Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Dyer Felt Suicidal

'Suicidal' Dyer reveals injury heartbreak

dyer_tmarsh.jpg

Newcastle midfielder Kieron Dyer has revealed his frustrating battle against a mystery illness left him feeling 'suicidal' at one stage this season.

The illness has hampered his recovery from a series of injuries, with the England player currently out with a hamstring problem.

Dyer is more upbeat now, but with just three games under his belt this season the illness and injuries have taken their toll.

He said: 'I was suicidal after the West Brom game (on October 30, his last game for the club) when I broke down (injured) again.

'I was at an all-time low. That is when the physio, the manager (Graeme Souness) and my family stepped in and kept supporting me, which got me through. They have been magnificent.'

The 26-year-old, who suffered a minor setback in his recovery last week, hopes to be back playing for Newcastle 'sooner rather than later'.

Kieron, I don't believe you, you lying little sh1t. I would imagine that you've got no f*ing idea what its like to feel suicidal.

You earn £80k a week and despite the fact that this doesn't guarantee you happiness (I'll grant you that) it's fairly well documented that you bragg about your lifestyle, and enjoy throwing your money about. You get through women and cars like they are going out of fashion. Ask anyone in Newcastle who's ever seen you out if you're acting like someone who's suicidal. At no time in your entire life have you felt even a pang of what it's like to be desperate, alone, hungry, seriously ill or afraid. You wouldn't have either the intelligence or the guts to end it all anyway. Don't come out with all this bullsh1t and insult every Newcastle fan who works hard to fund your frankly revolting wage.

Go and tell that fact that you feel suicidal to the people who live in Byker and Wallsend, the heroin addicts, the homeless, those living in fear of their own lives.

You've got a dodgy f*ing hamstring, you ignorant, selfish, arrogant little ****.

I don't believe a word you say, and I can't believe someone at the BBC can actually be arsed to print this ridiculous load of crap.

Kieron Dyer - you are scum.

Kieron, I don't believe you, you lying little sh1t. I would imagine that you've got no f*ing idea what its like to feel suicidal.

You earn £80k a week and despite the fact that this doesn't guarantee you happiness (I'll grant you that) it's fairly well documented that you bragg about your lifestyle, and enjoy throwing your money about. You get through women and cars like they are going out of fashion. Ask anyone in Newcastle who's ever seen you out if you're acting like someone who's suicidal. At no time in your entire life have you felt even a pang of what it's like to be desperate, alone, hungry, seriously ill or afraid. You wouldn't have either the intelligence or the guts to end it all anyway. Don't come out with all this bullsh1t and insult every Newcastle fan who works hard to fund your frankly revolting wage.

Go and tell that fact that you feel suicidal to the people who live in Byker and Wallsend, the heroin addicts, the homeless, those living in fear of their own lives.

You've got a dodgy f*ing hamstring, you ignorant, selfish, arrogant little ****.

I don't believe a word you say, and I can't believe someone at the BBC can actually be arsed to print this ridiculous load of crap.

Funniest post of the year. Absolutely brilliant.

No pussyfooting around, just tell it like it is.

Do they have those "post your comments on this story" pages on the BBC because I think you should.

In the words of Meatloaf

"you took the words right out of my mouth"

Obviously his Autobiography is in all crap bookshops from today :whistle:

I may have gone a bit over the top with the tone of that. I stand by the sentiment though.

If it turns out that Kieron Dyer has experienced any sort of genuine trauma through the last couple of years, or has a history of mental illness, I will eat more humble pie than anyone has ever done before. I wouldn't ever want to be thought of as making fun of, or criticising the genuinely suicidal or mentally ill.

It just I'm not convinced by what he says one little bit.

And did Freddie Shepherd think that topping up his contract by £20k a week would ease the pyschological pressure a bit?

Personally I think the comment was just a hyperbolic one taken out of context. It's not a nice thing to say and not be serious about but it has become a somewhat a figure of speech, as have other less than nice things... I'm sure we all hear people going around saying 'I'm so depressed, I can't go out tonight/missed my favourite tv program/dropped my ice cream'. :unsure:

On the whole I have little sympathy for footballers who complain about their lives, however remember that there are some out there who genuinely are and have been depressed, having money or a nice lifestyle doesn't change that. The first name that springs to my mind is Stan Collymore.

Hmm having suffered from clinical depression myself I think he may be using the word 'depressed' out of context, however, Gazza was a fantastic footballer and on fantastic amounts of cash and yet his mental problems are well publicised. Just because the guy has cash it obviously hasnt brought him happiness.

Personally I think the comment was just a hyperbolic one taken out of context. It's not a nice thing to say and not be serious about but it has become a somewhat a figure of speech, as have other less than nice things... I'm sure we all hear people going around saying 'I'm so depressed, I can't go out tonight/missed my favourite tv program/dropped my ice cream'. :unsure:

On the whole I have little sympathy for footballers who complain about their lives, however remember that there are some out there who genuinely are and have been depressed, having money or a nice lifestyle doesn't change that. The first name that springs to my mind is Stan Collymore.

Hmm having suffered from clinical depression myself I think he may be using the word 'depressed' out of context, however, Gazza was a fantastic footballer and on fantastic amounts of cash and yet his mental problems are well publicised. Just because the guy has cash it obviously hasnt brought him happiness.

The word in question was probably used in the hyperbolic sense by Dyer... which doesn't excuse it one little bit - limited in intelligence, he still should be able to realise the crassness of his comments. The public facts of Dyer's career to date suggests he deserves not one iota of sympathy for his "plight".

The fact that his every misdemeanour has been excused and apologied for by his employers time and time again has done him no favours. He's like a spoilt brat whose parents choose to blame everyone and everything for their son's problems except for themselves and the child. The parents in question are Shepherd (no conscience), Robson (no spine) and Souness (no brain), amongst others.

If Dyer were faced with the private, hyperthetical choice of enjoying:

1. an injury-free career until the age of 38, winning medals and international honours galore, as well as the adulation of the footballing public and critics, only on a wage of £300 a week gross, or...

2. the same stalling, non-achieving career he presently does for £80,000 per week...

...which do we imagine he would take? Perhaps we would do the same? You can't deny the fact that money's good. I would wager Dyer doesn't care a jot for the average fan. So I don't care about him.

All the guff about "Souness and the club rallying round me" is a smokescreen. Shepherd needs you on the pitch to make him money, Souness needs you as his last-ever big job in football is swirling around the plug-hole.

He's a product of the uglier side of football, but he's not a victim of it.

I, too, get the feeling that Dyer's comments weren't meant to be taken at face value, but I'd understand (though I may not agree) reasons that may have led him to panic.

Kieron Dyer is a professional footballer, so he's probably been good at what he does since he was a schoolboy and gotten a lot of attention for it (for all I know it may even be the only this he knows how to do well). The sport has been the biggest thing driving him for his whole life and good performances have earned him a lot of money, prestige, praise, special treatment, attention from females and everything else that goes along with big-time football today.

His injury problems have only gotten worse, and when he went down at the West Brom game, it wouldn't surprise me that he started to think that his career could be over. Suddenly, all the prestige, the money, the lifestyle, etc. would stop pouring in. Football, what he's done his whole life, would end, and there'd be no more Saturdays to look forward to. He might have also thought about all of the embarassing situations he's gotten himself into and his stupid spat about not playing on the right side, and maybe he was a little scared that his legacy would be one more befitting a d*ckhead than a star player.

If that's so, would he have been overreacting? Sure. There's life outside of the game. Does that make him a spoiled brat? Perhaps, but it could also be because his raison d'être (I love typing that phrase) could have disappeared (and I'm sure a lot of us would love to be professional footballers, too). I can play devil's advocate and link reasons for such a response without stretching too far.

All of the above is assuming that Dyer does not suffer from depression and/or a mental or social disorder. If he does, this is a whole other matter. And as for his off-field behavior and lifestyle not suggesting any signs of depression, men are more likely to suffer from clinical depression than women but are much less likely to seek help. Men who hide their depression often try to mask it with more aggressive, "macho," reckless behavior, and in a "manly" career, like professional sports, I doubt Dyer or his peers would be very willing to be open about their problems if they had any. However, I don't know Kieron, and I'm not trying to put two-and-two together... just throwing things out there for the sake of discussion.

I'm with Nationwider on this one. I'm getting sick and tired of players, managers etc constantly whinging. They should try living in the real world. In fact, if I had my way, they would do once they retired from the game.

I'm with Nationwider on this one. I'm getting sick and tired of players, managers etc constantly whinging. They should try living in the real world. In fact, if I had my way, they would do once they retired from the game.

I'm with Lisa and Nationwider.

But it doesn't stop at Dyer... it extends to many many professional footballers.

Those who feel sorry for Levein or de Vries or Kisnorbo... think on.

Archived