Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Littlered

McAuley Signs

Good news i guess! Always nice to get someone in on a free

It's always the case that the game goes on holiday, just like you and me, and therefore to scan the media before now is bound to be frustrating.

McAuley Hails "Top Man"

New signing Gareth McAuley has paid tribute to Foxes boss Rob Kelly following his move to the Walkers Stadium from Lincoln City.

The 26-year-old defender has signed a three-year deal and becomes the club's first summer signing.

And he admitted that Kelly had a big part to play in convincing him to pledge his future to the Championship club.

He said: "I had other Championship clubs interested in my services but the gaffer's thoughts and ambition sealed it for me.

"You just get a gut feeling some times and after a chat with him I had no hesitation in signing.

"I was very impressed with his thoughts, ideas, drive and determination. He is a top man and made me feel very comfortable and welcome.

"Leicester have Premier League facilities and I want to help them get back up into the top flight and have a crack at that level of football.

"This was the only place I wanted to come to after I had spoken to the gaffer.

"I know a lot of players back at home that worked with him when he was at Blackburn and they were all quick to praise him."

The Northern Ireland international experienced two successful seasons at Sincil Bank after moving from Coleraine but is now ready to make that step up to the next level.

"I have always been involved with successful teams and hopefully that will also be the case at Leicester," added McAuley.

"It is a step up for me but I am hungry, have got that drive and want to go places.

"I know that I will have to fight for my place because there are a lot of quality players at this football club but I have every confidence in my own ability and want to do well in pre-season, get a shirt on my back and keep it.

"I like playing football in the right areas, getting the ball down while also going forward for set-pieces and scoring the odd goal.

"But if I need to get rid of the ball then I will do!"

And McAuley is also hoping his move to the East Midlands will boost his international prospects.

He currently has three caps to his name after figuring in the defeats against Uruguay and Romania during his country's recent tour to the United States.

"International football is a totally different style of football but I feel as though I have acquitted myself well at that level and hopefully if I can make an impression here then more opportunities will follow."

Great news. I hope the lad lives up to people's expectations on here, I've not seen him play but others have and many have said he's a good player so I hope they're right!

It's brilliant that we've got him for free, now I wouldn't mind Gerrbrand being shown the exit door ;)

Two seasons in the UK, 10 goals, 10 yellow cards ... here's what they said about him:

Northern Ireland international Gareth McAuley signed a two-year contract with the Imps on the eve of the 2004/05 season when he moved to Sincil Bank from Coleraine for an undisclosed fee. The Larne-born centre-back made his City debut as a substitute 24 hours later in the Imps' opening match of the 2004/05 campaign at Shrewsbury Town.

The 6'3" centre back, who represented his country at 'B' international level against Scotland in the 2003/04 season, signed for Coleraine in July 2002 from Crusaders, whom he joined in August 2000 following brief spells with Linfield and Ballyclare Comrades.

He turned out to be an astute acquisition by Keith Alexander and quickly become a popular figure amongst the City supporters with his two goals against Macclesfield Town in the 2004/05 League 2 Play-Off Semi-Finals booking the Imps a place in the Final at the Millennium Stadium.

McAuley's form throughout his first season in the Football League was rewarded when he won his first full international cap for Northern Ireland when he came on as a second half substitute in a friendly against Germany at Windsor Park on June 4th 2005.

...and he has three caps for Northern Ireland. Sounds like he has potential.

0,,10440~2702555,00.jpg

Great news. I hope the lad lives up to people's expectations on here, I've not seen him play but others have and many have said he's a good player so I hope they're right!

It's brilliant that we've got him for free, now I wouldn't mind Gerrbrand being shown the exit door ;)

Although I think he's the obvious choice to go, I would be sad to see Gerrbrand leave. It's obvious he's got talent but he's had a hard year and if your not instantly suited to English football then it's going to be hard to make a success of it.

I do think we now need to sell a centre half and he's been the poorest out of the 4 centre halves we currently have, but if we were to be offered £1 million for Kisnorbo or £200k for Gerrbrand then i'd be tempted to get rid of Kisnorbo instead and use the cash to strengthen our piss poor midfield.

then i'd be tempted to get rid of Kisnorbo instead and use the cash to strengthen our piss poor midfield.

[sarcasm]But ric, we have wesolowski, he will anilihate every team we come up against next season, just play him on his own in the centre of midfield, he's old enough to handle it![/sarcasm]

Anyone else think he looks like Robbie Williams best mate? That Jonathan Wilkes fella? Dubious.

Yer the one that scored the goal in the celebrity match? i was thinking it but couldn't remeember his name

Haven't seen anything of the lad but I've heard and read nothing but good reports. If none of our defence is sold, can't see him getting in to the team straight away though. I wouldn't take out Kisnorbo or Paddy and he's not a full back either. Unless RK is thinking about trying out 3-5-2?

I've seen a lot of Gareth Macauley this season. I quite often go to Sincil Bank (when I'm not at the Walkers Stadium!)

He is a quality player - he's calm, and no nonsense. Enjoyed telling people I was sitting with last time I was there that he would be playing for a better club next season!

The Imps loss is very much our gain!

Although I think he's the obvious choice to go, I would be sad to see Gerrbrand leave. It's obvious he's got talent but he's had a hard year and if your not instantly suited to English football then it's going to be hard to make a success of it.

I do think we now need to sell a centre half and he's been the poorest out of the 4 centre halves we currently have, but if we were to be offered £1 million for Kisnorbo or £200k for Gerrbrand then i'd be tempted to get rid of Kisnorbo instead and use the cash to strengthen our piss poor midfield.

Here here, Kisnortbo is not close to gerrbrand, gerrbrand has been unlucky with injuries but he looks very accomplished.

Archived