Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Newcastle_Fox

Luton Match Thread

The results at the end of last season were good but they hid the same weaknesses we had all season

1 can't defend set pieces

2 don't create anything from wide areas.

3 goalkeepers who can't kick and distribute the ball from defence

4 no quality left sided players

5 play hoofball in the air to two talented but vertically challenged strikers

6 can't pass to a player on our own side for more than 3 consecutive passes.

7 don't look like we can score more than 1 possibly 2 goals per game maximum.

so given the close season and the summer transfer activity on the evidence of admitedly 1 game what has changed?

Nothing.

have to wonder why our pre season involved playing teams of modest ability perhaps to prepare us for playinf such teams on a regular basis.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

who was the 3rd defender?

we signed 2 McAuley and Kenton, Low and Johnson are MIDFIELDERS

Sorry. Johnson is essentially a defender. He sits in front of defence spraying short passes, fairly safely and competently. My friend, a lifelong West Brom fan, rates him highly but says he rarely scores or supports the attack as such. So another to supplement Maybury/Tiatto.

Sorry. Johnson is essentially a defender. He sits in front of defence spraying short passes, fairly safely and competently. My friend, a lifelong West Brom fan, rates him highly but says he rarely scores or supports the attack as such. So another to supplement Maybury/Tiatto.

So by your reasoning Claude Makelele is also a defender? :blink:

A defender that'sbeen instrumental in leading Chelsea to the title, no less.

I'm just adding fuel to the flames here, I can't be bothered to read the whole thread.

I just came on and read the last few posts.

I'm not even sure if the title makes sense.

My reasoning doesn't involve Makelele at all - and Makele may have been excellent but he was also surrounded by excellence.

I like Johnson as a player but he's essentially a player who gives the ball so someone else can make the telling passes, which would be fine if we had anyone.

He doesn't score goals or create goals and we have far too many players who fall into that category.

Why is it so difficult to get that across to some people?

i dont feel this because we lost today, i felt this even when we were winning under him last season. and we could of got rid of him. forest went on a great run under their care-taker manager but still bought in Calderwood and now they are looking very good for promotion. derby also went on a decent run when they had a care-taker manager, didnt stop them from appointing a very promising manager in Billy Davies, even if they didnt have the money i would put my money on them finishing above us.

Forest looking good for promotion? Bold statement after just one game, almost as mad as those predicting our doom after one game!!

Derbys run didn't compare to ours under Kelly in the slightest!! That is the reasoning behind them going for an already established manager. The reason they got Davies is because he was promised cash, did you not think of that? Without the money they would of ended up with someone second rate, just as we would have as that's all we can afford and attract with the finances available.

On another note... where do you think Davies started off? He was an assistant manager and someone gave the guy a chance. He did well, so they extended his stay. I'm sure there were Preston fans at the beginning asking what the hell was going on, why aren't we getting a proven manager!! By the end i'd bet they were gutted he left after what he did for them. I'm sure Watford fans are also pretty happy they gave an assistant manager a chance.

Yesterday Williams seem to be the one that played deeper out of him and Johnson.

But Williams was trying to be creative.

Think back - how many times can you recall Leicester City putting a move together which disrupted their defence and resulted in a shot.

It just didn't happen.

A good football team has players with different strengths combining for greatest effect. Our trouble is that we're missing an extraordinary number of component parts considering how long RK's been doing the job.

this is only 1 game ok we played awful but lets not start saying this match shapes are season,im not saying that we are going to do the same,but didnt reading lose on the opening day of last season?the season has a long way to go yet! things need to change ie no tiatto and maybury.me perosnally would give sylla one last chance and make sure he attacks the oppistion left back and attempts to go round them. also give williams the freedom to go forward and suplly balls for Hume and Fryatt. beacuse this is what we lacked yesterday. finally i just want to say all the fans need to be behind the team on tuesday and create an atmosphere to inspire us to beat burnley! remember Foxes Never Quit!

''I warned - in fact I've warned for months - that you cannot play TWO defenders as wide players. One, just about, but two is ridiculous and the proof of the pudding was that Maybury did sod all.''

in response to the opening comment i couldnt agree more.

i happen to think the maybury and stearman right side link up play works really well and played a contribution towards last seasons revival however, we still need at least one 'flair' type player on a flank.

tiatto is not the answer. in fact he is not a footballer we should just have to tolerate playing for the city just cos we've got no money.

Nah he was definitely signed as a left winger. He played left wing for Man City and has played the vast, vast majority of his games for us on the left wing. I certainly don't think he is the answer at left back.

under keegan at city they played 3-5-2 so he played as a wing back

Posted by PDS on another forum.

Richard Stearman was obviously distraught with his performance yesterday because last night he was absolutely pissed in Life with Wesowlowski,Porter and Sheehan.

Archived