Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
john_lcfc

Arse v Juve

Everyone in the Arsenal team impressed em tonight, exceot Lehmann 'cos he had bob all to do.

The players that stood out that little bit more for me were Eboue, Flamini and Fabregas who is awesome by the way.

That Camorenesi (SP) was looking for that red card all night and what he did when he was walking off the pitch was very silly may i just add.

Magnificent performance from Arsenal - outclassed the runaway leaders in every department. Truly awesome displays by Fabregas, Toure, and Eboue.

Who said you need wingers to be successful? ;)

They played really well. To be honest, they should just offer Henry £150k a week to stay and have done with it. I can't think of a Premiership player I'd rather have in my team (including Rooney).

The big talking point of the night though - Gaby Logan: looking a bit goth?

Magnificent performance from Arsenal - outclassed the runaway leaders in every department. Truly awesome displays by Fabregas, Toure, and Eboue.

Who said you need wingers to be successful? ;)

No - they never played with anyone wide! Only all the time!!!!

They nearly wore the wings out on both flanks.

And what was the comment about whether to "stick" or "twist" and what might happen if they tried to sit on their lead????

Yes, they played players wide - but who is a natural winger of them all? None of them are natural wingers - certainly not Reyes (more attacker than winger) nor Hleb. How many times do Arsenal get to the byeline to cross the ball in (like you're always going on about)? Rarely.

Face it, they don't play with out and out wingers.

Whoever played wide at the time looked pretty good and they often had two players using the full width of each flank and constantly manoeuvring around the full backs. Henry took the piss down there at times.

You just don't seem to believe the evidence before your own eyes. It was an absolutely brilliant example of constant wing play and a lesson for any aspiring manager.

And who said anything about wingers having to cross the ball as such? Quite the contrary. I wish wide players would stop such aimless passes to non-aerial forwards and pass the ball precisely as Arsenal did.

Some outstanding wingers (I mentioned Beckham and Hinton) could hit long passes accurately but passing accurately is the requirement and while we may not achieve Arsenal's excellence that is exactly as I'd like to see City play - using the full width of the pitch and with full-backs/midfield players supporting in numbers right up to and into the penalty area.

Arsenal were superb last night. Fabregas is fastly establishing himself as the best young central midfielder in the world. Barca must be seething.

Both he and Toure were world class last night and I was very impressed with Eboue who looks to be a fantastic prospect, would have been nice to see Walcott come on for the last 20 mins and take the piss.

On to the winger argument. I think it's fair to say that we've established that wingers aren't essential but you need width to be successful otherwise you become one dimensional.

Reyes and Henry both started off as wingers and Pires has always been classed as a wide midfielder, but he's very versatile so you can't class him as a winger. Hleb has played on the right wing for several years at Stuttgart.

My take is that Leicester need atleast one player who is comfortable on the wing and can provide them with width and a different option of getting the ball in to the box. They also need to be able to track back. If they aren't a natural winger but can do this job then brilliant, if they are a winger and can do that job then fantastic. Maybury and Hughes to me both look hindered on the wing, it's as simple as that.

My definition of a winger is anyone playing out wide in an attacking sense, whether temporarily or permanently.

Arsenal had various players who provided width but it wasn't a token gesture, they were all threatening as attackers, including full-back Toure, and the support for whoever was on the flank was just as close as everywhere else.

The whole thing illustrated how vital it is to have fast, mobile, accurate, pass-and-move footballers who are as comfortable attacking as defending.

People like Fabricas and Reyes did their grafting but were a constant goal/creative threat whereas we don't have that threat from wide or central midfield, apart from Joey who's leaving. Nor do we have it at left back and this must be changed if we are to have any real chance of success.

Look how Arsenal's support players were constantly driving forward up to and into the penalty box.

It might have been 4-5-1 on paper but it was often 3-4-3 or even 3-3-4 in reality.

I bet the video is being studied all over the country at football clubs. Essential viewing I'd say because I have never before seen a top team made to look so static, so bewildered and so outdated.

My definition of a winger is anyone playing out wide in an attacking sense, whether temporarily or permanently.

Arsenal had various players who provided width but it wasn't a token gesture, they were all threatening as attackers, including full-back Toure, and the support for whoever was on the flank was just as close as everywhere else.

The whole thing illustrated how vital it is to have fast, mobile, accurate, pass-and-move footballers who are as comfortable attacking as defending.

People like Fabricas and Reyes did their grafting but were a constant goal/creative threat whereas we don't have that threat from wide or central midfield, apart from Joey who's leaving. Nor do we have it at left back and this must be changed if we are to have any real chance of success.

Look how Arsenal's support players were constantly driving forward up to and into the penalty box.

It might have been 4-5-1 on paper but it was often 3-4-3 or even 3-3-4 in reality.

I bet the video is being studied all over the country at football clubs. Essential viewing I'd say because I have never before seen a top team made to look so static, so bewildered and so outdated.

It seems a bit unrealistic to compare our team to Arsenal's and it's naive to think that we have the resources to build a team around the same model. I'd rather we look at a team like Reading who, to be honest, do not have a single player that would be out of our reach quality or resource-wise, and try and emulate that champion's attitude.

The qualities that the Arsenal players have are some things that you only see sparingly and in glimpses in this league, and it tells it's own story when they went out and bought supposedly world class wingers Reyes and Hleb for huge sums. It's too reliant on vast amounts of talent, which we don't have and can never get..

So we've convinced you that to use the full width fo the pitch you don't need "wingers?" ;) Just good footballers with technical ability and movement.

Cameronsi is a Italian international winger, and a very good player. However he's also a nob ( I think he's half agentine which would explain it ) Cappelo knows this and will more then likely do little in the way of disciplining him.

Archived