Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Lincoln Match

And he won the free kick for Williams goal as I recall then supplied the pass which Dodds thought he'd got the winner from against Lincoln only to be denied by a spectacular save. No matter. Porter's always making goals just as Manwell always loves to wind me up :):):)

And while we're on the subject of wind up when have referees ever known anything about football.They are usually referees because they were no bloody good at playing. :)

I've not even told you what he said :D

And he won the free kick for Williams goal as I recall then supplied the pass which Dodds thought he'd got the winner from against Lincoln only to be denied by a spectacular save. No matter. Porter's always making goals just as Manwell always loves to wind me up :):):)

And while we're on the subject of wind up when have referees ever known anything about football.They are usually referees because they were no bloody good at playing. :)

It was hardly spectacular lol he just managed to get a quick hand to the ball and stop it from rolling in :D

Not trying to take anything from dodds as he played well and it was ncie to see someone turning and running at the defenders :D

I'm not sure how porter would do against championship oposition and he would proably get muscled out of the ball alot of the time, when he's given time and space though he can run at the full backs and pick out a good pass. If he was to play in the league I would bring him on last 20ish minutes when the defenders are tireing and see if he's upto it.

There's not many player ratings about so I thought the ratings and comments of a new poster, Ryanb on Talking Balls, might be of interest.

douglas: 1- would be 0 if he hadnt have saved the penalty he gave away.

gerrbrand: 6- did ok

mcauley: 6-good in the air, but slow, signs of matt elliot

kisnorbo: 6- poor first half like everyone else, but handled the game better as it went on

sheenan:6- again okay, good prospect

low:5- looks like he has good pace, but had a bad game

williams: 6- average

hughes: 7- made things happen in the second half

porter: 6- very pacey, good things to come

hume: 5- worked hard but did nothing

o'grady:7- similar to hume in first half, but second half with hammond looked like a new player, i would imagine we will see a lot of him this season

subs

logan: 6- had to do nothing, but felt more confident with him in goal than douglas

sylla: 7-gave lincoln some problems, need to see more of this kind of performace

wesolowski:6-made a few challenges, can see why he gets injured a lot!

hammond: 7- soon as he came on we scored 2, breath of fresh air, but was quite unpredictable at times

dodds: 6-like porter, looks a nice prospect

There's not many player ratings about so I thought the ratings and comments of a new poster, Ryanb on Talking Balls, might be of interest.

douglas: 1- would be 0 if he hadnt have saved the penalty he gave away.

gerrbrand: 6- did ok

mcauley: 6-good in the air, but slow, signs of matt elliot

kisnorbo: 6- poor first half like everyone else, but handled the game better as it went on

sheenan:6- again okay, good prospect

low:5- looks like he has good pace, but had a bad game

williams: 6- average

hughes: 7- made things happen in the second half

porter: 6- very pacey, good things to come

hume: 5- worked hard but did nothing

o'grady:7- similar to hume in first half, but second half with hammond looked like a new player, i would imagine we will see a lot of him this season

subs

logan: 6- had to do nothing, but felt more confident with him in goal than douglas

sylla: 7-gave lincoln some problems, need to see more of this kind of performace

wesolowski:6-made a few challenges, can see why he gets injured a lot!

hammond: 7- soon as he came on we scored 2, breath of fresh air, but was quite unpredictable at times

dodds: 6-like porter, looks a nice prospect

I think that's a sound and fair review of the players :thumbup:

I would give rab 4 though because he did catch some crosses and he gets 2 bonus points for being great entertainment value :D

Was a decent nights entertainment last night but for 45 minutes all I could think about was going home. Rab Douglas should either rot in the reserves or never pull on a City shirt again after last night, the errors that he made were laughable, particularly the first goal and he did virtually nothing right. If thats how much he wants the number 1 spot then he can **** off.

The defence minus McCarthy looked weak and easily exposed, Gerrbrand is no right back and Sheehan looked dodgy at times, Kisnorbo and Mcauley suffered as a result of that, however Mcauley reminds me a lot of Matt Heath with his aimless headers and hoofball.

Positives I could see was Levi Porter looks to have potential to challenge for a regular place on the left wing if he continues the way he played 2nd half, a good touch, good speed and vision too. Hughes looked much better in the centre 2nd half but Williams was reluctant to get stuck in, wether thats lazyness or down to not wanting to risk injury in a friendly I dont know. Elvis Hammond changed the game, Lincoln couldnt cope with his movement and ability to turn, something that O'Grady is lacking at the moment, seemingly happy to play with his back to goal. Sylla was surprisingly very good, taking up good positions on the wing but not often found but when on the ball looked to run at the full back and played some decent passes/crosses.

Overall a decent fightback but much still to be done, the right wing is a problem, Josh Low was poor last night with no real positive signs to me, he looks lightweight in the tackle and lazy also as Northampton fans warned us of. Louis Dodds however impressed me a lot and i'd expect him to be ahead of De Vries in the pecking order.

Douglas's goal was situated quite close to the refreshments van so i'd imagine the whiff of Burgers and Hot Dogs took his mind off keeping Lincoln out. Maybe he'll come good at Luton, the way I feel about him right now though he can go for all I care.

Guest Gist

Douglas's goal was situated quite close to the refreshments van so i'd imagine the whiff of Burgers and Hot Dogs took his mind off keeping Lincoln out. Maybe he'll come good at Luton, the way I feel about him right now though he can go for all I care.

lol I'm sure that is why

Douglas - 4 - Wasn't actually that bad apart from the error for the first goal.. the penalty he gave away wasn't really his fault, the guy was clear through on goal, and he did save it.. that said, he has probably just thrown away any chance of being number one this season.

Gerrbrand - 5 - Didn't notice him much. Not a right back at all; clearly his days are numbered here if he's being shoved here to give him a few match minutes in friendlies.

McAuly - 6 - Really dominates in the air, fairly no nonsense; I like him. Slow though.

Kisnorbo - 6 - Standard. Poor first half along with the others.

Sheehan - 5 - Another substandard performance. For someone who gets hyped up so much by a couple of people here he's never been able to make the step up from reserve team level. Shame really as we could do with a left back; certainly not the answer yet again on this showing.

Low - 5 - Uninspiring. On this showing looks to be another Paul Brooker - useless.

Williams - 5 - As expected; average.

Hughes - 7 - Very good in the second half. Stood out in midfield.

Porter - 6 - Impressed. Will be part of the first team picture this season.

Hume - 5 - Very substandard. Huffed and puffed but no product to speak of. In his defence, everybody was useless in the first half.

O'Grady - 7 - Very good first half. Looks a really good player. Seems to have something most lack - seems to care about the team.

Logan - 5 - Had nothing to do whatsoever. Probably touched the ball twice.

Sylla - 6 - Surprise. Showed how poor Low was. Played really well for a seemingly forgotton man.

Wesolowski - 6 - Committed. Good to see him back. Didn't have much impact but certainly his injuries havn't stopped him jumping into tackles.

Hammond - 7 - Fast, ran at defenders - I like him. Looks much more confident than last season.

Dodds - 6 - Didn't really do much but didn't exactly look afraid of the step up.

Interesting that Lincoln used a 4-3-3 system to get three first half goals against City and had a midfielder in Lee Frecklington who has scored four goals in pre-season so far.

I say interesting because we keep persisting with 4-4-2 when we don't seem to have any really effective wingers. And we still don't score many from midfield.

Interesting that Lincoln used a 4-3-3 system to get three first half goals against City and had a midfielder in Lee Frecklington who has scored four goals in pre-season so far.

I say interesting because we keep persisting with 4-4-2 when we don't seem to have any really effective wingers. And we still don't score many from midfield.

Last night Hughes and Williams didnt know what they were doing first half, neither could push forward because they didnt know which one was going to stay back, with someone like Wesolowski or Johnson in there hopefully this will sort it out and they will get forward to have more chance. Hughes had a decent effort on goal and Williams can get goals, we do need something in the wide positions, Porter looked eager to get forward, possibly putting Hammond on the right may solve some problems? We shall see.

The idea of Hammond on the right seems to be gaining some momentum. But with a three man strikeforce or as one of four in midfield - or does it matter?

I always feel the idea of using a winger in midfield gives the worst of both worlds. They are not really midfielders and their attacking threat is blunted because they waste their explosive energy elsewhere.

None of our recent wingers have been really effective including Low, Sylla, Welsh (who was not so bad) and Ryan Smith but you have to ask whether it's because they were all asked to do two jobs.

But I'd be interested in what you and the rest of the forum thinks.

The idea of Hammond on the right seems to be gaining some momentum. But with a three man strikeforce or as one of four in midfield - or does it matter?

I always feel the idea of using a winger in midfield gives the worst of both worlds. They are not really midfielders and their attacking threat is blunted because they waste their explosive energy elsewhere.

None of our recent wingers have been really effective including Low, Sylla, Welsh (who was not so bad) and Ryan Smith but you have to ask whether it's because they were all asked to do two jobs.

But I'd be interested in what you and the rest of the forum thinks.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Give him a fookin chance.

He hasn't even played competative game yet.

Well how can Thracian say that as one of our recent wingers, he hasn't been effective.

Because he wants Levi Porter to play as part of his evil mastermind plan to fill the team full of tumble tots.

I don't know alot about Josh Low at all, I barely knew he existed, I just though of him of a basic League Two player and the very few Northampton Town games of seen over the 3 odd years there he's been there never really changed my opinion. In fact as I said I hardly noticed him. Maybe they were all "off games"

So I do sort of agree with Thracian on this Josh Low doesn't really strike me as a world beater.

Elvis Hammond should not be played at right wing. The man can't take a player on and his crossing as far as I can remember isn't exactly quality either, just like his shooting. He's a striker, now if he's not good enough to play for us as a striker then unfortunately he needs to be moved on. He might have pace, but when he gets the ball that pace disappears.

O'Grady is far more suited to being used as a wide player if needed as he is strong on the ball, can take a player on and can cross the ball. He's also getting better in the air, which is also useful if played wider as full-backs are invariably smaller than centre halves. That said, he also should be concerntrating on playing upfront.

Elvis Hammond should not be played at right wing. The man can't take a player on and his crossing as far as I can remember isn't exactly quality either, just like his shooting. He's a striker, now if he's not good enough to play for us as a striker then unfortunately he needs to be moved on. He might have pace, but when he gets the ball that pace disappears.

O'Grady is far more suited to being used as a wide player if needed as he is strong on the ball, can take a player on and can cross the ball. He's also getting better in the air, which is also useful if played wider as full-backs are invariably smaller than centre halves. That said, he also should be concerntrating on playing upfront.

Hammonds is having a good pre-season but I remember Dublin having a good pre-season last year and he didn't really shine when it mattered. maybe he just can't handle the mental pressure when it counts, anyhow i'm just glad we have 2 or 3 very able strikers, ahead of him, barring injuries he will only get a cameo role this season!!!

Let's not forget that all 3 of Elvis's goals have been from less than 6 yards out. Now I know that shouldn't matter as most of Lineker's goals were from that distance, but he needs to score more than 3 tap ins against League 2 opposition to convince me he's worth ousting Fryatt, Hume or O'Grady in the team.

Because he wants Levi Porter to play as part of his evil mastermind plan to fill the team full of tumble tots.

I don't know alot about Josh Low at all, I barely knew he existed, I just though of him of a basic League Two player and the very few Northampton Town games of seen over the 3 odd years there he's been there never really changed my opinion. In fact as I said I hardly noticed him. Maybe they were all "off games"

So I do sort of agree with Thracian on this Josh Low doesn't really strike me as a world beater.

Carefull Manwell. I don't know if I can cope with you agreeing with me. :):)

I would have no objection to that at all. But does that mean you'd go 4-3-3 and who would you choose in midfield?

Let's not forget that all 3 of Elvis's goals have been from less than 6 yards out. Now I know that shouldn't matter as most of Lineker's goals were from that distance, but he needs to score more than 3 tap ins against League 2 opposition to convince me he's worth ousting Fryatt, Hume or O'Grady in the team.

I'm delighted with that/He couldn't score from short range last season cos he always wanted to bust the net.

Archived