Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Milan Mandaric has targeted leicester!

Thracian, your comment is absolute rubbish!

Why on earth would you rather watch poor championship football with a bunch of average kids in the team when you could watch Leicester competing in the premiership playing quality football against some of the best in Europe?

If you want to watch a group of players with whom you have no connection and who don't care about Leciester play in the Prem there are plenty of teams to choose from. :rolleyes:

well being a club with lots of money to spend would be lovely gettin in top class players etc, but i would much rather be a club who doesnt buy success they earn it themselves

Exactly.

We've been there before and can get there again.

Thracian, your comment is absolute rubbish!

Why on earth would you rather watch poor championship football with a bunch of average kids in the team when you could watch Leicester competing in the premiership playing quality football against some of the best in Europe?

Over 50 years, I have often enjoyed watching Leicester play second tier football better than first division stuff.

In the Matt Gillies days it was indeed thrilling to watch the top sides because you didn't see the likes of Law, Best, Charlton, Greaves, Osgood, Thomson, Callaghan etc very often and City had a smashing team that would give anyone a decent game and quite likely beat them.

Nowadays can see the best in the land on TV week in week out and I would weep to see City trying to face the likes of Chelsea or Manchester United today by plonking everyone behind the halfway line, defending for our lives and somehow trying to steal a goal from a free kick.

That wouldn't be a football match it would be a mockery just like Man City yesterday, or Fulham.

At least in the Championship I have a reasonable chance of watching a proper contest. I'd like us to win things, but I don't support Leicester for reflected glory. I enjoyed reserves and Academy matches far more than many first team games last season.

The Steve Claridge play-off final remains one of the great matches of my life. Ordinary Leicester v ordinary Crystal Palace.

Leicester City have always looked best to me when they've built a side and it has matured into a real force, a group of players that seem to say something on behalf of the club.

A team of bought in City mercenaries against Chelsea's Harlem Globetrotters has no particular appeal at all, thanks.

Over 50 years, I have often enjoyed watching Leicester play second tier football better than first division stuff.

In the Matt Gillies days it was indeed thrilling to watch the top sides because you didn't see the likes of Law, Best, Charlton, Greaves, Osgood, Thomson, Callaghan etc very often and City had a smashing team that would give anyone a decent game and quite likely beat them.

Nowadays can see the best in the land on TV week in week out and I would weep to see City trying to face the likes of Chelsea or Manchester United today by plonking everyone behind the halfway line, defending for our lives and somehow trying to steal a goal from a free kick.

That wouldn't be a football match it would be a mockery just like Man City yesterday, or Fulham.

At least in the Championship I have a reasonable chance of watching a proper contest. I'd like us to win things, but I don't support Leicester for reflected glory. I enjoyed reserves and Academy matches far more than many first team games last season.

The Steve Claridge play-off final remains one of the great matches of my life. Ordinary Leicester v ordinary Crystal Palace.

Leicester City have always looked best to me when they've built a side and it has matured into a real force, a group of players that seem to say something on behalf of the club.

A team of bought in City mercenaries against Chelsea's Harlem Globetrotters has no particular appeal at all, thanks.

lol lol lol

If you want to watch a group of players with whom you have no connection and who don't care about Leciester play in the Prem there are plenty of teams to choose from. :rolleyes:

So you didn't enjoy it when Matin O'Neil was here then. When we went to Old Trafford St James and Anfield and won. With players you had no connection with apart from Heskey.

From re-reading that post, it's slanted so much towards Mandaric that casual readers may well infer, as I did, that you were not "undecided" at all..

Those safeguards exist for a reason. As long as a new owner agrees to a blocking veto on transfer of ownership by a recognised supporters group, such as the Foxes Trust, than these safeguards can be maintained.

They give with one hand, but take back more with the other. Man Utd have put up all match ticket prices by £5 this season. With average gates of 75000 and 22 guaranteed home games, that's at least £8 million going back over the pond..

You don't think that players wages etc have any effect? Or agents fees? You know exactly what's going to happen to this money? Bloody hell! Give me Wednesday's lotto numbers now!!

Mandaric will not invest in something for nothing. Noone could dispute that, however what he did at Pompey was buy a club on the cheap, turn it around then, and this is the crucial bit, made his money back when he sold it on.

I don't need to be patronised regarding the safeguards, thank you. I've already acknowledged their existence, and have already stated that I am glad that they are there. You've wasted yours and my time by typing it out. Thank you.

The ****wittery on this thread gets better by the page, step forward Thracian and Ultra you really have excelled.

I never realised that the team I watched under Martin O'Neill was full of homegrown players who came through our Academy, someone forgot to send me the memo on that. I didn't know we never spent a penny on the likes of Savage, Fenton, Gunnlagson, Izzet, Lennon, Claridge, Cottee, Gilchrist, Flowers, Elliott, Guppy, Sinclair and Impey.

That must have been about 15m all told on those guys, why would we want to spend money on players in that ilk?

Some of you are just the type of Stepford fan Ronald and Dim Tim want, you keep up the good work and make sure we remain in this downward spiral :thumbup:

come on people, some of you sound like real eejuts! i would much rather a rollercoaster, bosmans, loads of foreigner players, maybe even foreign manager etc etc.

i've been eating asda value meals for ages now, i'd like to eat some of the 'extra special' range.

anything like this will be a nice change from the crap we've had.

one day we might go back to being crap like we are now again once milans come and gawn, but at least we will have tasted something different.

come on Thracian any football fan would prefer their club to be in the Premiership you only have to look at attendances to guage this.

I think you make some of your comments to cause a debate whether you truely mean what you say is another matter.

I've watched every Championship game on Sky this season and the standard of football mostly has been appalling. This is the predominant reason for low attendances, the league is littered with average players suited to Sunday league football.

The Premiership is the place to be and it is something that everyone aspires to. What ever advantage a club is offered they should take it, as all the other 23 clubs would do the same

So you didn't enjoy it when Matin O'Neil was here then. When we went to Old Trafford St James and Anfield and won. With players you had no connection with apart from Heskey.

I loved it under MON. He built that team and squeezed every last ounce from it. They made a statement.

How many years did Walshy and Elliott play for City. Or Muzzy and a few others.

I may be wrong but I don't think that would happen with Mandaric. It would all be quick fix and short term.

Players would be in and out like stallions at a stud farm!.

From re-reading that post, it's slanted so much towards Mandaric that casual readers may well infer, as I did, that you were not "undecided" at all..

Those safeguards exist for a reason. As long as a new owner agrees to a blocking veto on transfer of ownership by a recognised supporters group, such as the Foxes Trust, than these safeguards can be maintained.

They give with one hand, but take back more with the other. Man Utd have put up all match ticket prices by £5 this season. With average gates of 75000 and 22 guaranteed home games, that's at least £8 million going back over the pond..

I've pointed this out a thousand times but I oh well here I go again.

If this includes a five pound increase then it was about time :-/

EDIT: Someone tell me if that works!

Right time to enter my two pence worth.

1) We are a plc and if Glazer managed to get hold of Man Utd I don't see how anyone could stop MM. The only people who can really block any potential owner are the shareholders so if you feel strongly about this then help out the Foxes Trust.

2) Plenty of business are bought in hard times, in debt andthe company turned around look at Burberry or M&S. A football club is just like any other business in that respect. If MM thinks that buy spending a couple of million on players we can get in the premiership it is a potentially worthwhile venture given the additional revenue being in the premiership would bring. Obviously the flip side is that business ventures can go wrong, whether this would result in a loss of LCFC or MM is more debatable.

3) I not really sure there is much difference between MM money and the money we would get if we got into the premiership. Everyone seems to be moaning about buying your way to success but since when exactly has football not been based on that. How many, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Newcastle etc players are proper academy players and not just poached youth. Apart from Heskey who in MON team was home-grown. So the line between building a team and buying a team is a pretty blurred one as far as i can see. Most of the big teams spend at around 20 million a season on players.

4) MM record at Pompey, ignoring anything on the football side, seems perfectly respectable. He didn't leave them wallowing in lots of debt and they probably have a much healthier profit/turnover than the pre MM era.

I'm by no means rooting for MM but if we end up with better both in terms of our football and our business I'd be happy. Premiership football is just so far removed from anything grass roots these days, Sad but true.

How many years in the doldrums would you puritans accept before you accept what every sane thinking person already knows-: That it takes money to progress in football today? Thank heavens the majority on this board would prefer Leicester not to go through what Sheffield Wednesday, Burnley and many others have done. And how many years in the doldrums have we waited for some local "white knight" to come and rescue the club? Come on guys.....there's playing devil's advocate and there's playing the fool!!!

What you also have to remember is that he sold Pompey, so he did get a return for his investment. Surely making us a more viable and attractive proposition is better than sitting and hoping our youngsters make it. After all, our recent track record isn't that great. Discounting Piper because of his injuries so we will never know how good he really would be, the only player we've produced since Lineker who has had any success is Heskey.

And it's not like Manderic has a bottomless pit of cash to throw in anyway. It'll be no different to Jack Walker or whatsisname at Wolves' money. Is it the fact that Manderic isn't a City fan that puts people off? Funny, because it looks to me like the same people all for the Tiggers invasion that are against this. Make up yer minds.

In fact don't we have people here on the board who openley support other clubs?

I loved it under MON. He built that team and squeezed every last ounce from it. They made a statement.

I may be wrong but I don't think that would happen with Mandaric. It would all be quick fix and short term.

Todorov

Primus

Hughes

Taylor

O'Neil

:whistle:

The ****wittery on this thread gets better by the page, step forward Thracian and Ultra you really have excelled.

At least we've shown that we're not prepared to roll over and bite the pillow whenever someone flashes a wad at us...

I never realised that the team I watched under Martin O'Neill was full of homegrown players who came through our Academy, someone forgot to send me the memo on that. I didn't know we never spent a penny on the likes of Savage, Fenton, Gunnlagson, Izzet, Lennon, Claridge, Cottee, Gilchrist, Flowers, Elliott, Guppy, Sinclair and Impey.

O'Neill achieved what he did with us without the need for a sugar daddy, or even a decent ground or board. That's why he's respected throughout the land. If he could do it, why can't others, especially now we have a stadium and facilities that can cater for our fan base?

Some of you are just the type of Stepford fan Ronald and Dim Tim want, you keep up the good work and make sure we remain in this downward spiral :thumbup:

OK then, I'll stay at home next time the club has an open meeting, and whinge away at my keyboard instead. It's obviously far more productive than speaking directly to Tim Davies about such things as stewarding, smoking bans etc...

Right time to enter my two pence worth.

1) We are a plc and if Glazer managed to get hold of Man Utd I don't see how anyone could stop MM. The only people who can really block any potential owner are the shareholders so if you feel strongly about this then help out the Foxes Trust.

we are not a plc we are a limited company since administration your other points are very valid though

not been for some years

At least we've shown that we're not prepared to roll over and bite the pillow whenever someone flasshes a wad at us...

O'Neill achieved what he did with us without the need for a sugar daddy, or even a decent ground or board. That's why he's respected throughout the land. If he could do it, why can't others?

OK then, I'll stay at home next time the club has an open meeting, and whinge away at my keyboard instead. It's obviously far more productive than speaking directly to Tim Davies about such things as stewarding, smoking bans etc...

Sorry Ultra thats utter rubbish, It's alright to buy decent players who care nothing for the club as long as some gezzer who has nothing to do with Leicester City didn't supply the cash?

Some good points Finn Claw.

I don't know whether you've dealt seriously in Stocks and Shares, that is investing in companies for real.

I have and some have been successfully taken over. Far more have sunk without trace.

Like you I don't know if City would disappear if everything fell flat. Nor do I say or imply for a minute that MM would categorically not be any good for City.

But, like I say, even friendly takeovers often fail to work in the short or medium term.

However there's little doubt overall that the fans on here would go for speculation rather than what they see as stagnation.

And people will doubtless in time delight in throwing my view back at me. But I've sounded a warning. I hope its unfounded and that the majority of fans prove right and that the club goes from strength to strength for the forseeable future.

It would be no consolation to me for the opposite to happen.

What a ridcolous assumption.

Archived