Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Newcastle_Fox

Luton Match Thread

If you think we should play every game with 7 players constantly attacking then you're more unrealistic than I realised.

You make it sound like we used play like **** Brazil! We've always been a scrappy team, and I think you're the only one who seems to remember a time when we were known for our fast, beautiful free flowing neat passing all out attack football.

To say you've already had enough of Kelly is pathetic. We did well under him last season and after the first game of this season you're ready to give him the sack? Get a **** grip mate. We havn't got the players to play the kind of football you want to see. If the likes of Porter and Sheehan are as good as you think they are, then why isn't everybody else as sure as you are that they should be playing?

Yes, we were absolutely shit today and are going to need to improve on that performance a lot, but it doesn't mean we're doomed, it doesn't mean we're going to get relegated, it doesn't mean it will happen every game, and it doesn't mean we still can't do better than we did last season.

What I find so hypocritical is that you want Kelly out after 1 game this season where we have been crap, and yet you want to see Mike Stowell take over because of one good performance from a youth team in a friendly against bloody Hinckley!

So many people here just seem to love complaining, and you seem to be the main culprit. Yes, if things aren't going right, as fans sure we have every right to communicate our disappointment. However, writing off our whole season and saying the manager isn't good enough because of one game is pure idiocy.

But you have to give Rob Kelly time, one game doesn't make the season which is true

It does for some people... on here after the Southampton cup game (his first game in charge) certain people were ready to get rid of him after that game. Well he saved our bloody necks then, so give him fair chance.

If anybody's interested read Brian Reades Article in today's Mirror about Ian Hollway in which he describes people who regualarly complain as BMW''s ( Bitches, Moaners,Whingers). Maybe some of the more disgruntled fans should go round to RK''s house for a chat if there brave enough. Not that i am recommending anyone should.

If you think we should play every game with 7 players constantly attacking then you're more unrealistic than I realised.

You make it sound like we used play like **** Brazil! We've always been a scrappy team, and I think you're the only one who seems to remember a time when we were known for our fast, beautiful free flowing neat passing all out attack football.

To say you've already had enough of Kelly is pathetic. We did well under him last season and after the first game of this season you're ready to give him the sack? Get a **** grip mate. We havn't got the players to play the kind of football you want to see. If the likes of Porter and Sheehan are as good as you think they are, then why isn't everybody else as sure as you are that they should be playing?

Yes, we were absolutely shit today and are going to need to improve on that performance a lot, but it doesn't mean we're doomed, it doesn't mean we're going to get relegated, it doesn't mean it will happen every game, and it doesn't mean we still can't do better than we did last season.

What I find so hypocritical is that you want Kelly out after 1 game this season where we have been crap, and yet you want to see Mike Stowell take over because of one good performance from a youth team in a friendly against bloody Hinckley!

So many people here just seem to love complaining, and you seem to be the main culprit. Yes, if things aren't going right, as fans sure we have every right to communicate our disappointment. However, writing off our whole season and saying the manager isn't good enough because of one game is pure idiocy.

In relation to the seven players I don't expect that sort of football constantly at all and I am NOT sure about Sheehan and Porter, or indeed Gradel and Dodds.

What I am sure of is we need a change of emphasis. We CANNOT be so unbalanced and we CANNOT have so many round pegs in square holes. We need to play to our players strengths and, right now, we have no wingers, one (off form) attacking full-back and little that's creative in attack.

I have seen all of our alternatives, and given that we have no money and do not look like selling someone like Stearman, then the only remaining option is to consider the younger players in our squad.

Wesolowski's not ready and it is clearly ridiculopus to play too many at once.

For instance Gradel is our best natural winger - and a serious goalscoring threat as well - but he has no experience.

Given the poor alternatives I would therefor look first to our strengths.

Fryatt, Hume, O'Grady. Why leave any of those players out when both Hume and O'Grady are perfectly able to play in other parts of the field.

But they need support and there's the catch. We have very little ceative support. Porter is capable but is he ready. I don't know because he's never had the chance but I do know he can thread the sort of balls through that those strikers might enjoy.

Anyway, this is what I'd do to effect the change of emphasis without making too many changes and bearing in mind that some players will still recovering from today come Tuesday.

Henderson;

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

Porter, Johnson, Tiatto;

O'Grady, Fryatt, Hume.

Subs: Nils, Maybury. Gradel, Hammond, Dodds.

To me the right side three and left side three are fairly natural links, there is good passing, people who are familiar with each other's style and there are potential goals from perhaps eight players without sacrificing reasonable defensive capability.

The substittues can maintain the balance and there'll be width from two full-backs, one forward, and even two midfielders.

Everyone is in a natural position and we retain one rottweiler who, were it me, would be under no illusions what was expected but who can naturally fill that roll more creatively than Maybury, however frustrated he makes me. And he can cover for Sheehan going forward.

So long as Porter is there to give the astute passes I don't mind any two from Hughes, Johnson, Tiatto filling those midfield berths.

Henderson

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

Porter, Johnson, Tiatto;

O'Grady, Fryatt, Hume.

Subs: Nils, Maybury. Gradel, Hammond, Dodds.

After that game I would be willing to let some of the youngsters play, if they are going to show a passion for us like O grady did. Take tiatto out of that team and put in williams. And swap porter with hughes, with porter replacing gradel on the bench.

May aswell just go for it, we dont look like keeping clean sheets with 6 defenders, so lets go out to score more than we concede :D

kelly record last season

played 16, 28 points!

and now you're slagging him off after one game when he saved us last time out.

it was very very poor today, but come on let's give the man a chance.

I was very keen on his appointment because I believed he would take us forward, attack more and show a bit of imagination.

I started having my doubts when he stuck to the Chosen Men at the end of last season - and said so - yet now he just seems to be continuing his closed shop.

I'm sick of it. Kelly saved us and got some decent results but not once has the team played inspiring football.

And the exagerrated pre-occupation with defence is the reason. Long term that approach won't help us

as I thought we might have learned from the England debacle.

Babylon might have pointed out that my attack on Kelly after the Southampton Cup match was for similar reasons to today. We didn't score and didn't really try to score. A potentially great occasion became a defensive bore.

Since then RK seems to have learned nothing.

Meanwhile my middle son is a Southampton fan and has been chirping non-stop at the optimism down there. He says a friendly against Panathanaikos attracted 20,000-odd thousand and the fans reckon George Burley is the business with capital letters. He's quiickly cleared the dross and there is great expectations all round.

Oh yes and he's a big believer in young players people like Nathan Dyer, Andrew Surman, Gareth Bale and Chris Baird, David McGoldrick etc. Different situation certainly (cos they got a lot of money from a youth player!) but you know we're in trouble when Babylon starts grumbling so early on.

I was very keen on his appointment because I believed he would take us forward, attack more and show a bit of imagination.

I started having my doubts when he stuck to the Chosen Men last season - and said so - and now he just seems to be continuing his closed shop.

I'm sick of it. Kelly saved us and got some decent results but not once has the team played inspiring football.

And the exagerrated pre-occupation with defence is the reason. Long term that stupid approach won't work as I thought we might have learned from the England debacle.

There's nothing wrong about a pre-occupation with defence, Thracian. Greece and Italy won both the Euro and World Cups by making less talented players better teams by focussing on just that.

kelly record last season

played 16, 28 points!

This is football. Things can change very quickly. We need to FORGET about last season and years under MON this is the here and now and we need to deal with the situation we are in.

My team for Burnley:

Henderson

Stearman - McCarthy - McCauley - Kenton

Low - Johnson - Williams - Porter/Hughes

O'Grady - Fryatt

I'd go:

Henderson

Stearman - McCarthy - Kisnorbo - Johansson

Low - Johnson - Williams - Hughes

O'Grady - Fryatt

Subs: Logan, Kenton, Hume, Maybury, Wesolowski

Hard to disagree with a lot of what you say,lets hope Kelly is better than Levein at admitting his mistakes.

Please because to me that was Levein's biggest failing.

I'd go:

Anyone who cares

Anyone who cares - Anyone who cares - Anyone who cares - Anyone who cares

Anyone who cares - Anyone who cares

Subs: Anyone who cares, Anyone who cares, Anyone who cares, Anyone who cares, Elivs

quick question... if aston villa can bring in a quality manager like MON when they are as sh*t as they are atm and they're in as much trouble as they currently are, why didn't we try and bring him back?

kelly record last season

played 16, 28 points!

Fine we praise him for last season but he has to accept responsibility for this season. ;):thumbup:

I'd go:

Anyone who cares

Anyone who cares - Anyone who cares

Subs: Anyone who cares, Anyone who cares, Anyone who cares, Anyone who cares, Elivs

:clap::clap::clap:

quick question... if aston villa can bring in a quality manager like MON when they are as sh*t as they are atm and they're in as much trouble as they currently are, why didn't we try and bring him back?

Oh please

WE WERE fock ING SHHHIIII I TE

SHIT ON THE VILLA SHIT ON THE VILLA TONIGHT SHIT ON THE VILLA SHIT ON THE VILLA TONIGHT

WE ARE fock IN SHIII III IIITE

How anyone can want to drop Kenton is beyond me. This lack of attacking flair begins at the back with the pointless hoofs down the flanks by Stearman, Johansson and McCarthy - whereas Kenton was actually trying to bring the ball out of defence and use it.

Exactly - Kenton was one of our better players, he hardly put a foot wrong from where I was sitting in Kenilworth Road.

The only reason I 'dropped' him was because Kisnorbo and McCarthy have a good understanding as CBs, I'm not convinced Kenton can play LB and I think Stearman deserves another chance at RB.... perhaps that's a bit harsh on Kenton, but really I don't think anyone played well today... just my opinion.

My team for Burnley:

Henderson

Stearman - McCarthy - McCauley - Kenton

Low - Johnson - Williams - Porter/Hughes

O'Grady - Fryatt

I would drop Stearman on the back of that performance, and make him fight for his place. Both of the Luton goals came from mistakes by him.

Good to see no Tiatto in that line up though. He gave the ball away so cheaply and was a liability. RK's best decision of the afternoon was to take him off.

OVERALL, THERE IS NOT A PLAYER IN THE WHOLE TEAM THAT HAS FLAIR. JOEY HAD IT, MUZZY CERTAINLY HAD IT (MAY REGRET SAYING IT) BUT EVEN SAVAGE HAD SOME. YOU CAN SEE SOME IN HUME THOUGH.

I KNOW WE DONT HAVE THE MONEY BUT ATLEAST LOOK INTO IT. MAYBE AND HOPEFULLY PLAYERS LIKE WESO AND LEVI COULD HELP US IN THIS WAY IN THE FUTURE BUT MAY NOT BE READY JUST YET.

Archived