their standing on an international stage. Like all of their sports ventures.

Tried it with the J League with Linekar decades ago.

Then China.

Now Saudi...Its all about the $$$$$$....Prats like Hendo running back to Europe after he's made his fortune in a few months.

Hope its doomed for failure.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

We should not make the mistake that this venture is intended for a domestic audience. It's all about boosting their standing on an international stage. Like all of their sports ventures.

I'd say his comment still stands, there's no demand for it. 

5 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I'd say his comment still stands, there's no demand for it. 

i'm not saying he's wrong, i'm only saying that there was never an intention for there to be a demand for it on the domestic level.

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

i'm not saying he's wrong, i'm only saying that there was never an intention for there to be a demand for it on the domestic level.

Very short sighted of them to think mass numbers abroad would want to watch Saudi football played in empty stadiums. 

Shows their lack of understanding of what the sport actually is, a bit like buying Newcastle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Very short sighted of them to think mass numbers abroad would want to watch Saudi football played in empty stadiums. 

Shows their lack of understanding of what the sport actually is, a bit like buying Newcastle

i agree. Yet another example of someone throwing money at something  to 'make it work'

At the moment it might appear to - there's over 130+ nations that have the broadcasting rights to Saudi league games this season. They'll probably soon work out they'll need to do something about the atmosphere at games, even if that's to fake it like we did with the games during Covid... but i have no doubt it will die a death and either go back into its cocoon or just become a graveyard for aging stars..