Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

More To Come!

Linkage

Leicester City manager Robert Kelly has hinted at further additions to his squad after unveiling new defender Gareth McAuley.

The Northern Ireland international yesterday became Kelly's first signing when he put pen to paper on a three-year deal.

McAuley joined on a free transfer after his contract at League Two side Lincoln City expired, and the 26-year-old was delighted to make the switch.

He said: "The facilities here are second to none. They are Premiership standard.

"I had a feeling as soon as I came down. I had other clubs interested but this one excited me."

City boss Kelly revealed he was now looking to bring in some more new faces, particularly in midfield following the loss of Joey Gudjonnson.

"I would like to think we can make one or two signings, finances allowing," said Kelly.

"I know what the budget is. We will do what we can without jeopardising the club. Supporters of this club realise that more than most at other clubs.

"I think it's important to add a couple of players for competition. It's a really tough league, there are 46 games and I think you need a reasonably-sized squad.

"Midfield is an area we are looking at. We have Stephen Hughes, Gareth Williams and James Wesolowski.

"It would be a big ask for someone like Wesolowski, who is 19 and coming back from a double leg-break, and it would not be realistic to expect him to play 46 games.

"It would be sensible for us to strengthen that area if we can."

Asked if there would be players heading out of the Walkers Stadium, Kelly said: "Not at the moment. We are starting to build something here.

"We have to work as hard as we can to retain the family silver."

It appears unlikely that Burnley's Micah Hyde will be one of the new faces.

Hyde, who has been placed on the transfer list at Turf Moor, has been linked with City.

However, it is understood that he is not one of the players that City have been looking at.

At least Weso seems to be in Rob's plans for next season :)

He always has been. Rob's just been fairly clever recently in trying to take the pressure off the kid by not 'bigging him' up too much. If Wesolowski returns to full fitness, which he's on target to do then he'll force his way in to the team and stay there. But until he does that, it doesn't harm him if Kelly takes the pressure off him by being a touch cautious in predicting anything.

I sometimes forget what a treat we are in for next season if Weso stays injury free.

He always has been. Rob's just been fairly clever recently in trying to take the pressure off the kid by not 'bigging him' up too much. If Wesolowski returns to full fitness, which he's on target to do then he'll force his way in to the team and stay there. But until he does that, it doesn't harm him if Kelly takes the pressure off him by being a touch cautious in predicting anything.

I sometimes forget what a treat we are in for next season if Weso stays injury free.

How could you ever forget that? :blink:

That sounds very good, Rob Kelly is gaining more and more of my respect. Am I mistaken or does it look like we'll be experiencing a completely different playing attitude and a more attractive game for next season?

One or two good additions, and we're a very solid team and hard(er) to beat.

I'm optimistic and would predict a higher position in the table than last season, preferrably something in the range of 5th to 10th.

Bring on more good news!

That sounds very good, Rob Kelly is gaining more and more of my respect. Am I mistaken or does it look like we'll be experiencing a completely different playing attitude and a more attractive game for next season?

One or two good additions, and we're a very solid team and hard(er) to beat.

I'm optimistic and would predict a higher position in the table than last season, preferrably something in the range of 5th to 10th.

Bring on more good news!

If this happens I will be a very happy man. It seems that he wants to keep the squad together, which, for the most part, can only be a good thing.

If this happens I will be a very happy man. It seems that he wants to keep the squad together, which, for the most part, can only be a good thing.

Yea, its all good sounds based around slow but sure progression. I love the committment to keeping the 'family silver'.

I wonder about the attractive approach though as I guess first orders have top be stemming goals conceeded then scoring. Attractiveness may be a longer term goal?

So - Do I take it that you guys are saying I made the right decision to renew my ST? - I was severely losing interest last season

Losing interest during the Kelly era or proceedings that had happened earlier in the season under the sweaty?

I didn't enjoy the type of football we played under Kelly, but the more frequent wins gave me course for a little optimism. He's installed a mentality that means we shouldn't under achieve like we had been doing.

Losing interest during the Kelly era or proceedings that had happened earlier in the season under the sweaty?

I didn't enjoy the type of football we played under Kelly, but the more frequent wins gave me course for a little optimism. He's installed a mentality that means we shouldn't under achieve like we had been doing.

I enjoyed the football that we played because it produced wins and goals and thats all that counts. The last season which I enjoyed was probably the 2002/2003 one when we were playing shite football but scoring goals and winning. :D

I also enjoyed the first part of the premier league season because we were competing, and in the top half at one stage. Then it all went wrong..... :(

So - Do I take it that you guys are saying I made the right decision to renew my ST? - I was severely losing interest last season

I reckon everyone that got a ST made the right decision ... it's that cash that will consolidate and build the squad which will lead us onto better things. I'm proud to be playing my part to make my team better. I have confidence that next season is going to be much better for us...

Guardedly! :whistle:

So you think Rob should be calling endless press conferences just to inform the media and the public his intentions to play James Wesolowski for 90 mins in 46 league games next season plus every other available opportunity in friendlies and cup matches? Kelly is taking the pressure of Weso publically by saying that he's not expecting James to play 46 league games next season after 2 serious injuries he's suffered.

What he's probably saying to Weso face to face is that he's extremely highly regarded at this club and very much a first team player. He'll also be saying that if he plays like he did last season before his injuries then he'll be one of the first names down on the teamsheet but he musn't lose focus from the fact he's still very young and had some nasty injuries that might take time to erase from the memory.

I can't see why you get concerned because Rob Kelly has said that he doesn't want to put too much pressure on Wesolowski. Levein rushed Weso back last season because he thought it would win himself abit more time and please the fans. It did do, but that might well have resulted in why Wesolowski suffered his 2nd leg break.

Obviously if Wesolowski is fully fit next season and Kelly over-looks him for no reason then i'd share your frustration, but that's massively unproven and from recent articles Kelly has said that he's very much a first team player as he was during Kelly's first 3 or 4 games in charge at Leicester.

So you think Rob should be calling endless press conferences just to inform the media and the public his intentions to play James Wesolowski for 90 mins in 46 league games next season plus every other available opportunity in friendlies and cup matches? Kelly is taking the pressure of Weso publically by saying that he's not expecting James to play 46 league games next season after 2 serious injuries he's suffered.

What he's probably saying to Weso face to face is that he's extremely highly regarded at this club and very much a first team player. He'll also be saying that if he plays like he did last season before his injuries then he'll be one of the first names down on the teamsheet but he musn't lose focus from the fact he's still very young and had some nasty injuries that might take time to erase from the memory.

I can't see why you get concerned because Rob Kelly has said that he doesn't want to put too much pressure on Wesolowski. Levein rushed Weso back last season because he thought it would win himself abit more time and please the fans. It did do, but that might well have resulted in why Wesolowski suffered his 2nd leg break.

Obviously if Wesolowski is fully fit next season and Kelly over-looks him for no reason then i'd share your frustration, but that's massively unproven and from recent articles Kelly has said that he's very much a first team player as he was during Kelly's first 3 or 4 games in charge at Leicester.

Post of the month.

I don't think anything of the sort. Nor do I have any idea what Kelly is saying face to face with Weso and certainly wouldn't try to guess.

Furthermore I wouldn't anticipate who will be first on the teamsheets either unless I know what they are being paid and what they've been promised which sometimes seems to be the criteria at Leicester and was throughout last season.

As for Weso's fitness I think it was I who warned loud and clear (and at least twice) about the dangers bringing Weso back to soon. In my own consideration of next season I have barely given Wesolowski a thought.

I am much more concerned about the prospect of still having Maybury and Hughes in our midfield and am still not convinced that Williams is likely to deliver 7.5 good games out of 10 although he does have the ability.

I don't think anything of the sort. Nor do I have any idea what Kelly is saying face to face with Weso and certainly wouldn't try to guess.

Furthermore I wouldn't anticipate who will be first on the teamsheets either unless I know what they are being paid and what they've been promised which sometimes seems to be the criteria at Leicester and was throughout last season.

As for Weso's fitness I think it was I who warned loud and clear (and at least twice) about the dangers bringing Weso back to soon. In my own consideration of next season I have barely given Wesolowski a thought.

I am much more concerned about the prospect of still having Maybury and Hughes in our midfield and am still not convinced that Williams is likely to deliver 7.5 good games out of 10 although he does have the ability.

Well if that's the case, then why have you gone on record to voice your anger at Kelly for playing down Wesolowski's role for next season? You've posted several comments about this whenever Kelly has mentioned Weso.

But the rest of what you say above I do agree with. The midfield is a massive concern, hopefully Wesolowski will be fully fit and that solves one part of it. Hughes can get better, he's got the talent but it's down to him to show it. Maybury does worry me a little, I can't see him being effective at all. Williams is a tricky one, again he's got talent but rarely shows it. The only thing that might go in our favour with him next season is he's out of contract the following summer and it's common knowledge that he raises his game when he's coming to the end of his contract. Perhaps he'll have a blinder and then leave us, which i'd rather him do than have a poor season and still leave us.

I used the word "guardedly" without elaboration because I simply have the feeling that Kelly will be less inclined to use our young players than Levein was.

What happened at the end of the season is the only hard evidence I can cite and it is inconclusive.

I know Weso was not an option then of course, but Kelly had the perfect opportunity to blood others during that time but wasted the chance.

Odd things he's said since suggest he will always plumb for experience over youth - by his own admission he's a sensible, keep-it-simple sort of man who I believe inclines towards caution. I don't necessarily blame him for this but last season's was not the sort of football I am inclined to pay to watch.

Furthermore the sort of potential signings with which he's been associated have represented experienced steadiness rather than youthful excitement.

In all I think that the Kelly team mould will be one of workmanlike reliabity and consequently Kelly will never consider the younger players to be quite as reliable as his experienced, newly signed options especially when the younger player has broken a leg twice.

The potential signings associated with him during the close season have also suggested this and I cannot see that any manager will make new signings who he doesn't see as first choices. To reiterate, Kelly's mention of Wesolowski was guarded ... at least as I read it.

Furthermore the sort of potential signings with which he's been associated have represented experienced steadiness rather than youthful excitement.

The potential signings associated with him during the close season have also suggested this and I cannot see that any manager will make new signings who he doesn't see as first choices.

Why worry? We've merely been linked with players on websites like footballrumours. Kelly hasn't said anything in the media about anyone other than McAuley, who we've signed and is 26.

Archived