Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Fan

Spurs match analysis and ratings

douglas -8- easily his best performance, made some good saves.

stearman -7- seen better, but a solid game. Carm and composure are understatements for him, can defend bloody well too.

macarthy -9- outstanding, fought for everything, showed brave commitment MAN OF THE MATCH

johanson -7- did well, showed fight, earnt a place for SW

maybury -8- was unlucky to get booked, and then fouled lennon, but showed extreme composure after that, one of very few leaders we have.

joey -8- should`ve been booked for pulling, but a terrific performance, the best ive ever seen him play. We saw leadership qualities from him tonight

williams -7- showed some good play, but he still drifted in n out, must get involved more.

hughes -8- showed terrific desire to get back from an attack to stop a goal bound shot. Great strike, deserved the deflection.

smith -8- another teriffic performance, his defensive abilities as a winger are breath taking, gave us much hope tonight, lead many attack.

hamill -6- did ok for half an hour or so.

mark de vries -8.5- was so close to being MOM. Took his goal brilliantly, could`ve scored more, and lead the attack very well, best ive seen him play.

elvis -8- sparked a desire to attack and get goals, pace stunned spurs, and in the right place at the right time to score.

kisnorbo -4- didnt have time to do owt

levein -8- realised that a 4-5-1 wasnt doing enough, reverted back to a 4-4-2, and it worked. It was a relief to see the guy celebrate his job.

city fans -8- a strange performance rating you might think, but never did i hear a moan with more than 2 decibells, we were up for it despite our recent form. The banners "I believe in miracles" and "foxes never quite", quite frankly summed up how we need to feel right now. Miracles happen, oh yes they do, and foxes never quite, lets keep that belief going comrades!!

Interesting assesment...Seems like we watched marginally different games :D

Douglas - 7

Stearman - 8

McCarthy - 7

Johansson - 7

Maybury - 6

Smith - 7

Williams - 7

Gudjonsson - 6

Hamill - 4

Hughes - 7

De Vries - 8

Hammond - 7

Kisnorbo - who the hell cares? What a bizarre coincidence we won without him in the starting line-up. No doubt he'll be back in the fold now Joey's off on his hols. <_<

I'm nearly tempted to change my opinion of Williams. I think I'll wait and see whether he fancies it on a cold Saturday in Sheffield without the TV cameras on him before I do.

Douglas - 7 - No chance with goals but was generally solid other than that, wish he could kick like Robinson though :(

Stearman - 8 - Cool and calm on the ball with some good passing, great assist for Elvis' goal and an all round good display.

McCarthy - 8 - Captains game, seemed to win everything in challenges - brilliant.

Johansson - 8 - Very solid game, but for a couple of bad passes. Some very good near post cross blocks in the second half.

Maybury - 6 - Lennon gave him a torrid time and he couldn't handle it in the first half at all, thought he'd get sent off eventually after his booking. Recovered well in the second half though.

Smith - 8 - Took the game to them well, great pace and touch. Scares full backs in the same way Lennon did for them.

Hughes - 8 - Worked his arse off and played some good balls, great shot for his goal too albeit deflected.

Gudjonsson - 7 - Same consistency, not as noticeble going forward due to playing the anchor role, but was still excellent.

Williams - 7 - Improved so much since returning to the side, effort has gone up a lot. His passing and pace in midfield is always good, can be a very good player for us.

Hamill - 5 - Didn't really do owt, great decision to bring him off.

de Vries - 9 - Fantastic. Held up the ball so well, about all of our moves went through him and he made some wonderful lay offs and held people off very well. Onside for the winner and took it very well. de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh de Vrieseh (to the 'easeh' chant' :D )

Subs:

Hammond - 8 - Great substitution, ran a lot and brought others into the game well, got a goal just at the right time.

Kisnorbo - Kalac esque sub :D

Stearman 8 - Was excellent tonight and I just hope no Premiership managers were watching tonight's performance because he was unbelievable. Had great composure and did well.

Martin Jol????

PS - Not taking the píss - Just thought that was an amusing comment

You started this thread and your assesment is so close to my own that I don't even need to make a list of my ratings :thumbup:

Well, it was a good change, and theres no point in rattling on about Levein Out ect anymore, because thats defunct, they have given him money to spend in the transfer window thus meaning he's staying here, for the time being anyway. So lets continue to get behind the lads. Let me state whilst I still have lost my faith in Levein he showed good tactical awareness last night with the change, with ultimately changed the running of the game. He's not going, he's showed what he's capable of doing, lets get behind the lads.

With that out the way. The performance was fantastic from the lads last night, we never stopped believing that we could go and snatch a big scalp from the game. There was great fire and determination from the lads, in particular MDV, who I thought was fantastic in holding the ball up and winning the knocks, definatly an influence in the final score.

UP THE CITY!!!!!!!!! :banana::bounce::banana::bounce::banana::bounce::banana::bounce:

Bullshit would I give credit to Levein he changed because he had no choice two nil down at home playing 4-5-1 . He would still be playing it now if we had not gone two nil down so quickly.

If you went to the match you'd have noticed Hammond came on at 0-1. Hamill was shockingly poor and Levein had the sense to make the change in player and formation.Full credit to the manager.

Hey Guys

Wish I could have been there. My neigbours must think I am absolutly bonkers, stupid, have a screw loose etc etc Shouted come on quite loudly for LCFC first goal at about 2.45am in the morning (Perth Time) a lot louder for the equaliser and jumped and shouted so high and loud on the third I knocked two chairs over making a huge noise (for that time in the morning) in the block of units I live in. I dont give a hoot!

Lets hope this is the "Spur" we need to get us going in the leauge.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

MadMick

PS My voice is not the best today............................................................................................ :thumbup:

as far as im concerned CL should get no cred for the win! the crowd got behind the players and the players reacted to that and it was that, that won the game, ok CL realised his mistake and changed it, but i do not think he had anything to do with it! just thought id say that i had to let it out lol

If you can't give him credit when things go well don't slag him off when things go badly.

I'm not sure Levein get's any credit for that win.

He started with a stupid formation, then changed after 35 mins to what he should have started with.

The players showed what they can do tonight, but to be honest if you can't play your best against a top 4 side from the Prem, when can you? That is motivation enough.

Personally I think this fantastic win and performance has proved that Levein can't motivate the players against the ordinary teams we play week in week out.

That said, a great win.

Fair point.

Although I think credit does have to go to Levein for making the correct changes when we were behind.

The change to a more attacking formation and replacing the frankly woeful Hamill were certainly the right changes.

As has already been said, Hughes looked a lot better last night and lets hope that Williams stays.

If Levein is responsible when we lose then it's only right he takes the plaudits when we win. For 70 mins of that game the performance was top notch. For 20 mins we showed why we are so low in the league. Let's hope that this isn't another false dawn. Best sight of the night for me was Craig Levein actually smiling.

If Levein is responsible when we lose then it's only right he takes the plaudits when we win. For 70 mins of that game the performance was top notch. For 20 mins we showed why we are so low in the league. Let's hope that this isn't another false dawn. Best sight of the night for me was Craig Levein actually smiling.

I agree, he deserves all the credit!! This game was a one off, we now return to our normal bread and butter, this is where Levien has to get the same performances out of the players.

But I must make a point it is alot easier getting players motivated for a big televised clash, the next game will be a judgement of Leviens motivational skills

The important thing is that Levein takes something from the game and learns something about his squad of players.

4-5-1 just doesn't suit us at all.

Do you not think we played well for the first 20minutes then? I thought we bossed the game up until their goal and we were playing 4-5-1. The problem was Hammil more than anything for me. We may as well have played with 10 men as Hamill was that shocking.

Do you not think we played well for the first 20minutes then? I thought we bossed the game up until their goal and we were playing 4-5-1. The problem was Hammil more than anything for me. We may as well have played with 10 men as Hamill was that shocking.

Hammill just didn't get in the game at all did he?

I completely forgot he was playing until he gave the ball away about 4 times in about 5 minutes.

He was part of the reason that Maybury had such a torrid time early on with Lennon, Hammill just wasn't up to what he was being asked to do.

It's not that we played awfully when we were playing 4-5-1.. I just don't think that it is to our strengths.

Hammill just didn't get in the game at all did he?

I completely forgot he was playing until he gave the ball away about 4 times in about 5 minutes.

He was part of the reason that Maybury had such a torrid time early on with Lennon, Hammill just wasn't up to what he was being asked to do.

It's not that we played awfully when we were playing 4-5-1.. I just don't think that it is to our strengths.

I think a major factor is that for once we played what is in my opinion our best back four and our best four in midfield (once Hammil was off). I'm not sure how many times that team has played this season but i'd guess not many.

Have to say, I agree with pretty much everybody's ratings.

De Vries was immense last night and made Dawson and Gardner look stupid. I just wish he could he shoot and am not afraid to admit that I thought he would miss that chance at the end. I believe it was his first shot on target.

I will also give a lot of credit to Elvis. I'm not his biggest fan but last night I coud not fault him for his performance.

Hughes, Williams, Joey & Smith were excellent in midfield. I was particularly impressed with Williams. Hughes and Smith obviously did well.

At the back, McCarthy & Stearman were tremendous and Nils didn't look out of place. Maybury was outclassed in the first half, but in the 2nd half coped ok.

Hamill, yes, he was rubbish. Maybe football is just not his calling.

A great win yes, but we've got a bigger game than that on Saturday. Now would be a good time to record a back-to-back win.

You can slate Levein all you like, but the man has given us some fantastic results in the cup and although that means **** all compared to the league form, I certainly cherish the moments of euphoria i've felt in the games against Reading, Charlton and Spurs.

The man obviously has his faults, but he also has some very good attributes as a manager and although this could be a flash in the pan i'd love it, love it if he turned it around. He might be boring and he might lack the nouse to motivate players but he's piecing togetehr a very good young team that weren't fazed by one of the best young teams in the country. Stearman, Hughes, Williams and de Vries were awesome as were the rest of them (bar Hamill, moron).

If der, der, der, der............Matty Fryatt was watching I hope that clinches the move to Leicester as he's another piece of the jigsaw.

Lots of lessons should be learned from last night, fans, coaching staff and players alike.

Douglas 7 - Made a class reflex save from Keane and was unlucky not to save Stalteri's ripper.

Stearman 9 - Oh shit, watch out for the vultures. So much natural talent and composure, I wouldn't be surprised if Martin Jol wants him. Got forward well and defended resolutely, no nonsense with a touch of skill and finesse. Perfect.

McCarthy 8 - Captain marvel, i've been calling out for Paddy top be given the armband and he followed it up with a class display and didn't give Rasiak a kick all game.

Johansson 7 - Similar to McCarthy, did his job well and made some heroic clearances. Some of his distribution was poor in the first half but second half he was flying.

Maybury 6 - Was given a horrible task of keeping Lennon quiet. First half he was all over the place, second half he pretty much had Lennon sussed and defended well. Still not playing anywhere near as good as last season.

Smith 7 - First half he was pretty quiet but provided the cross for the first goal, second half he was alot more lively and showed why he's rated so highly. I wish he was our player so badly. Had a hand in the equaliser aswell, although it was a very poor flighted corner!

Williams 8 - Master class in passing and kept things ticking over instead of hoofing it. Also seemed to make our other midfielders look to pass instead of hoofing and that's what we needed to do. I think Williams has been first class for about 4 or 5 games now and let's hope he doesn't vanish from the teamsheet again. Cheers Gazza.

Gudjonsson 7 - Back to his best and his assist for de Vries's goal was sublime. Never stopped battling and Carrick didn't fancy th challenge in the closing stages. Please stay Joey.

Hughes 9 - It's taken 8 months to see Hughes back to his best but it was worth waiting for. Still got more in his locker, but what fantastic technique to keep that shot low and on target. Caused Spurs allsorts of problems breaking forward.

Hamill 3 - Showed exactly why he's rated so poorly. Awful.

de Vries 9* - Epitomises everything that's currently wrong and right at this club. He did it against Charlton last season aswell, get's motivated for the big games but against lesser opposition he looks off form. Played the perfect game last night and I was surpised how inept the Spurs defenders were at handling him. He was orchestrating everything we did in front of goal and his finish was delicate and beautiful. Well done that man.

Subs:

Elvis 8 - Changed the game. Held the ball up well, beat players, passed well, finished well. Keep it up.

Kisnorbo 6 - Don't rate him that much but booing him when he came on was disgusting. Made a few decent passes but not on long enough to gauge how well he would have done.

Sunday, bloody sunday!

I agree, he deserves all the credit!! This game was a one off, we now return to our normal bread and butter, this is where Levien has to get the same performances out of the players.

But I must make a point it is alot easier getting players motivated for a big televised clash, the next game will be a judgement of Leviens motivational skills

Certainly agree there Singh. My concern , and I hope I'm wrong, is that they did not look motivated until the second half. They allowed Tottenham the freedom of the park early on. For some inexplicable reason it looked like self-motivation rather than manager inspired.

Douglas 7 - Couldn't really fault the big chap

Stearman 7.5 - Looked very composed on the ball and nullified Brown down the left

Maybury 5.5 - Summed it up well on the TV, looked like a nervous wreck after his booking and understandably so

McCarthy 8 - Another sterling performance from Paddy, I reckon he could mature into a class act for the club

Johansson 8 - Thought he was just as good as McCarthy, looked so much more comfortable in the middle

Hughes 8.5 - Along with Williams, provided a threatening midfield, should be played more in the league

Williams 8 - Slotted in and did his job very effectively alongside Hughes

Gudjonsson 7 - Excellent pass for the winner and worked tirelessly again in midfield

Smith 7.5 - Sometimes overdid it but still caused them problems with his direct running

Hamill 5.5 - Very ineffective, good tactical change from Levein in the first half

De Vries 9 - Best performance in a Leicester shirt, worked incredibly hard, won everything that came to him in the air and credit to the ref for letting his battle with the centre backs go on without blowing up every 2 minutes

Subs:

Hammond 7.5 - Made a noticeable difference when he came on and played better than his normal self

Kisnorbo N/A - Shocked at the fans who decided to boo him when he came on

Ratings are pretty similar to everyone else's and definatly agree that it looks like our best team with possibly changes up front but for last night it couldn't have been stronger with De Vries playing that well.

Only concerns are :

a) Stearman being watched by so many people because he was fantastic!!!

b) Maybury didn't look very comfortable at left back

c) Gareth Williams in the first half was playing up to the camera's a bit too much. Second half he put in the hard work though.

Real test for CL now is how to motivate them for the league.

Interestingly I think we have a team that is more suited to premiership football then Championship. These young hungry players want to prove themselves and be watched by the best week in week out and it kind of shows. Also the skills of Williams and Hughes especially but a few others as well are more suited to the premiership which is not as physical and there is more chance to pass it around. Having said all that the only way to play in the premiership is to prove themselves here first!

Douglas 6 Shouls have doen better for the seocnd goal but could have done without beign abused for just about eveyrthing that went wrong by people around me. It's not Rabs fault your pie isn't warm enough mate.

Stearman 9 Showed that he is Premiership class.

McCarthy 8 Real top peformance, great last ditch tackle directly after we got the leveller.

Johanson 7 Good solid performance, so much better int he middle than on th left.

Maybury 4 Had a tough task against lennon and din't do it very well.

Smith 7 Made the first goal but had an average game by his very high standards

Hughes 9 Showed the quality and intelligence that we all know he has. If he gets some games behind him he will be a top championship player.

Williams 8 Classy performance by the best passer in the side, I think he has earnt a place int he first team now.

Joey 7 Better than recent weeks and good pass for the winner.

Hamill 5 Not really on long enough to make an impression. He doesn't seem to have many strings to his bow..

De Vries 9 His best game for Leicester, completely dominated Gardner and played like the player Levein has so much belief in.

**********SUBS************

Hammond 7 Meant that De Vries had soembody to flick the ball on to and gave the side more balance. Nice to see him geta poachers goal.

Kisnorbo 6 Bringing him on was the right thing to do, Smith was knackered and does nto track back enough.

Archived