Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Legend or Not!

Ok I've just added up the nominations for the next Legend, can't say that we are very unanamous in our opinions.

According to the posters on here, not counting Walsh, Muzzy, Elliott & Marshall we have at least another 44 legends mostly from the 90's, I suppose that reflects the age range on here.

Now I'm aware that a few of these were jokey suggestions, well at least I hope they were but some of the suggestions are way off the mark in my opinion.

Besides if between us all we think there are this many legends it's almost not worth tuppence to be one.

Obviously this all boils down to definition and I think there is confusion between what I would call an unforgettable and a legend. So definitions:

Legend:

A legend is a player that has made such a huge impact on Leicester City Football Club that everyone remembers and acknowledges their great accomplishments.

Unforgettable:

An unforgettable is a player earning a permanent place in the memory of Leicester City Fans through a particular deed(s) or personal characteristic.

My apologies if you think I'm being a miserable pedantic or if you disagree with but I happen to take my legends seriously.

Anyway based on the nominations it should be Keith Weller:

Steve Walsh Done

Muzzy Izzett Done

Matty Elliott Done

Ian Marshall Done

Keith Weller 5

Gary Coatsworth 4

Pegguy Arphexad 3

Davie Gibson 2

Ian Ormodroyd 2

Phil Gee 2

Rodney Fern 2

Stevie Claridge 2

Alan Birchenal 1

Alan Woolett 1

Alan Young 1

Ali Mauchlin 1

Andy Impey 1

Arthur Chandler 1

Arthur Rowley 1

David Lowe 1

David Speedie 1

Frank Large 1

Frank Worthington 1

Garry Parker 1

Gary Mills 1

Gerry Taggart 1

Iwan Roberts 1

Jamie Lawrence 1

Jimmy Willis 1

Joey Gudjonsson 1

Julian Joachim 1

Ken Sandercock 1

Lenny Glover 1

Les Ferdinand 1

Malcolm Munro 1

Mike Whitlow 1

Neil Lennon 1 Neil Lewis 1

Paul Henderson 1

Peter Shilton 1

Pontus Kaamark 1

Scott Gemmil 1

Scott Taylor 1

Steve Guppy 1

Theo Zagorakis 1

Tim Flowers 1

Tony Cottee 1

Zelco Kalac 1

How did Frank Worthington only get one nomination? I'm from the bemoaned 90s generation but I'm willing to accept his status as a bigger, better player than Gary Coatsworth - who's only there 'cos he was a scruffy, ugly coont. :D

And am I missing something really, really, really obvious - or has Lineker not had a mention there (yet Big Les has?)

I still think the two Atrhur's should have the spotlight. Most on here will never have seen them play (me included) but their stats. speak for themselves!! Best LCFC strikers.... EVER!!!

Ok I've just added up the nominations for the next Legend, can't say that we are very unanamous in our opinions.

According to the posters on here, not counting Walsh, Muzzy, Elliott & Marshall we have at least another 44 legends mostly from the 90's, I suppose that reflects the age range on here.

Now I'm aware that a few of these were jokey suggestions, well at least I hope they were but some of the suggestions are way off the mark in my opinion.

Besides if between us all we think there are this many legends it's almost not worth tuppence to be one.

Obviously this all boils down to definition and I think there is confusion between what I would call an unforgettable and a legend. So definitions:

Legend:

A legend is a player that has made such a huge impact on Leicester City Football Club that everyone remembers and acknowledges their great accomplishments.

Unforgettable:

An unforgettable is a player earning a permanent place in the memory of Leicester City Fans through a particular deed(s) or personal characteristic.

My apologies if you think I'm being a miserable pedantic or if you disagree with but I happen to take my legends seriously.

Anyway based on the nominations it should be Keith Weller:

Steve Walsh Done

Muzzy Izzett Done

Matty Elliott Done

Ian Marshall Done

Keith Weller 5

Gary Coatsworth 4

Pegguy Arphexad 3

Davie Gibson 2

Ian Ormodroyd 2

Phil Gee 2

Rodney Fern 2

Stevie Claridge 2

Alan Birchenal 1

Alan Woolett 1

Alan Young 1

Ali Mauchlin 1

Andy Impey 1

Arthur Chandler 1

Arthur Rowley 1

David Lowe 1

David Speedie 1

Frank Large 1

Frank Worthington 1

Garry Parker 1

Gary Mills 1

Gerry Taggart 1

Iwan Roberts 1

Jamie Lawrence 1

Jimmy Willis 1

Joey Gudjonsson 1

Julian Joachim 1

Ken Sandercock 1

Lenny Glover 1

Les Ferdinand 1

Malcolm Munro 1

Mike Whitlow 1

Neil Lennon 1 Neil Lewis 1

Paul Henderson 1

Peter Shilton 1

Pontus Kaamark 1

Scott Gemmil 1

Scott Taylor 1

Steve Guppy 1

Theo Zagorakis 1

Tim Flowers 1

Tony Cottee 1

Zelco Kalac 1

I'll call a legend who i like thanks.

Just because you don't think they're a legend, doesn't mean they ain't. All of us are different and we all have different opinions.

A legend is a player that has made such a huge impact on Leicester City Football Club that everyone remembers and acknowledges their great accomplishments

how can you be so sure "everyone" remembers him?

And I thought I was being pedantic.

I'll call a legend who i like thanks.

Just because you don't think they're a legend, doesn't mean they ain't. All of us are different and we all have different opinions.

Where did I say you couldn't?

There are some touchy people on here today aren't there, the facts speak for themselves with most nominations amounting to one proposal there is obviously not a united view. I was just expounding on that fact and giving my opinion of it and because it has made it very difficult to determine who should be in the legends thread.

Maybe we should halt it where it is or is that me being too touchy?

It is easy to devalue the word legend. I'd put Davie Gibson top of any such list - which is where he helped put Leicester City to a greater degree than ever before or since.

He was a footballing maestro and a team player to boot who gave exceptional service along with others, not mentioned like Ian King, Frank McLintock, Colin Appleton, Howard Riley, Mike Streingfellow etc.

Of the others not previously done I'd say Arthur Rowley, Arthur Chandler, Peter Shilton and Frank Worthington would definitely qualify as legends with Len Glover, Steve Claridge, Pontus Kaamark, Steve Guppy and Keith Weller possibly earning the accolade and with Fern, Woollett, Parker, Joey, Roberts, Cottee and Taggart next.

After that there may be stories to tell, special moments to recall but no-one else on the list represented were my idea of a legend.

Of others not mentioned, I would think of the brilliant Derek Hogg, Derek Hines and Derek Dougan, plus others like Howard Riley, Ken Leek, Jimmy Walsh and Ken Keyworth.

"Puffer" Riley is still a regular face around the ground and how he much itch to come on and rescue our situation on the right wing because he certainl;y knew how to play there.

quote davie g "Maybe we should halt it where it is or is that me being too touchy ?"

yes :P you are being touchy; stop it now and no more hissy fits and strops

and give ol' "pretty polly white legs" weller a good old blast on the trumpet :thumbup:

i still think Malcolm " i'm a lumberjack an' i'm ok" Munro; should get a small blast though for putting his chopper where his mouth is

Why? what did he do to stop being one?

When he scored after 16 seconds for Dennis Wise's Millwall against us in the 4-1 defeat of them. :P Only joking!

Daveig you choose who you think it should be - you've done a good job choosing them so far.

Again people are confusing legend with their best player, as davieg says it kind of dilutes the term legend when you have a list this long!

Maybe you need to put three nominations forward each time and over the course of the next week we can vote on who to praise next.

Lineker, Worthington, Cross, Whitworth and Shilts should be in any LCFC legends list.

Archived