Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shum

Graydon Joins Coaching Staff

Former Walsall and Bristol Rovers manager Ray Graydon has today joined the Leicester City coaching staff.

Manager Rob Kelly and goalkeeping coach Mike Stowell have been in charge of first team affairs since the departure of Craig Levein last month.

And Kelly has taken the opportunity to bring an experienced head on board to help the Foxes in their battle to beat the drop.

He said: "I know Ray and he comes here with a good reputation and has a lot of respect.

"He has worked as a manager and a first team coach and has a great knowledge of the game.

"Jon Rudkin and Steve Beaglehole from the Academy have been helping us out, but that has been taking them away from their roles at the club so it was important that we brought someone else in to help us out.

"We are all looking forward to working with Ray and I am sure he will be a big help to us."

Graydon, 58, made his name as a player with Aston Villa in the 1970s and took up his first league managerial post at the Bescott Stadium in 1998. He was widely attributed for transforming the Saddlers, winning promotion to the then Division One during his first season in charge.

After a four-year spell at Walsall Graydon left before taking over the reins at Bristol Rovers until January 2004.

During his career he has coached at Oxford, Watford, Southampton, QPR, Port Vale and Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua SVA.

Linkage

0,,10274~2851328,00.jpg

WALSALL REJECTS, WALSALL REJECTS, HELLO. HELLO :)

You've got one of the best coaches around in Graydon. You'll notice the improvements in weeks.

I can't believe you've never heard of him Ric. Doesn't anyone take an interest in other clubs but their own? ;)

He is the miracle man that took over our team tipped for relegation with not enough players signed to fill a squad and got us promoted automatically behind Fulham when that division was the strongest, possibly even ever.

We finished in front of Man City, Reading, Preston, Burnley, Gillingham, Stoke etc etc, all of whom were very strong.

We battled in the 1st division after spending no money whatsoever and were still in with a chance of staying up on the last day. Unfortunately we lost at Ipswich while WBA beat Charlton to stay up instead of us. Then next season he worked the magic again and got us promoted through the play offs beating money bags Reading at Cardiff.

Unfortunately as manager he was too afraid of the 1st division and we were heading for relegation which is when Colin Lee took over.

WALSALL REJECTS, WALSALL REJECTS, HELLO. HELLO :)

You've got one of the best coaches around in Graydon. You'll notice the improvements in weeks.

I can't believe you've never heard of him Ric. Doesn't anyone take an interest in other clubs but their own? ;)

He is the miracle man that took over our team tipped for relegation with not enough players signed to fill a squad and got us promoted automatically behind Fulham when that division was the strongest, possibly even ever.

We finished in front of Man City, Reading, Preston, Burnley, Gillingham, Stoke etc etc, all of whom were very strong.

We battled in the 1st division after spending no money whatsoever and were still in with a chance of staying up on the last day. Unfortunately we lost at Ipswich while WBA beat Charlton to stay up instead of us. Then next season he worked the magic again and got us promoted through the play offs beating money bags Reading at Cardiff.

Unfortunately as manager he was too afraid of the 1st division and we were heading for relegation which is when Colin Lee took over.

I'm not sure why i've never heard of him because there isn't alot about football I don't know but his name escapes me for some reason. He sounds just what we need though and i'm looking forward to seeing his presence felt.

Intersting! Never actually heard of him, but he sounds like he knows a few things. Welcome aboard Ray Von!!!!!

:o

Suprised at that RF, you usually know most things regarding the game.

Top coach and did a excellent job at Walsall, he will be an excellent addition to the training ground and will hopefully be able to put and arm round Kelly and Stowell and guide them when they experience their first blip.

:o

Suprised at that RF, you usually know most things regarding the game.

Top coach and did a excellent job at Walsall, he will be an excellent addition to the training ground and will hopefully be able to put and arm round Kelly and Stowell and guide them when they experience their first blip.

I've just seen a picture of him and he does ring a bell but the name doesn't! Must be one of those people who just gets on with his business quietly and effectively, good enough for me! Sounds just what we need, we don't want someone who might take the limelight away from our in-experienced manager as that might cause a rift but this sounds a shrewd set-up.

I've just seen a picture of him and he does ring a bell but the name doesn't! Must be one of those people who just gets on with his business quietly and effectively, good enough for me! Sounds just what we need, we don't want someone who might take the limelight away from our in-experienced manager as that might cause a rift but this sounds a shrewd set-up.

young whippersnapper! thats why! :)

I'm not sure why i've never heard of him because there isn't alot about football I don't know but his name escapes me for some reason. He sounds just what we need though and i'm looking forward to seeing his presence felt.

Who plays up front for Corenthians? :D

Graydon Speaks:

Third Time Lucky For Graydon

0,,10274~2852001,00.jpg

Ray Graydon has finally arrived in Leicester - at the third time of asking!

Manager Rob Kelly confirmed on Monday that the former Walsall boss had been brought to the club in a coaching capacity.

And following his appointment, Graydon confirmed that it wasn't the first opportunity he had received to hook up with the Foxes.

He said: "I'm absolutely delighted to be here. Rob called me and asked me if I would be interested in coming to Leicester to help out and I jumped at the chance.

"I have actually been asked to come to Leicester three times now, and I have finally made it here at the third time of asking.

"The first time was when Frank McLintock took over as manager. I was going to be his first signing. But I ended up going to Coventry before moving to the States and then to Oxford.

"I was later asked by Micky Adams to come over and help during his time in charge here. But I had just booked a winter holiday for my wife for the first time in 36 years, so I had to turn it down!

"I am not a young coach anymore, but I am just as enthusiastic as I was when I was 30."

Graydon joins City following a stint as a coach in China - which he confirmed was something of an eye opener.

He added: "I got a call from Howard Wilkinson and I ended up spending three months in China with Shanghai Shenhua. I was out in Japan in the first week looking at the opposition who we were set to face in the Asia Cup. It was certainly an interesting time for me.

"Since then I have been working as a regional representative for the LMA and I went around the clubs speaking to around 20 league managers in total. I enjoyed that very much."

And the 58-year-old former Bristol Rovers and Walsall chief confirmed that he would be very much a team player in his new role.

He said: "We have got some really tough games left to play, but the results have been fantastic since Rob took over. He has grabbed his chance and the players have responded.

"I have watched the videos and I was at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday. It is obvious to everyone that there is a fantastic spirit here.

"I am here to work with Rob and Mike and I certainly won't be standing on anybody's toes. I don't have an ego and I am not a big time Charlie. I want to help.

"I have got some experience and I will do anything I can to help Leicester to remain in this league next season."

He says all the right things - he's here to help Rob/Mike, not control them :thumbup:

He seems to know what's happened here lately, so he's obviously done a little homework.

All the best Ray :thumbup:

I suppose now that there's some experience on board, there's no need to follow up with others' suggestions - that we hire somebody to do a Director of Football type role, in the event that Rob/Mike remain in charge beyond the end of the season. Ray must know a thing or two about transfer dealings, which will be great value to Rob. They've nailed two birds with one stone with this appointment ;)

As i've said all along who needs a DOF on £100K a year, there's plenty of old pros/managers out there who will be only too happy to be involved in footy for just a few quid a week. Well done Rob another smart move. :thumbup:

Archived