Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Lincoln Match

people seem to be jumping to conclusions about the second goal, until you've seen it, you don't know what the circumstances were. rab may not have even touched him, the reports are inconclusive.

True, but sufficient evidence from his antics of last season show that he's a shite keeper and there is around a 90% chance that he is to blame for the 2 goals.

people seem to be jumping to conclusions about the second goal, until you've seen it, you don't know what the circumstances were. rab may not have even touched him, the reports are inconclusive.

:clap::thumbup:

Doubtless the circumstances will emerge. But if the team were settling okay and Rab drops a clanger it is possible that Leicester got caught pushing for an equaliser allowing the breakthrough second and then the situation gets worse with a penalty out of the blue. Sometimes, just sometimes the dice all roll the wrong way together.

Anyway it sounds as if City hit back with interest, that Doddsy was desperately unlucky not to grab a winner, McAuley had a goal disallowed and people like Sheehan and Porter completed a full 90 minutes in a drawn game which keeps both youngsters' first team records looking quietly impressive.

No word on how Wesolowski shaped up but what a nice little bonus to hear that he was back in action. :)

Doubtless the circumstances will emerge. But if the team were settling okay and Rab drops a clanger it is possible that Leicester got caught pushing for an equaliser allowing the breakthrough second and then the situation gets worse with a penalty out of the blue. Sometimes, just sometimes the dice all roll the wrong way together.

Anyway it sounds as if City hit back with interest, that Doddsy was desperately unlucky not to grab a winner, McAuley had a goal disallowed and people like Sheehan and Porter completed a full 90 minutes in a drawn game which keeps both youngsters' first team records looking quietly impressive.

No word on how Wesolowski shaped up but what a nice little bonus to hear that he was back in action. :)

Haven't read the thread, I was at the match, but if it wasn't for Rab it would've been 1-0 at half time.

First goal was a shocker, he tips it over his own head, turns round and then rather than catch it, or scoop it away, which he had plenty of time to do he instead watches it bounce and then stumbles into the goal with the ball.

Second goal was excellent work by Lincoln and well finished by Scott Kerr.

Third goal was Rab taking out Stallard.

He saved the penalty, but then let the rebound through his legs.

Elvis made the difference in the second half though, he was all over the place.

Levi Porter looked pretty sweet to.

It's good to see that the academy lads played fairly well (from hearsay) and that Doddsy has his first team debut under wraps. Also good to see Weso back in action! Even more refreshing is that, the person who sounds like they changed the game - was no other than Elvis Hammond!

I'm not sure what people are calling a debut (I'd call it an appearance in a competative match), however if you want to include pre-season friendlies, Dodds played against Kettering in the 04/05 pre-season and against Kettering and Rushden & Diamonds in the 05/06 pre-season season.

Looking back at that, I still can't believe we had Mawene on trial and didn't pick him up, whereas we did go for Makin and Gemmill.

' date='Jul 24 2006, 10:50 PM' post='354936']

Haven't read the thread, I was at the match, but if it wasn't for Rab it would've been 1-0 at half time.

First goal was a shocker, he tips it over his own head, turns round and then rather than catch it, or scoop it away, which he had plenty of time to do he instead watches it bounce and then stumbles into the goal with the ball.

Second goal was excellent work by Lincoln and well finished by Scott Kerr.

Third goal was Rab taking out Stallard.

He saved the penalty, but then let the rebound through his legs.

Elvis made the difference in the second half though, he was all over the place.

Levi Porter looked pretty sweet to.

Thanks for that Alex. I'm chuffed to bits about Elvis and Levi. If he stays enthusiastic - like his life depends on every game he plays - Elvis could be a crowd favourite in the end and it is great to hear Levi seems to be coping with first team football.

Although he's only small there have been lots of Alan Ball's/ David Batty types and Levi is a genuine footballer, he really can play a bit and pick out a clever pass. He's a busy player, twists and turns on a sixpence but mainly he's the sort striker's love because if they make a run Levi has the skill to find them with the ball.

A player's player in many ways. In his later reserve days I likened him to Napoleon, the little general, and particularly remember when that Finnish international, Haapala, was on trial how he totally conducted midfield proceedings like he had his own blue shirted orchestra.

Like everyone he can have a bad day but he doesn't have lazy days. I remember him having a shocker when he first appeared in midfield and what impressed me then was that he never hid, he never copped out and left it to others. He just kept trying and trying to get things right.

Fortunately, and he was new to the job having played the football I saw on the wing before that, it was the only bad day I watched him have. The rest of the time he was basically a joy to watch a really exhuberant, enthusiastic player.

How did Weso, Sheehan and Doddsy fare?

I wonder why Fryatt didn't play at all? He's only played about 90 mins out of the 4 games we've played.

Glad to see O'Grady and Hammond scoring again, I still think they've got some way to go to oust both Fryatt and Hume but to have them in good form means we have other options if things aren't going our way.

I believe O'Grady will turn out to be a quality player at this level, I really do. His game has improved rapidly in just under a season and his confidence has soared as a result, which was one of his weaknesses. He's fastly moving up the ranks of being one my favourite players.

Nice to see the church of wesolian receiving some contributions last night, totally out of the blue. Hope Weso's fit to start the game against Sociedad on friday.

My team on friday would be:

Logan

Stearman

McCarthy

Kisnorbo/Kenton

Nissa

Maybury

Wesolowski

Johnson

Porter

Fryatt

O'Grady

Second half:

Logan

Stearman

McCarthy

McCauley

Sheehan

Low

Hughes

Williams

Porter

Fryatt

Hume

It's desperate that Porter seems to be many people's preferred option on the left wing.

He's not my preferred option as such, i'd just like to see him play with a strong first team against strong opposition to see how he gets on.

He's been consistently good for the reserves and youth team for 2 or 3 years now and he's impressed me, so it's games like the one on friday where he should get a chance to establish whether he has a future here or not.

Do you not rate the lad then?

Good for you Momo. Nice to sing your praises for once. What a comeback. Where's Manwell gone? :whistle::whistle:

Well thats the most contridictory statement ever isn't it.

Lets analyse Levi Porters pre season performance using the Thracian model. So thats 3 appearnces 0 goals and 0 assists. What a waste of space :P:thumbup: I thought wingers/midfielders were useless if they dont set up or score goals. On a serious note it sounds like he had a fairly good game, and I had an intresting conversation a few days ago about Levi with a friend of mine who does quite alot of reffering for our youth team. Still think he will struggle at championship level.....

I wish you'd stop going on about wins and "debuts" how well the youngsters are doing, 10 points from 12 and all that bollocks. These are friendly games, and were we playing in League Two I'd expect 12 points from 12 even if we were playing our soding reserve team. Friday night will be our first real test and hopefully we shall see something resembling the team that will start at Kenilworth road, Chris O'Grady pushing hume for a place seems very intresting, and I'd certainly hope Weso can try and claim a midfield starting place, prefferable instead of A certain Mr Williams who I think would be better suited on celebrity love Island.

Totally unconvinced by Josh Low. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reading a bit more closely it does sound like Rab has had another absloute shocker however I will say again Henderson is just as bad, IMO Rab's a better shot stopper, and he kicks a hell of alot better as well, he's problems are obviously his sparrow impressions and his tendancy to come off his line and nail any striker that gets past his back four. It may sound daft by Logan may be worth a go, Boston absloutley raved about him.

Well thats the most contridictory statement ever isn't it.

Lets analyse Levi Porters pre season performance using the Thracian model. So thats 3 appearnces 0 goals and 0 assists. What a waste of space :P:thumbup: I thought wingers/midfielders were useless if they dont set up or score goals. On a serious note it sounds like he had a fairly good game, and I had an intresting conversation a few days ago about Levi with a friend of mine who does quite alot of reffering for our youth team. Still think he will struggle at championship level.....

I wish you'd stop going on about wins and "debuts" how well the youngsters are doing, 10 points from 12 and all that bollocks. These are friendly games, and were we playing in League Two I'd expect 12 points from 12 even if we were playing our soding reserve team. Friday night will be our first real test and hopefully we shall see something resembling the team that will start at Kenilworth road, Chris O'Grady pushing hume for a place seems very intresting, and I'd certainly hope Weso can try and claim a midfield starting place, prefferable instead of A certain Mr Williams who I think would be better suited on celebrity love Island.

Totally unconvinced by Josh Low. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reading a bit more closely it does sound like Rab has had another absloute shocker however I will say again Henderson is just as bad, IMO Rab's a better shot stopper, and he kicks a hell of alot better as well, he's problems are obviously his sparrow impressions and his tendancy to come off his line and nail any striker that gets past his back four. It may sound daft by Logan may be worth a go, Boston absloutley raved about him.

Manwell, sorry to dampen your argument but Levi has set up atleast 2 goals so far possibly 3 from the reports i've read.

Ric, regarding Porter: I just think it's sad when a club our size has no-one decent to play in a particular position. Not even close to being a decent player. I leave Porter out of that because regardless of what others may say, you cannot judge a player by his performances at reserve level. At this time Porter is completely unproven in my opinion, I refuse to judge a player by their performances at any level other than week-to-week first team action. To my mind, Sheehan is still relatively unproven one way or the other because he has never really had an extended run in the first team. Stearman has obviously proven himself to be a top-class Championship defender. Weso is promising but has not proven anything over an extended period of time. Sorry, going a bit off topic here. Just wanting to lay down what I think makes you proven etc. Porter is an unknown quantity in my eyes - I've seen bits of his games for the reserves etc but if you watch a game like the Westerby Cup final, they all looked like world-beaters going forward. It's incredibly different in the Championship.

Porter may well be a brilliant player who makes a first-team berth his own. The thing is, we should never have to pitch him in at the deep end as a first choice player. And I doubt Kelly will. But he probably should cos Tiatto's that bad. But he shouldn't have to. And he probably won't. Know what I mean? :P:thumbup::D

Ric, regarding Porter: I just think it's sad when a club our size has no-one decent to play in a particular position. Not even close to being a decent player. I leave Porter out of that because regardless of what others may say, you cannot judge a player by his performances at reserve level. At this time Porter is completely unproven in my opinion, I refuse to judge a player by their performances at any level other than week-to-week first team action. To my mind, Sheehan is still relatively unproven one way or the other because he has never really had an extended run in the first team. Stearman has obviously proven himself to be a top-class Championship defender. Weso is promising but has not proven anything over an extended period of time. Sorry, going a bit off topic here. Just wanting to lay down what I think makes you proven etc. Porter is an unknown quantity in my eyes - I've seen bits of his games for the reserves etc but if you watch a game like the Westerby Cup final, they all looked like world-beaters going forward. It's incredibly different in the Championship.

Porter may well be a brilliant player who makes a first-team berth his own. The thing is, we should never have to pitch him in at the deep end as a first choice player. And I doubt Kelly will. But he probably should cos Tiatto's that bad. But he shouldn't have to. And he probably won't. Know what I mean? :P:thumbup::D

I agree in everything you say there. It is indeed shocking that he is probably classed by fans as our best left winger and he hasn't even played a first team game. I do think it would be good to give him 90 mins against Sociedad to see what he's like against good opposition.

I agree in everything you say there. It is indeed shocking that he is probably classed by fans as our best left winger and he hasn't even played a first team game. I do think it would be good to give him 90 mins against Sociedad to see what he's like against good opposition.

I agree. I think seeing as Kelly has pitched him into the first team for pre-season so far playing half and half with Tiatto really, he should go the whole hog and give him an hour or so against Sociedad. It effectively says: "I'm going to give you a chance this season, seize it". It would give Porter confidence and reassurance that he will get his chance properly and it would give the fans the chance to watch him against decent opposition.

I'm sure the mercury said that Porter had a hand in atleast 2 of the goals.

He may well of done but a assist is the last person to touch the ball before the striker scores, without the ball taking a considerable deflection off a defender, well thats what the statistics are based on, those being the same statistics a certain person uses at every oppurtunity to prove that our current wingers aren't up tp the task.

He may well of done but a assist is the last person to touch the ball before the striker scores, without the ball taking a considerable deflection off a defender, well thats what the statistics are based on, those being the same statistics a certain person uses at every oppurtunity to prove that our current wingers aren't up tp the task.

:D

What have some of our more senior players proved?

Douglas: he's getting older and he's getting worse. He didn't have a bad season but I never felt safe with him and he was so well protected (shots wise) that he was rarely exposed.

Nils is a slow-on-the-turn but reliable, committed and consistent defender. He's a poor passer who offers little going forward (except against Hull at home).

Tiatto is a busy determined spoiler who gives away too many free-kicks in dangerous places, often puts himself and the team under pressure by getting booked, seems injury prone and on the odd occasions he makes a telling move in attack is very rarely effective.

Maybury is a busy, solid full-back who covers well but only occasionally delivers penetrating passes in midfield. His shooting techique is okay but he is hardly noted for raining shots on goal or bursting through between the strikers.

Hughes is a steady-paced marathon runner who covers acres of ground pinching the ball and can usually be relied on to retain possession. But he's not an incisive passer or a goal threat.

Williams has skill. Few people question that. But he's an enigma. I think he works a bit harder than people give him credit for but the players around him hardly make the sort of runs which might see him shine. Whatever though he disappears for patches which can be quite lengthy whereas Porter doesn't. He's always busy.

Williams apart, all the "experiened" outfielders are essentially defensive or neutral players. I'm not saying any are bad players. You would be glad of any one or two of them in a team. But not all five. There's just not enough impact.

The club will never get promoted like that and the seats in the stadium will never get filled.

By and large the reserves were better to watch than the first team last season. You would never have said that when the first team of the 60's played, not on a single day. Then, the gulf was vast.

It is easy to suggest that the standard of reserve team football allows people to play but those same guys have been playing well enough for the first team too.

Elvis Hammond is an example. He looked a good player in the reserves just as he has in the first team lately. So did O'Grady. So did Porter and Dodds. But Sylla, Tiatto and Douglas didn't. Quality is quality wherever it turns out and sooner or later you have to show belief in these people if you want to go forward.

If what we presently have was brilliant there would be no question of bringing anyone in other than gradually but we threatened to get relegated last season and were never vaguelly brilliant except against Sheffield United at home. Even against Spurs we should have been dead and buried by half-time.

I don't actually think any of the reserves, ie Hammond, O'Grady, Porter, Sheehan, Wesolowski and Dodds are the finished article but I do think they offer more than what we've got in situ right now. In fact, when I read that list of names I'm quite heartened for the future. There's some real football in that lot.

He definitely set up Low's goal against Boston, not sure about the Stockport game.

And he won the free kick for Williams goal as I recall then supplied the pass which Dodds thought he'd got the winner from against Lincoln only to be denied by a spectacular save. No matter. Porter's always making goals just as Manwell always loves to wind me up :):):)

And while we're on the subject of wind up when have referees ever known anything about football.They are usually referees because they were no bloody good at playing. :)

Archived