Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Gary McAllister

As usual, you insult people rather than debate reasonably. McCallister was at Coventry 18 months. approximately the same time as Levein. You can take a snapshot after 12 months of those 18 if it makes you feel better. But when he left the ship they were stabilised and ready for the promotion push so admirably taken on by Eric Black.

A couple of wins and we would be in the same position. IF that happened and it is a big IF... Would you say that Levein had stabilised us and we were ready for the promotion push??

The Cov fans I know certainly didn't see it that way.

Tell me exactly how McCallister was responsible for reducing the debt from £60 million to £23 million? Did he unearth some talented players and then sell them for massive transfer fee's? McCallister had a fairly decent squad of players when he was manager and couldn't get them higher than about 20th in the league, a similar trait to our current manager don;t you think?

People who are making excuses for McCallister should perhaps do the same with Levein? I guarantee that if McCallister did become manager all the sympathetic posts on here about the shit he faced at Coventry would soon be forgotten if his results were the same here as they were when he was at Coventry.

We must be getting desperate.

I didn't say he was responsible for reducing the debt, just working under those conditions.

A couple of wins and we would be in the same position. IF that happened and it is a big IF... Would you say that Levein had stabilised us and we were ready for the promotion push??

The Cov fans I know certainly didn't see it that way.

Only if we ended up with a promotion push, which Coventry did. Maybe the Cov fans you know might revise their opinin of him given what has happened since.

As usual, you insult people rather than debate reasonably. McCallister was at Coventry 18 months. approximately the same time as Levein. You can take a snapshot after 12 months of those 18 if it makes you feel better. But when he left the ship they were stabilised and ready for the promotion push so admirably taken on by Eric Black.

So why are you not pushing for Black to be appointed instead of Mcallister?? :rolleyes:

So why are you not pushing for Black to be appointed instead of Mcallister?? :rolleyes:

I'm not pushing for McCallister to be appointed. It's just that I find it annoying how some people put prejudice before facts. Eric Black......that's a good call.....where is he?

I'm not pushing for McCallister to be appointed. It's just that I find it annoying how some people put prejudice before facts. Eric Black......that's a good call.....where is he?

Seriously, i don't know but i wouldn't be unhappy with him. Has anyone got his Stats???

Tell me exactly how McCallister was responsible for reducing the debt from £60 million to £23 million? Did he unearth some talented players and then sell them for massive transfer fee's? McCallister had a fairly decent squad of players when he was manager and couldn't get them higher than about 20th in the league, a similar trait to our current manager don;t you think?

People who are making excuses for McCallister should perhaps do the same with Levein? I guarantee that if McCallister did become manager all the sympathetic posts on here about the shit he faced at Coventry would soon be forgotten if his results were the same here as they were when he was at Coventry.

We must be getting desperate.

If Leicester are seriously considering McAllister as manager they should think again.

Charisma, personality, evidence that a guy can put a team together which makes a statement and sparkles. Someone who communicates. Someone who brings the best out of everyone be it the moody new superstar, the nervous first day apprentice or the guy who carries the kit. That's what I look for in a manager. Not a recycled footballer.

If Leicester are seriously considering McAllister as manager they should think again.

Charisma, personality, evidence that a guy can put a team together which makes a statement and sparkles. Someone who communicates. Someone who brings the best out of everyone be it the moody new superstar, the nervous first day apprentice or the guy who carries the kit. That's what I look for in a manager. Not a recycled footballer.

Billy Davies at Preston would be my choice, but it's probably very unrealistic. The only way we might get him is because we are a bigger club than Preston (he was close to going to Derby) and we also have 2 strikers he was desperate to sign.

Only if we ended up with a promotion push, which Coventry did. Maybe the Cov fans you know might revise their opinin of him given what has happened since.

They are not sad about GM leaving they are sad that Black got stabbed in the back when they appointed Peter Reid instead of him. Whatever happened since has more to do with black going than GM.

If I have heard correctly (and my sincere apologies if I am wrong), Gary Mac very sadly finally lost his wife to the 'Big C' before Christmas. Now he might well not want to consider getting back to full time employment at the present - but, as many say, he COULD need work to start afresh and live life again. Manager at City could be the chance for him - and for us !

Gary Mac at the helm, with a reliable assistant (such as Eric Black, who sorted at those Sky Blue Whingers with him - and after him) could be an ideal solution for us - IF he is ready ?

I maintain he DID do a good job at Cov - and, with Eric Black, sorted things out, only for Peter Reid and a certain M Adams, to cock up

I'm pretty sure that Gary's wife is fit and well. I know her brother pretty well and as far as I know everything is fine. If I hear anything else I'll post here to let you know.

I'm pretty sure that Gary's wife is fit and well. I know her brother pretty well and as far as I know everything is fine. If I hear anything else I'll post here to let you know.

It was in a newspaper than she had lost the battle??!!? The Scotsman I believe.

You are quite right.

I've never understood why people insist on putting "club legends" names up for the manager.

Just because your a good player it doesn't mean your a good manager. A few obvious examples are Ruud Gullet, Graeme Souness, Kevin Keegan, Tony Cottee.

The best manager is a people person.

A person that is full of charisma, and understands the use and need of tactical systems.

A person who assess the worst of situations and look for the positives.

A person who doesn't have club allegiances and simple plays the existing club players because of reputation.

Maybe a non football person is the best person for the job? I do understand why Clive Woodward is a Southampton. He is an asset to them.

On another thought, can a female actually be a named manager of a club? I don't see why not, I just don't think its ever happened.

It was in a newspaper than she had lost the battle??!!? The Scotsman I believe.

See the last paragraph...

http://sport.scotsman.com/football_english.cfm?id=31382006

O'Neill has been out of football since leaving Celtic to help care for his sick wife Geraldine. He lives in the South and is understood to have taken a keen interest in the fortunes of his former club, which is now struggling to retain its position in the Coca Cola Championship. McAllister also took a break from football to care for his wife, who lost her battle with cancer shortly before Christmas.

Maybe they got it wrong, other news articles say that his wife was fighting against breast cancer but none mention that she lost that battle.

You are quite right.

I've never understood why people insist on putting "club legends" names up for the manager.

Just because your a good player it doesn't mean your a good manager. A few obvious examples are Ruud Gullet, Graeme Souness, Kevin Keegan, Tony Cottee.

The best manager is a people person.

A person that is full of charisma, and understands the use and need of tactical systems.

A person who assess the worst of situations and look for the positives.

A person who doesn't have club allegiances and simple plays the existing club players because of reputation.

Maybe a non football person is the best person for the job? I do understand why Clive Woodward is a Southampton. He is an asset to them.

On another thought, can a female actually be a named manager of a club? I don't see why not, I just don't think its ever happened.

Bl***y hell Sly. Half the best managers in the world were good players. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!!!

Bl***y hell Sly. Half the best managers in the world were good players. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!!!

Yes, but the point he was making (which I think you well know) is that having been a good player is not, in itself, qualification for being a good manager.

Yes you are correct.... but the team he is managing is also considerably poorer!!! They are the same standard as the other teams in the league he is managing for goodness sake.

Your point may have some validity if he was managing say Rangers or Celtic as they are premier league size clubs spending premier league money in a league thats about the size of Division one in this country.

You are right it's as I said earlier relative, but you have to admit this league has more strength and depth then any Scottish league!

Only Rangers and Celtic and maybe Hibs could compete with Hearts when CL was in charge, haven't really looked at his time at Cowdenbeath so couldn't comment!

Not strictly true.

Alex Ferguson

Arsene Wenger

Jose Murinho

Rafa Benitez

Okay so they were/could of been decent players.

How many great managers can you name that were great players?

I also think its very unfair to call Keegan a poor manager. He did a very good job at Newcastle.

Okay so Keegan wasn't the best example I gave. He didn't do a bad job at Fulhum either.

He was a terrible England manager though!!! :mad:

Archived