Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Should Fryatt automatically get back in the team?

When he's fully fit  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Or are Hume & Elvis the new SAS

• Yes
    • No
    • He can drive the bus instead

I guess it's the same issue we have with goalies at the moment - Henderson did well enough against Villa, so does he deserve to be dropped?

I think the difference is form prior to being replaced - Logan was one of our best players and simply rested for Villa, so he doesn't deserve to (and shouldn't) be left out on Saturday because of one game.

Fryatt wasn't playing well, could have been dropped before he got injured. Hammond came in and has done well. Admittedly Elvis probably has less long-term potential and lacks some of Fryatt's qualities, but I think RK should probably have Fryatt on the bench until he has a justifiable reason to put him back in (i.e. Elvis' form drops, Elvis gets injured or Matty comes off the bench to score).

I like Fryatt and would love to see him back to scoring ways, but I think it sends out the wrong message if he comes straight in. We want competition among the first team, so show them that if they play well they will stay in.

Very sensible.

Fryatt should return on the bench, if he is as good as some of you make out his class will over come and it won't do him any harm to realise, he has to perform for a place in the team. Competition for places is a good thing and nobody should be guarenteed a place in the starting eleven.

Fryatt should return on the bench, if he is as good as some of you make out his class will over come and it won't do him any harm to realise, he has to perform for a place in the team. Competition for places is a good thing and nobody should be guarenteed a place in the starting eleven.

Yes. Bravo. :thumbup: That makes the most sense and it means people will have to perform at a high level and actually do something for the team before they get to play. It'll also keep people on their toes I suppose, as I'm under the impression that Fryatt was getting a little too complacent before he was injured.

It's like Man United playing Saha and Smith upfront whilst Rooney is injured and them doing quite well. Do you think Fergie would have any problems about dropping one of them to bring Rooney back in? Would he bollocks. He plays his best players when available.

By the way, i'm not trying to make out that Fryatt is in the same league as Rooney but he's very talented and when fit he should be in the starting line-up. Has Fergie left Rooney out when he's hit a bad spell? Has Mourinho left Shevchenko out when he's not been scoring? The answers NO and both of those teams have far more quality at their disposal to bring in to the team than we do.

If a player is out of the side for whatever reason and his deputy steps in and does a good job then he should stay in the team on merit. Otherwise what sort of message are you sending to Hammond ? It should also make Fryatt sharper to realise that he has to play well to get in the side and keep his place. Thats the sort of ethic you want in your side, players knowing they have to play well to stay in the team. Otherwise players become complacent and dont perform to their potential ( Fryatt and Hume at the start of the season ?? )

When Fryatt comes back I would play

-------------------------Logan

Kenton Kisnorbo McAuley/McCarthy Nisse

------------Stearman Weso Welsh

Hammond ----- ------Fryatt -------------Hume

With hammond dropping into the right winger role and geting behind their defence, could bring out the left back and a centre back leaving space in the middle.

If a player is out of the side for whatever reason and his deputy steps in and does a good job then he should stay in the team on merit. Otherwise what sort of message are you sending to Hammond ? It should also make Fryatt sharper to realise that he has to play well to get in the side and keep his place. Thats the sort of ethic you want in your side, players knowing they have to play well to stay in the team. Otherwise players become complacent and dont perform to their potential ( Fryatt and Hume at the start of the season ?? )

I have to agree, I advocate players being picked on merit. Managers tend to break this rule regularly and there are also certain players where an exception is made due to their reputation and past exploits for their club. Such as has done recently, etc. I don't know whethegr I agree with it or not, it's hard.

Elvis has played alright, If he had banged three of four goals and shown some talent I would understand this debate. If playing alright is all you have to do to keep your place in this team fair enough :unsure: .

he has pace and good workrate that works better in terms of team performance than skill and class...

I said this in the team for QPR thread but if I were to play 4-4-2 atm (Which RK obviously will), it'd be:

Henderson (for now after Tuesday's heroics)

Maybury (rb)

McAuley

Kisnorbo

Nils (lb)

Stearman (he can't be worse than Low or Sylla surely?!)

Weso

Tiatto

Welsh

Elvis

Huuuuuuume

-------------------------------------

4-3-3 would go:

Logan

Stearman

McAuley

Kisnorbo

Nils

Williams

Weso

Welsh

Hammond

Huuuuuuuuuume

Fryatt

I think some people are forgetting that Hammond is a shi tter who some sides who clearly haven't done their homework, panic about because he is quick. He's 26.. he's not going to get any better.

I wouldn't necessarily drop Hammond for Fryatt straight away, but Fryatt is an infinitely better player.

Fryatt - Good application, more ability, more poise, better finishing, gets in good positions, rarely offside, thinks about the game, good movement.

Elvis - Quick. Comical.

I think some people are forgetting that Hammond is a shi tter who some sides who clearly haven't done their homework, panic about because he is quick. He's 26.. he's not going to get any better.

I wouldn't necessarily drop Hammond for Fryatt straight away, but Fryatt is an infinitely better player.

Fryatt - Good application, more ability, more poise, better finishing, gets in good positions, rarely offside, thinks about the game, good movement.

Elvis - Quick. Comical.

Humour is important to us Leicester fans, who lead very stressful lives. :P

Elvis - Quick. Comical.

He's already got better than he was last season and so has Nils who is older. Sylla is another who's got better, though not by enough so why Hammond shouldn't keep improving I've no idea.

Fryatt: Good application (not especially this season).

More ability - hard to define so I won't bother.

More poise - yes he's elegant but perhaps he wouldn't be at Hammond's pace.

Better finishing - not this season and he's missed some he should have scored.

Gets in good positions - I don't think Hammond has worked any fewer shooting positions.

Rarely offside - Hammond would have had three more goals last season if he hadn't been robbed by the linesmen.

Thinks about the game: To nebulous to discuss.

Good movement - Hammond moves as well or even better.

Elvis quick: he's bloody quick.

I think a lot of people are missing you point here !!!!

Fryatt has just come back from a injury, which means firstly he is not 100% Physically Fit, not to mention his match fitness !!

Yes there is an issue when Fryatt is fully fit, but i think he needs to fight for his place, and i'm sure he knows that.

Leicester have done really well since he has been injured, and they are starting to put together some really sloid performances. More importantly is the consistance which seems to be apparent in the side at the moment.

To change it would be madness.

He's already got better than he was last season and so has Nils who is older. Sylla is another who's got better, though not by enough so why Hammond shouldn't keep improving I've no idea.

Fryatt: Good application (not especially this season).

More ability - hard to define so I won't bother.

More poise - yes he's elegant but perhaps he wouldn't be at Hammond's pace.

Better finishing - not this season and he's missed some he should have scored.

Gets in good positions - I don't think Hammond has worked any fewer shooting positions.

Rarely offside - Hammond would have had three more goals last season if he hadn't been robbed by the linesmen.

Thinks about the game: To nebulous to discuss.

Good movement - Hammond moves as well or even better.

Elvis quick: he's bloody quick.

Fryatt's already had 2 disallowed wrongly this season.

What do you suggest we do with Fryatt then Thrac??

a) I think Bold Fox has made an important point about Fryatt's fitness so for that reason as well as others I'd bring him back from the bench.

b) If all three main strikers were fit (and its funny how fast everyone's forgotten O'Grady/Dodds) I might consider an alternative system IF we don't solve our right wing problem (and Porter/Gradel are the way forward there).

I'm loathe to change the partnership of Hume/Hammond cos it works and they offer more as a partnership than Hume/Fryatt.

But, I'm also convinced Hammond could play wider (not specifically as a winger) and Hume could play in the hole so there is the potential to play all three in a 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 formation. I would certainly be looking at those options on the training ground.

Fryatt's already had 2 disallowed wrongly this season.

think in a couple of games when fryatt gets a bit of time on the pitch...i d try to use hume and hammond as the ball getters for fryatt....until now we shouldnt worry so much....the defence, midfield and attack are considerably better in recent games..a few bench games make fryatt more hungry to prove his point....

a) I think Bold Fox has made an important point about Fryatt's fitness so for that reason as well as others I'd bring him back from the bench.

b) If all three main strikers were fit (and its funny how fast everyone's forgotten O'Grady/Dodds) I might consider an alternative system IF we don't solve our right wing problem (and Porter/Gradel are the way forward there).

I'm loathe to change the partnership of Hume/Hammond cos it works and they offer more as a partnership than Hume/Fryatt.

But, I'm also convinced Hammond could play wider (not specifically as a winger) and Hume could play in the hole so there is the potential to play all three in a 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 formation. I would certainly be looking at those options on the training ground.

Thrac, what did you prefer to see.

Hume and Fryatt in the form they were in under Kelly last season.

Hume and Hammond in the form they've been in over the past 4-5 games?

Many a person feels it would be good to bring Fryatt back from the bench - if he's rushed he could well injure himself again. It also shows him, as I said before, that he isn't always guaranteed to play and could give him incentive he needs to start scoring goals.

The main strikers thing, O'Grady can hold the ball up well, but other than that he's displayed that he is a slow Elvis Hammond, and there are people on here that don't even want Elvis to play, so they definitely will not call for COG in. Also, I can't see RK calling up Gradel this season unless we have more injuries than we have atm, and so I think you should put that one to rest right now lol I'd like to see him play if he's as good as the stats show and you make him out to be, but with Low and Sylla playing in the team, and RK having used Hughes, Maybury and Stearman there this season as well, it won't happen this term you'd have to think.

If anything though, I wouldn't play 3-4-3 for us as we don't have enough midfielders who can stay fit AND win the ball, so if the formation were to change, I reckon it'd be a safer alternative to play 4 at the back, a la 4-3-3 (which I have outlined already in this thread).

think in a couple of games when fryatt gets a bit of time on the pitch...i d try to use hume and hammond as the ball getters for fryatt....until now we shouldnt worry so much....the defence, midfield and attack are considerably better in recent games..a few bench games make fryatt more hungry to prove his point....

When you consider Fryatt's two and Hammond three plus the penalty he won, our strikers are showing up a bit better than people think overall but we've got to be careful not to judge everything on the actual goals because it IS a team effort.

All three can be greedy at times and if their goals tally is all selection will be based on they'll be more greedy. What I pointed out is that the team is consistently scoring more with Hammond around.

There could be reasons other than just Hammond for that but I wouldn't want to go back from there. Using all three, however, we may do even better and there have certainly been two or three occasions lately when there were opportunities to try such an approach in an effort to change the game.

We need to find out how well such an alternative approach can work.

I rarely think much of like-for-like changes. Apart from injuries, changes aimed at winning games should pose the opposition new problems, invite them to shuffle their own system a bit and perhaps get caught out.

Archived