Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

I've been given some old books by an author named Harlan Coben. Only read 1 so far but I'm impressed. Tough detective type fiction with snappy dialogue and a sporting (American) background.

I've been given some old books by an author named Harlan Coben. Only read 1 so far but I'm impressed. Tough detective type fiction with snappy dialogue and a sporting (American) background.

Webbo,

Harlan does the series of novels with Byron Molitar as the sports journo/detective which I have not really got into.

He also has written around 6-7 stand alone novels which are truly great.... Try: this link: http://www.harlancoben.com/static/novels/

Favourites are:

Tell No One

Gone For Good

Play Dead

Just One Look

The Woods

Webbo,

Harlan does the series of novels with Byron Molitar as the sports journo/detective which I have not really got into.

He also has written around 6-7 stand alone novels which are truly great.... Try: this link: http://www.harlancoben.com/static/novels/

I've just read the first Myron Bolitar book and I've got another 3 to go. Once I've got into an author I usually have to read all their books so I'm sure I'll read them eventually. :thumbup:

Recently finished Unseen Academicals (Terry Pratchett) A true reflection of the football scene :)

Started a book called Screwed. Its a non-fiction book written by a prison officer telling what life is like in prisons from his perspective. He says nobody outside realises how bad the system is. They are understaffed. for instance on a wing there is ten officers to look after over 200 cons. Sometimes less. More drug taffiking goes on inside than outside. A lot of swearing but he pulls no punches in telling it how he sees it. He cant stand bent screws, calls them cons with keys,

I know I'm younger than most on here, but I love to read and Michael Morpurgo is my favourite author, I love Private Peaceful, War Horse and some others by him.

I like the Hunger Games, The Noughts and Crosses series and many others.

The Butterfly Lion is a good read :)

Guest BlueBrett
ah, books are back....

seeing i now work for a bookshop and get massive discounts, i yhink my backlog is gonna become totally unmanagable soon...

just finished:

lasso round the moon - agnar mykle

the postman always rings twice - james cain

the anti-death league - kingsley amis

and intermittantly dropping in to a mary mccarthy biography...

start a new book, not sure which, have so many to get through, but really fancy rereading 'tender is the night' by f. scott fitzgerald....

YES! One of my favourites of all time and apparently the work Fitzgerald himself was most proud of.

Also Vanity Fair which you mentioned earlier easily breaks into my top 5.

Reading Don Quixote by Cervantes at the moment. Sometimes slow but often hilarious.

YES! One of my favourites of all time and apparently the work Fitzgerald himself was most proud of.

Also Vanity Fair which you mentioned earlier easily breaks into my top 5.

Reading Don Quixote by Cervantes at the moment. Sometimes slow but often hilarious.

bloody hell, where did you drag that post up from :o

still haven't got round to the fitzgerald reread.

still working my way through updike's 'rabbit' series, not helped by a detour into a collection of 'Saint' short stories, by leslie charteris...

Guest BlueBrett
bloody hell, where did you drag that post up from

still haven't got round to the fitzgerald reread.

still working my way through updike's 'rabbit' series, not helped by a detour into a collection of 'Saint' short stories, by leslie charteris...

lol! Only just realised there was a books thread and I skimmed the first ten pages or so of posts to see what sorts of titles people were coming out with. When I saw your mention of Tender is the night I couldn't help voicing my approval. Really is a beautiful story.

The remaining 32 pages will have to wait for another day but I've picked up a few useful recommendations already :)

lol! Only just realised there was a books thread and I skimmed the first ten pages or so of posts to see what sorts of titles people were coming out with. When I saw your mention of Tender is the night I couldn't help voicing my approval. Really is a beautiful story.

The remaining 32 pages will have to wait for another day but I've picked up a few useful recommendations already :)

cool,

yes it's a good thead, lots of different tastes....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Favourite book I read this year was definitely A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Absolutely stunning and very powerful novel - it made the Kite Runner (which I read soon after) seem bland, clichéd and tame by comparison.

41ZPETCM7ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived