Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

Does anybody know a good site for university books? I found some random pdfs of full fledge booked worth like 30 quid, wondering if there was a site out there that is good on them.

Amazon or Ebay. I bought a load of my uni books from the two or try your unversity second hand bookshop.

• 1 month later...

Wow, finally found this thread on page 9. Has nobody read anything since February? :unsure:

Anyway, just reading this...

%7B24168643-5E3F-497D-A948-8BEC7B3D80CC%7DImg100.jpg

and whilst I'm enjoying it, it's quite weird. Holmes is both terribly egocentrical AND willing to help the lowest of the low - despite his upper middle-class trappings he's far more liable to believe the bog-cleaner whilst the police (usually in the form of Lestrade) will dismiss the word of the working class against the word of the gentrified. I find it a very strange counterpoint. Also Holmes' view of women are both quite modern (he doesn't talk down to them or think them any more stupid than men) and also old-fashioned (he implies a lot of "women's intuition" to situations involving the fairer sex.)

Of course it's worth remembering that this is crime fiction over 100 years old, so many of the solutions to the crimes are ones that have been plagerised many times since - there's little brain work needs to be done to work out each case if you've watched many crime thrillers or read books in the genre. But they are very well written and plotted. Nicely paced and a great insight to end of the 19th Century England. One of my favourites was The Case of the Orange Pips where the murder victim had recieved a threatening letter just before he died signed KKK. Yes, the answer really was that simple. Evidently, back in those days their reputation was not greatly known over here.

In contrast to THAT I gave up reading this...

515P9ohF%2B%2BL._SS500_.jpg

I was finding it SUCH hard work. I'm guessing it's supposed to be humourous, but basically it sticks closely to the original book (though I've never read that, just seen film/TV adaptations) and inserts the undead here and there... which in itself isn't funny, it's just lazy. Laziest of all (and the point that I decided I would give up) was the point that they were on a country lane and animals were startled out of the woods by zombies. What's wrong with that you might ask? Well the animals were chipmunks and skunks. The author hadn't even bothered to have a quick check of what kind of woodland creature would likely be in Britain, and picked two that are only found in America. :rolleyes:

I didn't bother reading further.

I finished this last week and it's excellent stuff. I'd give it a good 80% rating.

jzwsqx.jpg

I've read quite alot of Pratchett and had this on my shelf for a while but didn't read it for ages because I didn't think it sounded like one of his best. Oh I was wrong, it's a craaaaaaacker. I love the way Pratchett's cities are run by the powers that be and the secret societies. I think he's got it spot on and it's fascinating :D

I also had the dvd but saved that to watch until I'd finished the book. The dvd is good, but nowhere near as good as the book as there are many changes and lots of great bits omitted. So if you've already seen the tv version I would still recommend reading the book.

I finished this last week and it's excellent stuff. I'd give it a good 80% rating.

jzwsqx.jpg

I've read quite alot of Pratchett and had this on my shelf for a while but didn't read it for ages because I didn't think it sounded like one of his best. Oh I was wrong, it's a craaaaaaacker. I love the way Pratchett's cities are run by the powers that be and the secret societies. I think he's got it spot on and it's fascinating :D

I also had the dvd but saved that to watch until I'd finished the book. The dvd is good, but nowhere near as good as the book as there are many changes and lots of great bits omitted. So if you've already seen the tv version I would still recommend reading the book.

It so much like the real postal service it's unreal!

My favourite Discworld books are Going Postal and The Truth, possibly because I've been involved in both those areas (postie and journalist). Until I deviated onto Conan Doyle I was working my way through the Discworld books chronologically, and got as far as Thief of Time before needing a break. I've already read most of them so the more recent ones are fresher in the mind so I might skip to Making Money and Unseen Academicals as the only ones I haven't read yet.

The essential Spike Milligan

A collection of goon show scripts, Q scripts, limericks, poems, war stories and other bits and bobs from one of the greatest comedians the world has ever known.

This gets the TLB seal of approval! :thumbup:

It so much like the real postal service it's unreal!

My favourite Discworld books are Going Postal and The Truth, possibly because I've been involved in both those areas (postie and journalist). Until I deviated onto Conan Doyle I was working my way through the Discworld books chronologically, and got as far as Thief of Time before needing a break. I've already read most of them so the more recent ones are fresher in the mind so I might skip to Making Money and Unseen Academicals as the only ones I haven't read yet.

I only worked as a postie for a short while but I thought he got it spot on too from what little I knew!

I wish I'd of started reading them chronologically to see how the characters have developed, but I'm all over the place with which ones I've read so there's no point in me starting from the older ones now! I've not read The Truth so I might start that one next. I'm halfway through Pyramids at the moment, which is excellent so far and I think is the first one I've read with Teppic in. Not sure if he's in any others.

Vetinari, Rincewind and Sam Vimes are three of my all time favourite characters from any fiction novels. And many of the other characters in these books are up there aswell.

I heard that one or two of his books are about to be made into big budget films but I can't remember which ones. I hope they do a good job and it's not a let down!

Just had a gander at this on Amazon. Sounds pretty good. But it's £91!!

I always wonder why this is because sometimes I read about a book I want, then go to Amazon to check it out and the price ranges from £75 - £250! What's that all about?

Surely they can make a cheaper version for us folk on average wages!

There's always the American site. $109 at the moment. They sell it for more than double that over here in the regular bookstores.

Bargain. thumbsup.gif

Might have to wait till it comes down in price. haha

I always wonder why this is because sometimes I read about a book I want, then go to Amazon to check it out and the price ranges from £75 - £250! What's that all about?

What about barely any wages? lol

And £250?!!! :o

I wouldn't mind a paperback version of Liber Novus myself, but Jung did some really impressive paintings and created something like his own private bible in a truly gorgeous lettering.

That's why the book is so big. I mean, you're looking at 40x30x5 centimetres!!

I wouldn't mind a paperback version of Liber Novus myself, but Jung did some really impressive paintings and created something like his own private bible in a truly gorgeous lettering.

That's why the book is so big. I mean, you're looking at 40x30x5 centimetres!!

Ah, I can understand why something like that would fetch big money! I didn't know that Jung was also an artist. I would love to have a look through it.

Can you actually buy cheaper paperback versions in normal print?

I've just read the wiki page about the book and came across this line - "Until 2001, his heirs denied scholars access to the book, which he began after a falling-out with Sigmund Freud in 1913." If that is true does anyone know why they denied access to the book for so long?

What about barely any wages? lol

And £250?!!! :o

Barely any wages is a better description of what I meant!

Yeah £250 for a book is way out of my league, I reckon it's a conspiracy to keep the really important and valuable information away from the masses. :D

Barely any wages is a better description of what I meant!

Yeah £250 for a book is way out of my league, I reckon it's a conspiracy to keep the really important and valuable information away from the masses. :D

Haha i reckon you may be onto something there. Never really thought about it like that. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Bugger, just posted in another book topic, but this seems to be the trendy, upmarket and popular one..so ill re-post here too :)

An incredibly beautifully crafted book, that you couldnt imagine coming from an airport, except that its written by De Botton.

tumblr_l9up8yJhHJ1qbk98go1_500.jpg

An entertaining if somewhat confusing wander through the music world..but all with a "needless to say i had the last laugh" Partridge feel about it.

gods-gangsters-honour-.jpg

• 3 years later...

Just started this.

51hfkmtb7YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's always been a bit of sex in Wilbur Smith's books but he's rather graphic in this. unsure.gif

Don't bother , it's sickening.

Harlan Coben - Caught.

Good read.

I think I've read most of his stuff (including his teen fiction :blush: ). Good writer. 

Archived