Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

What 'small clubs' from big cities could play in the Premiership?

Having seen the meteoric rises of clubs like Wigan, Blackburn, Charlton, Fulham etc into becoming established Premiership clubs, I was thinking which 'small clubs' from large places could deserve their places in the Premiership.. I am thinking of this on the basis of the size of their cities ??

I believe these are some of those clubs :-

Swansea City

Peterborough United

Oxford United

Bristol Rovers/City - if they joined together??

Milton Keynes Dons - AND YES I REALISE IT IS REALLY WIMBLEDON BUT MILTON KEYNES IS A LARGE PLACE.

Northampton Town

I disagree on the Peterborough front. Their natural position would probably be around the first division. I don't think the city is that big... has a lovely cathedral though.

Whatsmore, Barry Fry owns the club and they've been a declining force in recent years.

Stating the obvious but Sheffield Wednesday should be doing better. Barnsley too and perhaps Oldham and Huddersfield who all have decent fan bases. Having said that, Wednesday and Barnsley have spent time in the Prem fairly recently, whilst Oldham did too (going back a bit).

Swansea is a good shout though.

Having seen the meteoric rises of clubs like Wigan, Blackburn, Charlton, Fulham etc into becoming established Premiership clubs, I was thinking which 'small clubs' from large places could deserve their places in the Premiership.. I am thinking of this on the basis of the size of their cities ??

I believe these are some of those clubs :-

Swansea City

Peterborough United

Oxford United

Bristol Rovers/City - if they joined together??

Milton Keynes Dons - AND YES I REALISE IT IS REALLY WIMBLEDON BUT MILTON KEYNES IS A LARGE PLACE.

Northampton Town

One of the two Bristol clubs is the obvious point. I have also never understood why South London doesn't really have a big club.

Oxford and Peterborough are quite small. Not on the same scale as Nottingham or Leicester. Isn't Hull supossed ot be massive? I really don't know my norhtern Cities.

Bristol City definitely. Unfortunately, it's egg-chasing country down there even more so than in Leicestershire.

Bradford is a decent-sized city, but again suffers from the egg-chasers (the other code), plus it's near Leeds, Halifax and Huddersfield too.

One of the two Bristol clubs is the obvious point. I have also never understood why South London doesn't really have a big club.

Oxford and Peterborough are quite small. Not on the same scale as Nottingham or Leicester. Isn't Hull supossed ot be massive? I really don't know my norhtern Cities.

Hull/Bradford/Wigan/Bristol clubs struggle to attract the supporters due to the rugby. This kinda negates the advantage of being a club in a big city. Also, for the Bristol clubs, there are two of them fighting for the same potential fans.

Guest Gist

Hull is the biggest place that has never seen top flight football :cool: .... I think so anyway.

I disagree on the Peterborough front. Their natural position would probably be around the first division. I don't think the city is that big... has a lovely cathedral though.

Whatsmore, Barry Fry owns the club and they've been a declining force in recent years.

Stating the obvious but Sheffield Wednesday should be doing better. Barnsley too and perhaps Oldham and Huddersfield who all have decent fan bases. Having said that, Wednesday and Barnsley have spent time in the Prem fairly recently, whilst Oldham did too (going back a bit).

Swansea is a good shout though.

I co-wrote a book about Peterborough United once - at the time when John Banwell was involved there and people like Noel Cantwell and Ian Storey-Moore were knocking around at nearby Stamford (some parties they had at the time :P ).

It was a marvellous place to live in the 70's, right up to date and quite dynamic and, being the biggest City around the Fens (though Wisbech is the Fenland Capital) the local girls were just born to have a good time.

As I understand it there is massive further development planned there and the place is barely an hour by train from London.

But it is full of trouble now as a place and the fan base isn't good and not really likely to grow because the catchment area is mainly small village farming communities.

Northampton might manage it again though (new ground, good communications, vibrant prospective City) and Milton Keynes has great potential.

Swansea? I don't really care what happens in Wales. In fact I wouldn't have Welsh clubs in the Football League/Premiership. Wales has its own League, like the Irish and Scots.

I co-wrote a book about Peterborough United once - at the time when John Banwell was involved there and people like Noel Cantwell and Ian Storey-Moore were knocking around at nearby Stamford (some parties they had at the time :P ).

It was a marvellous place to live in the 70's, right up to date and quite dynamic and, being the biggest City around the Fens (though Wisbech is the Fenland Capital) the local girls were just born to have a good time.

As I understand it there is massive further development planned there and the place is barely an hour by train from London.

But it is full of trouble now as a place and the fan base isn't good and not really likely to grow because the catchment area is mainly small village farming communities.

Northampton might manage it again though (new ground, good communications, vibrant prospective City) and Milton Keynes has great potential.

Swansea? I don't really care what happens in Wales. In fact I wouldn't have Welsh clubs in the Football League/Premiership. Wales has its own League, like the Irish and Scots.

I blame the lack of wingers and attacking football. :ph34r:

Not Swansea. Championship, maybe. Cardiff though probably, yes, though th best call in the thread so far as been Sheffield Wednesday. As much as it pains us to say, Forest, too.

Not Oxford, Bristol or Peterborough though.

If Swansea is a big enough place to support a Premiership team, then Walsall, Preston North End, Luton Town, Plymouth Argyle, Stoke City, AFC Bournemouth and Dudley Town could all make it too. Swansea is not a big city.

I live reasonably near Peterborough and the reason they will never get the fan base is because most of them think they are cockneys aka Plastic Cockneys and so hop on the GNER down to Kings Cross and watch Chelseas et al on a Saturday/Sunday/Monday night. Peterborough could also benefit from having a change of ground, London Road is a horrible.

It's hard to believe the Posh were in the same division as us in the mid-ish nineties as were Cambridge a few years before that!!!!

*Nods* Yup, agreed. Cardiff's actually only about the same size as Leicester and Swansea is about 100'000 people less (talking city limits here, not Counties.)

Though with both (more so Cardiff than Swansea) you have to consider the area around, too. I mean keep in mind that Cardiff have a lot of fans outside of Cardiff and that if they were promoted to the premiership that would be even more so, as people would go to follow Cardiff as following Wales (though, obviously not the Jacks.)

I think most teams could make it to the top flight and stay there, as long as they had a big enough sugar daddy behind them.

Look at Wigan. It's not so long ago they were on the same level as Bury or Rochdale. Then Dave Whelan took over, built them a new ground and the rest is history. John Madejski has also done the same thing with Reading.

Swansea as a club has the same potential as say Watford or Preston. So if they got promoted to the Championship they would feel capable of holding their own with us and the rest of the league.

Archived