Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kilworthfox

Stadium choice!

If you had the choice between Leicester City playing at The Walkers stadium of at Filbert Street which one would you choose?

If its the walkers you have to put up with the bad atmosphere, and having no emotional attatchment, or memories, and a lack of tradition

You do though have a modern stadium, much improved revinues, easy to get hold of tickets, and good views throughout the ground.

If its Filbert Street you have smaller crowds, terracing (well it was), great atmosphere, the spiritual home, poor views in places, poor playing surface come winter, less revinues throuh smaller gates and smaller hospitality, You have tradition, the PHG, and an affection that you cannot place on the crappy old place.

The choice if you had it is yours!

Edited, the poll did not appear could you re do it please to include one? Thanks

If you had the choice between Leicester City playing at The Walkers stadium of at Filbert Street which one would you choose?

If its the walkers you have to put up with the bad atmosphere, and having no emotional attatchment, or memories, and a lack of tradition

You do though have a modern stadium, much improved revinues, easy to get hold of tickets, and good views throughout the ground.

If its Filbert Street you have smaller crowds, terracing (well it was), great atmosphere, the spiritual home, poor views in places, poor playing surface come winter, less revinues throuh smaller gates and smaller hospitality, You have tradition, the PHG, and an affection that you cannot place on the crappy old place.

The choice if you had it is yours!

We have to move on mate!

As glorious as it was as a teenager standing in the Penns and cheering on the lads to deafening noise, knowing all the history that had gone by just feet infront of us I would have to say the Walkers. Its going to take time for it to give us great memories and its going to take time to get a great atmosphere at the ground although people are obviously trying to do there best to get that going. Gone but defo not forgotten!

I've seen lots of both - including the crowds of 40,000 at Filbert Street when we used to sit on the gravel track around the pitch.

And, while I bemoan the loss of atmosphere, the homeliness of it all and other factors, it was out of time and we have to look forward and do all e can to re-create what we once had.

Occasionally, as against Aston Villa, we show that it can be done. But it's harder. Rules have changed, health and safety issues have emerged.

But the Walkers is still a place to be proud of and we need to move on from the past and make our new home the best it can be.

It's like losing your dog really - and that's is something I can equate to. Losing an irreplaceable friend is devastating.

But you have to put it behind you, enjoy the memories, think back with affection and gratitude for having known those times, but look forward, live for the day and look forward to the adventures yet to come.

Should have stayed at Filbo, extended the Carling Stand around the North and East sides, and left the Double Decker as it was. Would have been done for a similar prices to buidling the Walkers (by the time the houses on Filbert St and Burnmoor St were bought and demolished), but been a much better ground, and probably bigger, and retained some of the history and character.

If Martin O'Neill deemed lcfc needed a new ground than its good enough for me, we have only limited history at walkers and i agree it takes time, its also true you dont know what you got till its gone. the walkers is our home now and will be for a few 10's of decades to come.

as for the question walkers or filbo? It has to be Filbo. my main reason for this is the modern grounds are all flat packs and look the same - they lack individual character (cov, sunderland, boro, wolves to name a few of the top of my head. old grounds like filbo have the individual character, this rule couns for most grounds and clubs, im sure scousers will be having the same debate when they move from anfield to their new home. Bottom line in a few decades when we have history at walkers (and possibly a new name like Filbert way) my opinion may change.

Filbo with the atmos vs Cambridge Utd (where the hell are they now?) in the 2nd leg of our first ever play off.

Bootiful.

WOW WHAT A NIGHT THAT WAS, REMEMBER GRAYSONS MISS HIT CORNER THAT WAS TURNED IN, THE LOUD GROANS WHEN HE MISS HIT IT, THEN THE EXSPLOSION WHEN IT GOT TURNED IN. WHAT A NIGHT!!!!

Filbert Street!

Smaller crowds - TBH we had more fans turn up to Filbert Street than we do the Walkers, The Walkers has got the bigger capacity, but we in week out we had more go to Filbert Street.

Terracing (well it was) - Good!

Great Atmosphere - Good

The Spiritual Home - Good!

Poor Views In Places - Unlucky, In out current posisition people may enjoy looking at posts rather than the "football"

Poor Playing Surface Come Winter - We get that occasionally when the Egg chashers come anyway.

Less Revinues Through Smaller Gates & Smaller Hospitality - As I said above, We had more week in week out turn up at Filbert Street. So surly not?

You have tradition - And History, and passion...Great!

and an affection that you cannot place on the crappy old place...I could die for it!

Filbert Street ANYDAY.

Filbert Street!

Smaller crowds - TBH we had more fans turn up to Filbert Street than we do the Walkers, The Walkers has got the bigger capacity, but we in week out we had more go to Filbert Street.

Terracing (well it was) - Good!

Great Atmosphere - Good

The Spiritual Home - Good!

Poor Views In Places - Unlucky, In out current posisition people may enjoy looking at posts rather than the "football"

Poor Playing Surface Come Winter - We get that occasionally when the Egg chashers come anyway.

Less Revinues Through Smaller Gates & Smaller Hospitality - As I said above, We had more week in week out turn up at Filbert Street. So surly not?

You have tradition - And History, and passion...Great!

and an affection that you cannot place on the crappy old place...I could die for it!

Filbert Street ANYDAY.

I prsented an arguement either way as both have good and bad points

Filbo was obviously great but like most people have already said "you have to move on!"

There wernt many people objecting building the walkers in 2001 and the cheers when the move was approved and planning permission obtained was amazing.

There have been some great games at the walkers and great atmospheres just like filbo, but the difficaulties with atmosphere and home feeling have been largely down to the sides plummit to the lower reaches to the championship. Everyone remembers filbo for 1994 - 2001 these were our glory days and if we were 5th bottom of the championship still with filbo we would be a less appealing team than Barnsley.

the move was beter for everyone at the time and still is, move on.

Filbo with the atmos vs Cambridge Utd (where the hell are they now?) in the 2nd leg of our first ever play off.

Bootiful.

Well I'm still here and remember it like it was yesterday along with all the other memories..but it's through rose coloured specs...deep down I knew the ground was not good enough (that moment came when MON said in a TV interview that he always took new or prospective signings backwards out of the Carling stand and onto the pitch!) and although the atmosphere was great can you imagine the stick we would get if we ever make it back to the promised land?...we had to move on along with everyone else! :cry:

I would have to say walkers because although Filbert Street was quality like sheephead said we have to move on.

I think we get more fans at the walkers as well, because no way would Filbert Street reach 20,000 for a home game against Luton when we are playing shite.

Also if we didn't move to the Walkers from Filbert Street a lot of people would be asking for a new ground and a lot of people would extremely pissed off if the club was only thinking about leaving filbert street.

Great memories of filbo, but you just have to move on.

The lack of atmosphere at the minute is due to not being given anything to shout about.

Remeber how the walkers was rocking when tommy wright scored that goal againt forest and hignett equalised against arsenal?

If we'd had the Walkers a few seasons earlier, we'd have kept Martin O'Neill. He wanted it and it could have taken us to the next level with him. As it was, with a capacity of 22,500 he took us as far as he could.

As mentioned above, we get around 20,000 now for our least attractive figures. 17,000 or more used to be a good crowd at Filbo.

Yes, great memories and all that, but remember the excitement when we knew we were moving?

Archived