Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shipman Out

Are we Better than Watford and Leeds?

Well done to Watford and what looks to be a top manager in Adrian Boothroyd who has set up a focused hard working well organized Championship side, sure its ugly just like the town.

Watford is ugly but not as ugly as the Leeds players hair thats for sure. Have a look at those two teams and ask yourself surely we can achieve that standard? I think we are a good summers business away.

We have the potential to be better than both Leeds and Watford. Kelly's test is to fatten up a good first eleven into a good squad. The loss of gudjohnsson is not the best start. a commanding centre midfielder would give us a good spine.

Lets see what happens over the summer and hope for a good start.

And by the way Jordon Stewert did ok because the cameras were there it was his one in eleven games (yes thats right one good game in eleven matches, or is that months??

I thought Watford's win at Sheff Utd earlier in March was the best performance by a Championship team I'd seen all season. They used the channels very well, especially balls down the line. They are then able to apply pressure as a unit to the opposition. In Marlon King they have a good leader of the line and someone who can finish and take pressure off the midlfield by holding up or running with the ball at pace. Chambers, Young and Mahon all had excellent seasons. Foster is probably also the best young keeper in the country. They also have some fair to middling players (Mackay, DeMerrit) and some distinctly average ones (Stewart, Henderson).

However, what Boothroyd has achieved is a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Through good planning, tactical awareness and instilling a sense of team spirit he has been able to get that extra 10% from players which has made the difference in the long term. The power of positive thinking is also evident in his approach. That and the occasional elbow swung at opposing centre halves.

I forsee a grim struggle for them next season.

As for Leeds. Utter shite. They will struggle at the start of next season. Bates will panic and sack Blackwell and they could well go into free fall again. Joy of joys.

we are better than leeds defo, they fouled there way into that play off spot and got what the deserved for doing it!

watford yes i also beleive we are better than them BUT they are alot quicker with goal kicks (something i feel we should speed up) throw ins are better! and they all seem to know were each other gunna be, they have great team work, something i am sure will come in time for us!! we need to take corners like watford jordan whipped them in a beaut yesterday!

I wouldnt say we are better, however I would say we are up to their standard and certainly as good as them.

I watched the game yesterday and Leeds were shocking, allowing Watford to turn them over, however that shouldnt take away the fact that Watford are a good side.

But yes, we WILL be the first Championship play-off final winners at the new Wembley :D

Watching Leeds i really dont think its much of a standard to reach. there is a cigarette paper between success and failure it seems that and good well organized motivation aka Watford but i still wouldnt swap there squad with ours.

Bothroyd is getting the best out of his players and they WANT to play for him just look at that numpty at Forest, Marlon (ive got a huge shelve for shoulders) King. He has been excellent for Watford. Lets not get carried away though he's hard working championship player. (i can hear bothroyd motivation for next season all ready prove em wrong marlon!)

Kelly is a more understated character compared with bothroyd but i think he will get a squad of players together who want to do well for him which is a quality managers like Souness, Hoddle ect do not possess.

Watching Leeds i really dont think its much of a standard to reach. there is a cigarette paper between success and failure it seems that and good well organized motivation aka Watford but i still wouldnt swap there squad with ours.

Bothroyd is getting the best out of his players and they WANT to play for him just look at that numpty at Forest, Marlon (ive got a huge shelve for shoulders) King. He has been excellent for Watford. Lets not get carried away though he's hard working championship player. (i can hear bothroyd motivation for next season all ready prove em wrong marlon!)

Kelly is a more understated character compared with bothroyd but i think he will get a squad of players together who want to do well for him which is a quality managers like Souness, Hoddle ect do not possess.

Agree with most of this apart from the notion that Souness is "a quality manager". :blink::ermm::huh::unsure::whistle::ph34r:

It's about consistancy, city on there day can beat anyone, but seem to have many off days (Mainly CL era). Watford, similar to city with a new youthful team, week in week out have churned out results playing at there peak, ie making them a top 6 team!!

We took four points of Watford last season and were clost to taking all six if it was not for a last minute equaliser by them at the walkers.

We were also infront against leads and then were weakened to ten men and still held out for a creditable draw which was deserved. We were also , quoting from Blackwell " The best team he has seen play at Elland Road" last season.

Therefore those facts could put up and arguement that we can be better then the teams mentioned above, but consistency is what is required. We need to grind out results at home and away against teams like Burnley, Brighton, Millwall, Crewe all of whom we failed to beat at home and only won away under Rob Kelly.

I agree that we can beat any championship team on our day but as was seen in the Preston match we were outplayed physically and tactically. I have faith in Rob and I believe we CAN be as good as Watford, but we need to be less static tactically. Plus we need to stop bypassing the midfield with crap balls that Hume is never going to win. Solve those and teach Hendo how to kick and Communicate and you're almost there.

we are better than leeds, they fouled there way into that play off spot and got what the deserved for doing it!

Im not sticking up for Leeds but I doubt that if the championship had premier league referees, Leeds would suddenly be down the table. Ive seen this "fouled their way up the league" argument so much over the last few days and it sounds like people are looking for an excuse in the way that people used administration against us!!

Over 46 games, Leeds finished where they did because they are one of the top 6 teams in the championship. We took four points off watford - great but we only took two points from Crewe. Does that mean we should be relegated because Crewe matched us over 180 minutes?

I'd say we have the potential to match what they have done this season by becoming serious play-off contenders next season, but we need some serious buy's and if I'm honest I don't think we can attract or afford the sort of players needed to maintain the sort of consistency required over a season!

Maybe we should look at players from the three promoted clubs they've been there and done it and it's obvious that some of them will have no chance in the Premiership next season.

I think we were able to perform against sides nearer the top of table last season, e.g. Watford, Leeds, etc, precisely because they had the confidence to go out and try to play football. Against teams which set themselves up to frustrate, hastle, stick 10 men behind the ball and look for a quick counter, we struggled no-end.

As such, it presents a false illusion that there is not much between us and Watford, when you take our results against them in isolation.

When we are able to beat the bad depressing teams, like Burnley, then we can show off about how good we are, precisely because we will be challenging for the play-offs at the very least.

At the wish of not paraphrasing Thracian's many other posts on this topic, we need to look at how we break teams down, particularly improving our attacking set-pieces. We all seem to consistently bang the drum about set-pieces, but again it showed yesterday. Watford's first two goals; one from a corner and one from a throw-in into the box.

When we are able to beat the bad depressing teams, like Burnley, then we can show off about how good we are, precisely because we will be challenging for the play-offs at the very least.

Burnley beat us hands down tactically at the Walkers and, at the end of the season, I thought that was the best away performance I'd seen. They were riding high then, and they were shite later, of course, but that was in many ways the real wake-up call for what was going wrong tactically with CL.

Failing to beat Ipswich and Norwich away was more worrying in the latter part of the season. Both by then had lost all momentum and were sides falling apart tactically and cohesively, and we really should have been able to take them both.

Archived