Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Fan

Spurs match analysis and ratings

Well I have to admit I thought we were going to be taken to the cleaners when we were playing 4-5-1 and boy was I wrong. You do have to question Levein's judgement to start with though about playing 4-5-1 (4-3-3 my arse) but to be fair he did change it when he realised he had made a mistake. I thought we were quite satisfactory in the first half, but second half we were immense.

Fair play to Levein and the boys, we did pull off a shock and did play well which was more important than the result today. However, it doesn't excuse our league form and if we don't get maximum points against Sheffield Wednesday next week, I will be straight back on the "Levein Out" bandwagon. Coming back from 2 goals down to beat the fourth placed premiership team is just unbelievable and the boys should be praised tonight.

It has now made me a bit more cross about our league position because performances like tonight and against Sheffield United a few weeks back just make you realise that we should be contending in the top 6 if we can play that well. Consistency is what is need and if we can get that, as well as finishing our chances like we did tonight, hopefully we can stay clear of this relegation zone and push up towards the middle of the table.

Ratings:

Douglas 7 - I thought he did well tonight and made some vital saves. He couldn't do anything for the first goal, and he nearly got to the second goal.

Maybury 5 - Was run ragged by Lennon throughout the game, but that maybe because of Hammill not doing his job properly. Should have closed Stalteri down and was partly to blame for that goal.

Stearman 8 - Was excellent tonight and I just hope no Premiership managers were watching tonight's performance because he was unbelievable. Had great composure and did well.

McCarthy 8 - I must admit, I am not the biggest fan of McCarthy but tonight he was excellent.

Johansson 6 - Did well tonight but should have reacted quicker after Keane's shot hit the woodwork

Smith 9 - Bit quiet in the first 35 mins or so when he was on the right, but was amazing when he was put onto the left. A great cross for our first goal.

Hammill 4 - Didn't do anything right tonight, shouldn't have started. When Hammill signed, Levein said he was "one for the future". Well lets keep it that way.

Gudjonsson 6 - Was quite good, not his best performance but by no means his worst.

Williams 7 - Passed it well, well composed, hope he doesn't go anywhere in the transfer window.

Hughes 9 - Helped De Vries out in the first half when he had no support, passed well, tackled well, showed signs of his best form again, probably MOTM, great goal.

De Vries 8 - Had some good chances, tried his very hardest, was much better when Hammond came on to support him, good finish for the winner (although I thought he had stuffed it!)

SUBS:

Hammond 7 - Did quite well, better than usual

Kisnorbo 6 - Not enough time to make an impact, was shocked when Levein brought him on to replace Smith, was expecting Hume if anyone.

WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!

I'm not sure Levein get's any credit for that win.

He started with a stupid formation, then changed after 35 mins to what he should have started with.

The players showed what they can do tonight, but to be honest if you can't play your best against a top 4 side from the Prem, when can you? That is motivation enough.

Personally I think this fantastic win and performance has proved that Levein can't motivate the players against the ordinary teams we play week in week out.

That said, a great win.

Douglas 7

Stearman 9 (Kinda wish he hadn't performed so well on TV-please don't leave us!)

McCarthy 8

Johansson 7

Maybury 6

Smith 8

Hughes 9

Williams 8

Joey 7

Hamill 5

MDV 9 MOTM (Just shades Hughesy for me...so pleased for the big guy)

Subs:

Hammond 8

Kisnorbo 6 (That one pass at the end was a corker, he rolled it 5 yards to another player...brilliant)

I'm being a big extra generous today cos I'm happy...wait ecstatic :)

Douglas - 7

Stearman - 8

McCarthy - 9 - A true CAPTAIN's performance.

Johansson - 8

Maybury - 6 - Struggled with the pace of Lennon to begin with but since the change of formation he was much improved.

Smith - 8

Williams - 8

Gudjonsson - 6

Hamill - 3

Hughes - 8

De Vries - 8

Hammond - 8

Such a shame the team has to be changed again vs Sheffield Wednesday with suspensions. But we've shown tonight, we can beat ANYONE when this team clicks - oh and when the formation is correct :whistle:

Douglas 7 - Did OK, no heartstopping moments fortunately.

Stearman 8 - Solid, composed in possesion and got forward well. This lad is becoming a real player, and quickly

McCarthy 8 - Again solid and marshalled the defence well. Pleased to see him made captain.

Johansson 7 - Considering his lack of first team action at centre back, I thought he did well and was generally in control, save a couple of dodgy passes first half.

Maybury 5 - An abomination first half, better second.

Smith 7.5 - When he takes full backs on he's a real threat, I wish he'd do it more often

Joey 6.5 - A bit ponderous in possession at times, but certainly better than his last couple of performances

Williams 8 - Can't help but feel he's putting himself in the shop window. Good work rate and intelligent distribution

Hughes 8 - Excellent and nice to see him back in form. Top work rate, nice link up play and a sweet strike

Hamill 3 - Who?

MdV 9 (MOTM) - Fantastic, Spurs didn't have a clue how to cope with his physical presence. Some really nice link up play with Elvis as well

Subs

Elvis 8 - Made the difference as he rightly said in the BBC interview. Worked the channels and panicked the Spurs back line

Kisnorbo - Not enough time to rate.

Douglas - 7

Stearman - 8

McCarthy - 9 - A true CAPTAIN's performance.

Johansson - 8

Maybury - 6 - Struggled with the pace of Lennon to begin with but since the change of formation he was much improved.

Smith - 8

Williams - 8

Gudjonsson - 6

Hamill - 3

Hughes - 8

De Vries - 8

Hammond - 8

Such a shame the team has to be changed again vs Sheffield Wednesday with suspensions. But we've shown tonight, we can beat ANYONE when this team clicks - oh and when the formation is correct :whistle:

Is it Joey suspended for the next match? Bring in Kisnorbo for him if it is, and stick to the team when Hamill left...with Hume on the bench, I don't like to leave him on the bench but you can't really argue with Hammond and De Vries after tonight!

Is it Joey suspended for the next match? Bring in Kisnorbo for him if it is, and stick to the team when Hamill left...with Hume on the bench, I don't like to leave him on the bench but you can't really argue with Hammond and De Vries after tonight!

Joey and Smith are suspended. Kisnorbo shouldn't be allowed near our starting 11, but especially in midfield. And Hamill had a shocker for the 30 minutes today. It's a good job we should be able to afford another signing after tonights win :D:D

Douglas 7

Stearman 8

McCarthy 9* (Tremedous!)

Johansson 8 (Superb I thought, that's what he's about, play him in the right position and you'll get the best outta him)

Maybury 7

Hamill 5

Joey 7

Williams 7.5

Hughes 7.5

Smith 7.5

De Vries 8.5 (that's the De Vries we want to see, he was simply sensational and deserved his goal)

Subs:

Hammond 8

Kisnorbo NA

Douglas - 7 Improved from recent weeks class save to deny Keane

Maybury - 6 Restricted after being harshly booked

Stearman - 8 You can see why he is so highly rated

McCarthy - 9 This is what a captain is all about

NEJ - 8 Rose to the Ocassion

Smith - 8 Spurs looked scared of him

Hamill - 4 why did you start??

Hughes - 8 Did tremondously well to help out De Vries

Williams - 7 worked hard, good skill and passing

Gudjonsson - 7 worked hard protected the back four well

De Vries 9 - Excellent his best game of the season so far

Hammond - 8 A goal and pace to scare their defenders

Kisnorbo - 6 slowed the game down.

Douglas - 7 Improved from recent weeks class save to deny Keane

Maybury - 6 Restricted after being harshly booked

Stearman - 8 You can see why he is so highly rated

McCarthy - 9 This is what a captain is all about

NEJ - 8 Rose to the Ocassion

Smith - 8 Spurs looked scared of him

Hamill - 4 why did you start??

Hughes - 8 Did tremondously well to help out De Vries

Williams - 7 worked hard, good skill and passing

Gudjonsson - 7 worked hard protected the back four well

De Vries 9 - Excellent his best game of the season so far

Hammond - 8 A goal and pace to scare their defenders

Kisnorbo - 6 slowed the game down.

Bit harsh to say Kisnorbo slowed the game down. He only touced the ball twice, once to win it in a tackle and the next was a simple pass to smith to set him on a run!

as far as im concerned CL should get no cred for the win! the crowd got behind the players and the players reacted to that and it was that, that won the game, ok CL realised his mistake and changed it, but i do not think he had anything to do with it! just thought id say that i had to let it out lol

Bit harsh to say Kisnorbo slowed the game down. He only touced the ball twice, once to win it in a tackle and the next was a simple pass to smith to set him on a run!

I meant that he slowed it down so we could gain a result.

as far as im concerned CL should get no cred for the win! the crowd got behind the players and the players reacted to that and it was that, that won the game, ok CL realised his mistake and changed it, but i do not think he had anything to do with it! just thought id say that i had to let it out lol

It was a gutsy move by Levein to change it when he did and not wait till half time. This win is down to him as much as it is the players!

It was a gutsy move by Levein to change it when he did and not wait till half time. This win is down to him as much as it is the players!

Bullshit would I give credit to Levein he changed because he had no choice two nil down at home playing 4-5-1 . He would still be playing it now if we had not gone two nil down so quickly.

Douglas - 6,5 - Did what one should expect of him. Couldn't do anything about the first, but didn't look too good for the second goal. He did get out of his goal well though, and his kicking was certainly put to the test all game :P

Maybury - 5 - Lennon won almost every one on one with him and he nearly got himself sent off. Gave away the freekick that led to the first goal and was partly to blame for the second as well. Improved in the second half and kept his discipline.

Johansson - 6 - Didn't look too committed when he didn't at least attempt to stop the second goal, but was well positioned when the crosses came flying in from the right. Gave away a silly freekick in the first half just outside the box that couldve have been very costly.

McCarthy - 7,5 - Was as solid as a rock. Almost gave away a peno when he charged into Jenas, but luckily the ref didn't punish him. Should definately keep the armband for future games.

Stearman - 8,5 - Great performance from the young lad. He's the main reason we played as well as we did in the 1st half, overlapping on the right and popping up in the box to assist Hammond's goal! He did his job defensively as well, although Spurs rarely played down the left. Kept going in the 2nd half before running out of steam in the last 10-15 minutes.

Hammill - 3 - He was nowhere to be seen. In fact, I could probably not tell you what he looks like, as I didn't once get a clear view of him. Sums up his brief appearance well. Didn't offer any cover for Maybury and didn't do anything in the other direction either. Send him back to Scotland...

Joey - 7 - Had a disappointing first half, but improved like everyone else in the second. He worked tirelessly and he made the match-winning assist, which in itself makes it a job well done.

Williams - 7,5 - He was up for this one, he showed that straight from the kickoff when he chased back one of their players and brought him down. Was relatively quiet in the first half, but he was great in the second. Kept things ticking over, hardly misplacing a pass. and he even helped out at the back occasionally.

Hughes - 8 - He worked his socks off and while he didn't look too sharp, he was the one offering the most support to De Vries in the first half. Glad he got a goal, which was sweetly struck. Should maybe have scored at the beginning of the second half, but let's not ask too much of him yet ;)

Smith - 8,5 - I personally feel he was a bit ineffective in the first half. He linked up well with Stearman, but the final product wasn't there. He lost the ball a few times too. But once Hammill went out and he moved to the left he was unstoppable. Great cross for the 1st goal, and worked tirelessly all game. Was obviously up for it and had a stormer of a second half...

De Vries - 9,5 MOTM - Well what can I say. He was immense! He held up the ball ever so well, and he worked his buttocks off as well. He had a magnificent first touch all game, was opportunistic and even a little creative, when he played Hughes through in the 1st half. He won headers, he had good movement, and of course he scored the fairytale winner. Kudos Mark...more of that!!

Subs:

Hammond - 8 - The gamechanging subsitution. It all clicked when he came in, and he duly delivered. He ran and ran and ran and kept the Tottenham defenders under pressure. Linked up well with MDV and when he didn't have many options he always won us a corner or a throw-in. Was at the right place at the right time for the goal. Who needs Fryatt? :thumbup:

Kisnorbo - N/A - only on for a few minutes...

He has to be given some credit. He recognised that the formation wasn't working and changed it early. He could have quite easily brought on Hume and you never know what might have happened? Also how come CL gets all the stick when we lose and the players don't as much but when we win it's all about the players?

Bullshit would I give credit to Levein he changed because he had no choice two nil down at home playing 4-5-1 . He would still be playing it now if we had not gone two nil down so quickly.

I do believe we were only 1-0 down when he made the change. I think that was the case wasn't it. The second goal came about after the change

We were far from catastrophic when we played 4-5-1... But starting with Hammill was a mistake, and he didn't waste much time to sub him, which is fair play. I feel some people will slate Levein regardless of whether he does something good. Someone mentioned earlier that he couldn't motivate players, but they seemed well up for it all game, and the way they came out at the start of the second half, you'd have thought they would be shot if they didn't score! I'm all ears when it comes to criticism of Levein, he has deserved it, but tonight he deserves credit just like the players and the fans do!

well i cant beleive we won, i cant stop smiling, i thought we played sooooo well tonight

anyway ratings here we go:

douglas: 7- thought he played well tonight did some good and not so good, still needs to work on his kicking

maybury:7- thought he did well, especially in first half when against such a fast player

mcarthy: 9* - excellent as captain, got really stuck in and looked v passionate

nissa:7- didnt really notice him much but the things he did, he did well

stearman:9- toss up between him and mcarthy for man of the match, he gets better every game, thought he played a blinder tonight

hamill:4- imo shouldnt of even started

joey:8- some dodgy things but got stuck in well as usual

williams: 8 excellent game

hughes:8 - excellent game, think the best i have seen him play

smith:8- fab

de vries:8 ok why cant he play like that usually, thought he held the ball up well tonight, good goal aswell

subs:

hammond:8 changed the game when he came on, thought he had a gr8 game, nice to see him score aswell!!

kisnorbo:5 not sure why he bought him on for smith, didnt really notice him

kisnorbo:5 not sure why he bought him on for smith, didnt really notice him

he was nackered

douglas 7, shaky start, could do noting bout either goal (too much power on the 2nd)

stearman 8, good going forward never really put a foot wrong

paddy mac 8, rose to his captincy, won most headers

nils 7, looked SO much better at cb its unreal

maybury 7, did another solid job

joey 6, did well but a bit quiet, probably needs that 2 game rest

williams 7, excerlant passing, good composure and not affraid to shoot

hughes 7, good strike for the goal, solid defensively, always got forward.

hammil 1, who??

smith 8, constant thret set up the 1st and 2nd goals

MdV 9, MotM strong, confident total package today

subs

hammond 8, totally changed the game, socred the important 1st goal

kis, not on long enough

douglas -8- easily his best performance, made some good saves.

stearman -7- seen better, but a solid game. Carm and composure are understatements for him, can defend bloody well too.

macarthy -9- outstanding, fought for everything, showed brave commitment MAN OF THE MATCH

johanson -7- did well, showed fight, earnt a place for SW

maybury -8- was unlucky to get booked, and then fouled lennon, but showed extreme composure after that, one of very few leaders we have.

joey -8- should`ve been booked for pulling, but a terrific performance, the best ive ever seen him play. We saw leadership qualities from him tonight

williams -7- showed some good play, but he still drifted in n out, must get involved more.

hughes -8- showed terrific desire to get back from an attack to stop a goal bound shot. Great strike, deserved the deflection.

smith -8- another teriffic performance, his defensive abilities as a winger are breath taking, gave us much hope tonight, lead many attack.

hamill -6- did ok for half an hour or so.

mark de vries -8.5- was so close to being MOM. Took his goal brilliantly, could`ve scored more, and lead the attack very well, best ive seen him play.

elvis -8- sparked a desire to attack and get goals, pace stunned spurs, and in the right place at the right time to score.

kisnorbo -4- didnt have time to do owt

levein -8- realised that a 4-5-1 wasnt doing enough, reverted back to a 4-4-2, and it worked. It was a relief to see the guy celebrate his job.

city fans -8- a strange performance rating you might think, but never did i hear a moan with more than 2 decibells, we were up for it despite our recent form. The banners "I believe in miracles" and "foxes never quite", quite frankly summed up how we need to feel right now. Miracles happen, oh yes they do, and foxes never quite, lets keep that belief going comrades!!

Archived